IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dictyocaryum lamarckianum Update

Dypsisdean

I get asked about this palm a lot. And it always seems to attract eyeballs during garden walk-throughs. It is usually most blue when exposing a fresh crownshaft, as it is now. I thought it worth sharing since there still aren't that many in cultivation.

If you look very closely, you may notice it is trying to flower. This will be the third time, so one of these days I may have seeds to offer.

IMG_3182.jpg

• Upvote 12

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Well that is to die for. Wow.  It somehow escaped me that they "gain weight" as they grow. Spectacular.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

3 minutes ago, Kim said:

Well that is to die for. Wow.  It somehow escaped me that they "gain weight" as they grow. Spectacular.

I don't think Angela is going to like that "gain weight" comment. :lol:

• Upvote 2

Kona, on The Big Island

7 minutes ago, Dypsisdean said:

I don't think Angela is going to like that "gain weight" comment. :D

Don't be silly; as Angela's forever-svelteness demonstrates, it is the palm that has "gained weight."

• Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

1 minute ago, Kim said:

Don't be silly; as Angela's forever-svelteness demonstrates, it is the palm that has "gained weight."

Of course, but you did say "they." :rolleyes:

Kona, on The Big Island

They -- the palms, the Dictyocarium, plural.  Sheesh. :rolleyes:  The palms are growing; adult humans don't grow, not biologically speaking.  Although I've heard men's noses and ears continue to grow.  Is that true? :huh:

Kim Cyr

18 minutes ago, Kim said:

They -- the palms, the Dictyocarium, plural.  Sheesh. :rolleyes:  The palms are growing; adult humans don't grow, not biologically speaking.  Although I've heard men's noses and ears continue to grow.  Is that true? :huh:

I can only confirm that the hair inside of each does. Are we off-topic? :unsure:

Kona, on The Big Island

2 hours ago, Dypsisdean said:

I can only confirm that the hair inside of each does. Are we off-topic? :unsure:

A tad.  But all in all pretty on par for Palmtalk. :)

Oh yeah...killer palm!

Very cool Dean, certainly an iconic palm mate, you don't see em like that in cultivation let alone see em

sweet pic 

Paul 

Ooo-lala :wub:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Very cool! It looks like it may be gaining some thickness as it gets older. I can see why they call it the Andean Royal Palm! :greenthumb:

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I just showed my four small ones Deans photo and what they're supposed to look like. Told them to GET WITH IT!

Boy, if I can get mine to look like that I'd be a happy camper.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

My two are so slow but I pretend they look like yours when I walk by. What a gorgeous palm Dean!

Thanks so much for the update!

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

On 10/17/2016, 1:40:35, Kim said:

So do women's.

On 10/17/2016, 12:32:40, Dypsisdean said:

It is usually most blue when exposing a fresh crownshaft, as it is now.

IMG_3182.jpg

Dean, I think you need to get your eyes checked--that's purple, not blue! The one in the back is blue. Very nice caliper--fatties are nice too.

Ha,ha,ha. Dean......the ball is in your court.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

3 hours ago, Mandrew968 said:

Dean, I think you need to get your eyes checked--that's purple, not blue! The one in the back is blue. Very nice caliper--fatties are nice too.

I would say it is rather violet than purple (source: Wikipedia), like this diamond: :D

58062c5d72a79_violetvspurple.thumb.jpg.e

58062c61ef804_VioletDiamondArgyle038pt.t

• Upvote 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

On 10/16/2016, 10:40:35, Kim said:

Don't know about the noses and ears themselves, but the hair on them sure does. (Oh, well, repeated Dean's comment. Nice to know we're on the same page about something! :) )

That IS a spectacular palm! Blue, purple WHATEVER!

They won't make it here in Cali that I've ever heard of.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2016‎ ‎8‎:‎00‎:‎59‎, Dypsisdean said:

2 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Don't know about the noses and ears themselves, but the hair on them sure does.

There's an echo in here...

Kim Cyr

Just now, Kim said:

There's an echo in here...

Old men get to talking about their hairs . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Beautiful palm - the color is awesome, definetely an eye-catcher!

Thank you for posting!

(I made a note on my wish list... ;))

best regards

• 1 year later...

Tried one, not sure the do well in Florida's oppressively hot summers. Kept it going in the shade in a container for a year. Then it joined the list of carkage :(

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

7 minutes ago, Moose said:

Tried one, not sure the do well in Florida's oppressively hot summers. Kept it going in the shade in a container for a year. Then it joined the list of carkage :(

For the life of me, I just don't understand why Steve Stern would sell these here in south Florida. It makes absolutely NO SENSE.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

1 minute ago, Jeff Searle said:

For the life of me, I just don't understand why Steve Stern would sell these here in south Florida. It makes absolutely NO SENSE.

Got mine many many years ago from Ron Schaff. He sprouted the seeds, he let me take a shot with one. First and last time he tried them.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 4 months later...
6 hours ago, Ztorch said:

@Dypsisdean any seeds yet?? I have been trying to find some to get a nice batch growing!

Nope - I had two flower spikes, each getting about 1 year old this time. One fell off before opening. And the second looks like it may do the same. These were the 2nd and 3rd ever. Hopefully the forth time will be the charm. Those are just starting to come out now.

• Upvote 1

Kona, on The Big Island

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2018‎ ‎9‎:‎40‎:‎37‎, Jeff Searle said:

Hey, I tried a Rhopalostylis in a pot one Spring-it died in the Summer. Same with Jubaea.

Just planted 3 Phoenicophorium at Pinecrest Gardens (trying a species that swings the other way). We'll see.

A fella's gotta dream...

On 2/12/2018, 9:40:37, Jeff Searle said:

Because they probably make $$$. I couldn't believe it either when he tried to peddle one to me.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

1 hour ago, hbernstein said:

Hey, I tried a Rhopalostylis in a pot one Spring-it died in the Summer. Same with Jubaea.

Just planted 3 Phoenicophorium at Pinecrest Gardens (trying a species that swings the other way). We'll see.

A fella's gotta dream...

I dream of growing Lepidorrachis but i'm not crazy enough to try (assuming I could even find one, which I can't).

Definition of stupidity: "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" (courtesy of Albert Einstein)

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.