IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Snowed yesterday.

Mr.SamuraiSword

Yesterday it snowed in the eastern part of CT.  Where i live it snowed for around 4 hours, and the temp ranged from 38f to 32.  my potted unprotected windmill did well, while my other palms stayed indoors.  anyone else having strange weather?  and should i have kept my potted sabal palmetto outside?  

Wow, I can't complain about being in a drought anymore. I'd much rather go without rain for a couple of months than have snow. Our low temps have been steady around 57F for about a week now and I've been debating on whether or not to bring in my small Cyrtostachys Rendas. But with highs in the mid-80's and good humidity in the early morning hours, I figure it's better to keep them outside for now. What's the most cold-sensitive palm that you have?

Also, I think it was a good idea to leave your Sabal Palmetto outside in the snow. Especially since temps were mostly above freezing. But I wouldn't keep a potted Sabal Palmetto outside once temps fall below 30F for very long.  I guess it also depends on whether you plan to keep it in a pot forever or eventually try to plant it outside with protection in CT. If you want to try and plant it outside then I would definently expose it to some cold at a young age. 

51 minutes ago, nitsua0895 said:

Wow, I can't complain about being in a drought anymore. I'd much rather go without rain for a couple of months than have snow. Our low temps have been steady around 57F for about a week now and I've been debating on whether or not to bring in my small Cyrtostachys Rendas. But with highs in the mid-80's and good humidity in the early morning hours, I figure it's better to keep them outside for now. What's the most cold-sensitive palm that you have?

Also, I think it was a good idea to leave your Sabal Palmetto outside in the snow. Especially since temps were mostly above freezing. But I wouldn't keep a potted Sabal Palmetto outside once temps fall below 30F for very long.  I guess it also depends on whether you plan to keep it in a pot forever or eventually try to plant it outside with protection in CT. If you want to try and plant it outside then I would definently expose it to some cold at a young age. 

It was chilly about 5 days ago: Sunday morning my personal weather station hit 43 degrees. So I think that most of the FL Panhandle got into the mid-40s at least. I didn't like it, I was even worried for my potted coconuts. Thankfully I don't think there was a drop of frost anywhere that morning.

18 minutes ago, Opal92 said:

It was chilly about 5 days ago: Sunday morning my personal weather station hit 43 degrees. So I think that most of the FL Panhandle got into the mid-40s at least. I didn't like it, I was even worried for my potted coconuts. Thankfully I don't think there was a drop of frost anywhere that morning.

Yeah I think we may have hit 39F one of those mornings. I brought in most of my ultra-sensitive plants but I don't think we saw any kind of frost either. Have you received any rain recently? 

9 minutes ago, nitsua0895 said:

Yeah I think we may have hit 39F one of those mornings. I brought in most of my ultra-sensitive plants but I don't think we saw any kind of frost either. Have you received any rain recently? 

Haven't gotten any rain in about a month. I really don't like it. I think all my palms (palm seedlings especially) were really liking and growing well in the humid very warm weather before. Well at least we aren't getting freezes. I remember in 2009 or 2010 we went below 30 degrees before November- not fun.

32 minutes ago, Opal92 said:

Haven't gotten any rain in about a month. I really don't like it. I think all my palms (palm seedlings especially) were really liking and growing well in the humid very warm weather before. Well at least we aren't getting freezes. I remember in 2009 or 2010 we went below 30 degrees before November- not fun.

Yeah I'm fine with having to water my palms almost every day if it wants to stay this warm. In November of 2014 it got to 16F here one morning. That should be our absolute minimum each year so I couldn't believe it happened so early. 

Just now, nitsua0895 said:

Yeah I'm fine with having to water my palms almost every day if it wants to stay this warm. In November of 2014 it got to 16F here one morning. That should be our absolute minimum each year so I couldn't believe it happened so early. 

Yes I remember that! that was not fun. It got to mid 20's during that event here. Really hoping for another 9b winter like this past one!

Dang! We didn't even have our first frost yet! Normally that comes in mid November to early December here. 

PalmTreeDude

On October 28, 2016 10:06:17 AM, nitsua0895 said:

That happens in my area too, a few years ago… 16F in November, then 30F in Dec. and January followed by 16F again in February. It was a crazy winter that year. Oh yeah and no snow in the last few years here. 

Edited by Palm crazy

Been sunny and topping out in the mid to high 80 for the last few weeks down here with lows in the 60's and low humidity.  Picture perfect weather!!

How about a picture of palms in the snow?

• Upvote 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 3 weeks later...

We got our first "frozen" precipitation here in Saturday with that nasty cold front that brought 2 full days of winds over 50mph.  It was in the form of sleet Saturday evening around 4:30 Saturday afternoon.   At 3pm it was mostly sunny and 71F.  By 4 the first gusts of wind came through and then all hell broke loose not long after.   By 4:30 it has dropped to  35f going down to 29 that night.   YUK.   

We always have strange weather here in Oklahoma, it got 25F the other night and was our first freeze which is unusual. My small windmill palms were unprotected and they did very well. I left a tray of Windmill seedlings out with just the bottom covered with leaves and they also did fine. I just now wrapped with lights in case it gets too cold.I don't want to push them too far.