IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ficus Dammoropsis

Briank

Hello Everyone! 

So I got all my Ficus Dammoropsis finally! So exited! Wanted to post pics and get people's opinions, story's on yours or others you know that have them.   

Knew nothing of this plant till Josh told me about them and Auriculata. 

I just got into palms about 2 yrs ago and still learning on those. But as I ran out of real estate I started looking for other cool rare tropical plants.   From my research on them they look awesome.  I love big ass leaf plants, palms, Alocasia's.  I can't wait to have a yard full of big floppy's!  My vision is to have everything you can imagine with big leaves mixed with my palms & Bromeliads! 

Everyone is into rare slow growing Dypsis palms or whatever.  My passion is big & floppy leafs.  I want to be different and it's what my passion is.  So I'm growing these and several variety of Alocasia's!  

Already realized I need to water them religiously as I lost some leaves on my bigger one, got it in ground today and watered it crazy  lol can't be losing the hard to get Ficus's! 

Will post some pictures when I can upload them, can't seem to upload them from phone.  

Dammaropsis LOVE water in my experience here in SoCal.

Planted in shade the leaves are flatter and the plant tends to grow upwards . 

Planted in sun the leaves tend to have more pronounced ripples and the plant tends to sprawl out instead of growing up.

If your plants are well rooted in the pots, don't waste too much time getting them planted.  They want to be in the ground . 

OH, did I mention?  ...they LOVE water.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I found out the hard way. Had a 5ga I put outside to try to figure where I was gonna plant it.  Got that rain Monday, figured it was good on water a few days. Went looked at it Thursday again, and 2 leaves fell off! Freaked out you know they are not cheap lol. 

I put in ground right away, and watered the hell out of it. Gonna go water it again right now.   It's on drip but my drip only goes 3x week.  

So hand watering it as well. 

13 hours ago, Hammer said:

Dammaropsis LOVE water in my experience here in SoCal.

Planted in shade the leaves are flatter and the plant tends to grow upwards . 

Planted in sun the leaves tend to have more pronounced ripples and the plant tends to sprawl out instead of growing up.

If your plants are well rooted in the pots, don't waste too much time getting them planted.  They want to be in the ground . 

OH, did I mention?  ...they LOVE water.

How is the growth rate of yours? Have you had them a while? I have mine in Part Sun Part shade.  Kind of against the front wall of my front yard.  Pulled a Phoenix Rub I Had there.  Didn't have another spot that was on drip. But I think its a good spot.  I have 3 other smaller ones in pots still trying to find good spot. But wanted that one in the front of house to show off the front yard with everything else.

I planted this one in July of '14.  It was a two or three  leafer in a 5 gal.  

It was shorter than the brick part of the wall behind it.  Notice the light tan stick.  That is a yard stick.

The plant has spread to a left to right distance of 10 to 12 feet across at its widest.

20161028_163023.jpg

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Hammer said:

I planted this one in July of '14.  It was a two or three  leafer in a 5 gal.  

It was shorter than the brick part of the wall behind it.  Notice the light tan stick.  That is a yard stick.

The plant has spread to a left to right distance of 10 to 12 feet across at its widest.

20161028_163023.jpg

Looking good Adam!

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Hammer said:

don't waste too much time getting them planted.

4 hours ago, Briank said:

I have 3 other smaller ones in pots still trying to find good spot.

The sooner you get them into the ground the better.  I got mine about the same time as Hammer did in 2014 or maybe a little earlier.  I actually got two, one for me and another for a friend who was looking for one.  My friend Gene put his into a cutoff plastic trashcan from the 5 gallon right away, and I waited without transplanting or putting it in the ground.  Gene's put out branches, while mine stalled.  It started branching immediately after planting it.  Water.... yes they love it.  Despite plenty of water, the top leaves on mine fried when we hit 104 on the coast a few weeks back.  They may handle heat better if accustom to it, but we normally peak in the high 80's on hot days, and have plenty of marine layer days during summer to create natural air conditioning.  Oh and you can ignore that little Dypsis ovobontsira in the foreground of my photo.  I just planted that baby and hope that at least while it's small the wall to it's west, and the F dammaropsis will give it a little shade.  The house is to the east, so both of these plants get early morning and late afternoon shade in summer.  There is also a D lutescens clump to the south of the F dammaropsis which gives winter shade when the sun is in it's low arc.

20161015-104A4458.jpg

• Upvote 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Here are my Pics... The one in the ground had 2 more leaves but they fell off.  Now its in and watered!

The other 3 are from a different source, said to be a little different form of Ficus D.  Leaves look a little more elongated, and said to have a Red Form down center of Leave.  We will see when it gets bigger!

ficus 2.png

ficus 3.png

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Briank said:

Here are my Pics... The one in the ground had 2 more leaves but they fell off.  Now its in and watered!

The other 3 are from a different source, said to be a little different form of Ficus D.  Leaves look a little more elongated, and said to have a Red Form down center of Leave.  We will see when it gets bigger!

ficus 2.png

ficus 3.png

Brian, the 3 plants in that second picture look like something else.  Not at all like Ficus dammaropsis to me . 

Congratulations to all who are lucky enough to grow this one! Thanks for the photos and information. I too love big leaved plants, and small ones and pretty much all of them!

Mine is getting plenty of rain right this minute!

Cindy Adair

20 hours ago, Hammer said:

Brian, the 3 plants in that second picture look like something else.  Not at all like Ficus dammaropsis to me . 

Rolled the dice, beautiful thing is they grow pretty fast, we will find out right?!  Not to worried about it.  I have a pic of the mother plant. Will send in DM to ya.

23 hours ago, Hammer said:

I have the same thing, from the same source as Brian. As a small plant it doesn't look that much different than the larger one I have when it was about the same size. The leaves are getting elongated and floppy because it's growing maddeningly fast, but I have a feeling that they will firm up and get corrugated once the plant gets some size and into more heat and sun.

Or, we might even have the lowland form, which is an even bigger score. :greenthumb:

1Bieavd.jpg

Here's my larger one (different source though), with red veins, and a bright new red leaf:

g070vMo.jpg

VXmvfKs.jpg

Edited by Pando
  • Upvote 1

Just for comparison, here is my large one (seen above) when it was small in a 1g pot, about 2-1/2 years ago (June 17, 2014). Note the flat elongated leaves.

BheCmJm.jpg

and the same thing less than two months later (Aug 9, 2014), shortly before I put it into the ground:

ZxKxXyg.jpg

Edited by Pando

8 hours ago, Pando said:

I have the same thing, from the same source as Brian. As a small plant it doesn't look that much different than the larger one I have when it was about the same size. The leaves are getting elongated and floppy because it's growing maddeningly fast, but I have a feeling that they will firm up and get corrugated once the plant gets some size and into more heat and sun.

Or, we might even have the lowland form, which is an even bigger score. :greenthumb:

1Bieavd.jpg

@Pando - this one looks like it was seed grown. Do you know if there are viable seeds being produced in the US or is someone importing them?

It could be seed grown, considering the tiny leaves it came with. Air-layered plants that are sold have typically larger leaves to begin with.

It's more likely that the seeds are shipped from PNG, unless someone has unlocked the secret to pollinate them artificially.

• Upvote 1

The picture above was taken 3 months ago. Here's how the plant looks today. The smaller leaves are now gone, and it's beginning to branch. The leaves are soft and floppy, due to it being in a shade and growing extremely fast.

t0sapVo.jpg

TjAEIAt.jpg

1FA8iTy.jpg

• 9 months later...

Bump. Any updates @Pando? Mine is still in a 5 gal. pot but shooting up fast.I'm curious what the mature plant will look like. Need to get it into the ground! On another note, will these be happy in deep shade for a long time?

Matt,

I started mine in shade. It has now grown into the sun.

Perhaps when they are small, some protection from all day sun for you. As it grows.....and it will, then more direct sun for longer periods.

For the first year, the plant seemed to acclimate. After that, it has been a rocket ship!

Plant it!

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

Bump. Any updates @Pando? Mine is still in a 5 gal. pot but shooting up fast.I'm curious what the mature plant will look like. Need to get it into the ground! On another note, will these be happy in deep shade for a long time?

I potted it up, and right after it slowed down considerably and lost the lower leaves, but it is recovering. Not too exciting right now, the pictures above look better.

9 minutes ago, Pando said:

I potted it up, and right after it slowed down considerably and lost the lower leaves, but it is recovering. Not too exciting right now, the pictures above look better.

That's annoying. Mine took off after potting up to a 5 gal. Wondering what this form will look like when it gets big!

IMG_9950.JPG

IMG_9951.JPG

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Matt in OC said:

That's annoying. Mine took off after potting up to a 5 gal. Wondering what this form will look like when it gets big!

Yours looks great, Matt, I can tell it's the same form that I have. Slightly elongated, floppier leaves than a typical F. damm.

• Upvote 1

The leaves will harden and assume a more undulating pattern as the plant ages, yours are just exhibiting the juvenile traits and will soon "grow out of it" ;)

• Upvote 1

rare flowering trees, palms and other exotics

On 8/12/2017, 1:33:19, Scott Cohen said:

The leaves will harden and assume a more undulating pattern as the plant ages, yours are just exhibiting the juvenile traits and will soon "grow out of it" ;)

agreed!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

On 8/11/2017, 7:16:21, Matt in OC said:

IMG_9950.JPG

IMG_9951.JPG

Matt, why did you pot it up in a 5 gal?

are you still trying to figure out a location for your fine Dammy?

Sunset zone 24

4 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

Matt, why did you pot it up in a 5 gal?

are you still trying to figure out a location for your fine Dammy?

Yup. I also wanted it to get some size in case the kids get a little raucous near it. 

Just now, Matt in OC said:

Yup. I also wanted it to get some size in case the kids get a little raucous near it. 

lol... I hear that. did you make an air layer of a tree for yours?

Sunset zone 24

17 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

lol... I hear that. did you make an air layer of a tree for yours?

No. This was an eBay buy. Looking forward to trying air layering. 

23 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

No. This was an eBay buy. Looking forward to trying air layering. 

there is defiantly a trick to it. I have set over 20 air layers this year on Ficus Dammies with a solid success rate.

last year was terrible. I set 15 and only had 4 take :(

I guess practice makes perfect.

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24