IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A menacing concern

Silas_Sancona

Among many topics we share here on the forum, some of the most useful to all revolve around noting the various pests that threaten our prized plants..and perhaps us as well.

Roughly a week ago, I'd come across a news article from down in the Keys that made my skin crawl and raised an eyebrow. While Zika and other newer, mosquito born diseases , and the spreading of a nasty flatworm have raised a lot of concern lately, there has always been one insect that many in the agricultural field have feared resurfacing here in the US. While of no danger to plants, the same can't be said for livestock, domesticated pets, and humans themselves.

Fully eradicated from the United states roughly 30+ years ago,  a species of Fly used to cause several millions of dollars to the livestock industry anywhere from Southern  California, all the way to Texas and Florida. This insect also would appear in the plains and in the Central Valley on occasion during the summers. It took the invention of sterilizing millions of male flies to tame a horrendous pleauge that ranchers feared could destroy their livelihoods. 

Known as the New World Screwworm, or, Cochliomyia hominivorax, a primary parasite of warm blooded animals, were found among Key Deer in Big Pine Key. As of that first article, roughly 50 deer had been sighted with screwworm infestations. As of today, That number has climbed and the fly itself appears to have spread north to other nearby keys in the area. 

While most flies typically capitalize on dead or decaying flesh,  Cochliomyia is one of two species that attack living tissue and continue destroying it as the larve proceed through their development.  As disgusting as that sounds, consider that the species name " hominivorax"  translates to " that which devours man"  in Latin. 

Because of the sterilized fly technique, this insect was beaten back to areas south of Panama as late as the 90's. Despite this, there are on going battles to control this insect in various parts of the Caribbean, and in South America. If I had to guess, I'd wager that the latest outbreak of this pest "blew in" on the heels of one of our recent tropical systems. 

According to articles posted today, there is a animal check point set up at mile marker 106 in Key Largo.. If I read correctly, the area is also under some sort of emergency declaration via the FL. Ag. Department. They are also in the process of releasing sterilized male flies to hopefully stop the advance of this outbreak.

In any event, anyone in South Florida should closely monitor their pets and any domesticated livestock you may own until the all clear is given in the effected areas. If you are planning on a trip to or through the keys, keep all pets at home. While things like the insect that spreads Citrus Greening, and Palm Weevils are concerning enough, we really don't want these flies attempting re-establishment anywhere on the mainland.

For additional info on how to I'd these particular flies, there are many online articles. One distinguishing feature compared to what many people call " green or blue bottle flies" ( same family of flies, not parisitic) are the big, bright orange eyes, and 3 vague stripes across the top of the head of the fly itself. 

o

• Upvote 3

I recall it was nasty and that it was controlled by irradiating male flies into sterility and releasing them by the millions where they out-whooppied the fertile males causing a sharp drop in population and eventual eradication.

Read the wiki entry and cringe!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochliomyia#Elimination_programs

Screwworm larva.jpg

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

In 2016, People traveling to the Florida Keys were warned that the screwworm fly is present there and has resulted in the deaths of many of the endangered key deer. The USDA has declared a crisis in this area and efforts are underway to deal with this menace. Since screwworms can infest pets and humans as well, if you have recently traveled to the Florida Keys, carefully check your pets for any sores or wounds and take them to a veterinarian for a checkup if you see any. If you are having any painful sores that are getting worse, see a doctor immediately. In either case ask for a check for parasitic larva, particularly screwworm.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.