IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Thoughts on setting up a Wunderground station?

RedRabbit

I get the impression my current thermometer reads a little cold and I'm thinking about replacing it before winter. I saw on Amazon you can get a weather station compatible with Wunderground for $60: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ATRHVP0 

Throw in a radiation shield to protect the sensor from the elements and you're in business for about $100. It seems like a pretty good deal when you consider remote access and all the historical data you'd have stored on the cloud for free. Has anyone else done this? 

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Upvote 2

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

I have a Davis weather station and weatherlink software. They cost a bit up front but are really nice units. 

I have a Acurite weather station that I have on wunderground. It was close to a $300 setup and had 3 sensors. But I can have 10 sensors in which I will add, like soil temp.  It gives me historical data and has a Web Interface plus iPhone/iPad and Android apps.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

On 10/17/2016, 4:33:29, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I have a Davis weather station and weatherlink software. They cost a bit up front but are really nice units. 

I'll invest in one of those when I live somewhere with a little better climate than this. LOL

On 10/17/2016, 6:05:55, Palmaceae said:

I have a Acurite weather station that I have on wunderground. It was close to a $300 setup and had 3 sensors. But I can have 10 sensors in which I will add, like soil temp.  It gives me historical data and has a Web Interface plus iPhone/iPad and Android apps.

Interesting, do you like it so far? I remember last winter you were recording some low temps that seemed a little too low to be believable for Cape Coral, but I don't know if it was with the same thermometer. 

On 10/18/2016, 11:17:33, RedRabbit said:

I'll invest in one of those when I live somewhere with a little better climate than this. LOL

Interesting, do you like it so far? I remember last winter you were recording some low temps that seemed a little too low to be believable for Cape Coral, but I don't know if it was with the same thermometer. 

I like it, this is a new one but I am in the NE Cape and at the time I recorded "low" temps for Cape Coral I had no overhead cover and empty fields an every side of me except one.  Now I have a lot of cover and protection so I should see warmer temps I believe. And now I have 3 sensors so I will see the different microclimates in the yard.

There are better weather stations out there but they are expensive, the Acurite one I have is good for the money and is accurate as far as I am concerned.

I don't have any experience with weather stations but I would say it is a good investment if you are really wanting to collect / record data, you would really get to learn YOUR yard, or wherever you put it. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

On 10/20/2016, 3:07:27, Palmaceae said:

I like it, this is a new one but I am in the NE Cape and at the time I recorded "low" temps for Cape Coral I had no overhead cover and empty fields an every side of me except one.  Now I have a lot of cover and protection so I should see warmer temps I believe. And now I have 3 sensors so I will see the different microclimates in the yard.

There are better weather stations out there but they are expensive, the Acurite one I have is good for the money and is accurate as far as I am concerned.

Thanks for explaining. Do you have radiation shields for all of the sensors? 

The main sensor has a solar powered fan to keep the ambient temperature recording accurately, this sensor also has the anometer, wind direction, humidity and dew point and rain fall. The other sensors I have are in the shade and they record temp, humidity and dew point.

I really like this weather station because it has a web interface and you can download the data into a csv file to view all the historical data.

902wes-phone-800x800.jpg

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Palmaceae said:

The main sensor has a solar powered fan to keep the ambient temperature recording accurately, this sensor also has the anometer, wind direction, humidity and dew point and rain fall. The other sensors I have are in the shade and they record temp, humidity and dew point.

I really like this weather station because it has a web interface and you can download the data into a csv file to view all the historical data.

902wes-phone-800x800.jpg

Very cool, it sounds like you've got a pretty good set up there!