IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Nano-Greenhouse

Pal Meir

Only when a seedling has problems with its roots (as in this case with a L itapebiense seedling without a real radicle) I am using a (kind of) greenhouse.

5804ecae3fb13_N16082016-10-17P1020898.th

In all other cases my window sills (for seedlings) or my living room (around my home office for bigger ones) is enough (without any humidifier), no matter if the palms are »tropical« (as e.g. Licuala) or not.

5804ecb512bad_Seedlings2016-10-17P102089

• Upvote 8

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Good method. When I transplant some seedings from the germination bed to its fist pot I make a individual green-house with this elasic cover plates:

ganzneumelittaquicktiopseigentlichnuroll

• Upvote 5

08053.gif

My new Sabal uresana seeding is going to spend some days under plastic

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Upvote 2

08053.gif

1 hour ago, Sanips said:

My new Sabal uresana seeding is going to spend some days under plastic

I don’t think that your Sabal seedlings need a »greenhouse«. But be careful that they don’t get mouldy when it gets so dark now!

19 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

I don’t think that your Sabal seedlings need a »greenhouse«. But be careful that they don’t get mouldy when it gets so dark now!

I don't wanna risk, I've lost some seedings of this genus because of dryness in this premature status. I ventilate it twice a day and I'll remove the cover when the fist plumule gets more prominent.

• Upvote 1

08053.gif

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

My nano-greenhouse is still growing more and more to a mini-greenhouse … :D

581f16ec123b5_Nano-Greenhouse2016-11-06P

LoL,  you have a good short of containers. I'm imagine you searching for yoghurts with the appropiate shape at the supermarket :lol:

08053.gif

I often use an upturned jam jar with a 12mm hole drilled in the bottom to stop the excessive heat build up, air flow and so that I can water the plant through it. It works for me, my own minnie green house. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Sanips said:

LoL,  you have a good short of containers. I'm imagine you searching for yoghurts with the appropiate shape at the supermarket :lol:

You got it! I’m buying my yoghurt only because of the transparent lids: :P

581f68db92216_N1601-052016-05-26P1010658

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Nice! My S. uresana is happy too. Now I have some seedings of Butyagrus and Livistona nitida under my nano-greenhouses.

08053.gif

• 4 weeks later...

My Butyagrus seedings under nano-greenhouse show different states of growing. I'll remove the plastic cover when the new sprout reach the soil and show the plumule.

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.ed2856934f61580

• Upvote 2

08053.gif

• 6 months later...

Who is under the protection of nano-greenhouses? Two seedings of Acrocomia totai (I removed a little the soil to show its premature side roots).

FullSizeRender.jpg

Edited by Sanips
  • Upvote 1

08053.gif