IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A rare Chamaerops form

Phoenikakias

It grows tall and it is caespitose. Fronds have long petioles and a small, pleated, round blade. Texture is stiff like the leaves of Brahea armata. Petiole is is only half armed, meaning that spines are to be found only on the proximal half of the petiole. I was sondering whether it can be a cross the cultivar volcano with another trunking form. From a close distance it gives an exotic impression. 

IMG_20161015_102008.thumb.jpg.a9d894769bIMG_20161015_102020.thumb.jpg.ecc9cd2397IMG_20161015_102412.thumb.jpg.15ab0a18ccIMG_20161015_102527.thumb.jpg.5c40db4601

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

With so many forms of Chamaerops it's no wonder this one exists. Nice looking palm for sure. Did you collect some seed to try yourself?

Cheers, Barrie.  

Konstantinos, your command of the English language is impressive; nice description. The Palm is cool too.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Yep, it is fully loaded but most of the fruits are empty of seeds or seeds are obviously faulty. Most interesting is that the few fruits which contain real seeds are clearly split in to two groups according to morphology. To the firstr group belong big fruits with large almost round seeds. To the seconds group belong small fruits with small elongated seeds. Whole matter needs more investigation.

3 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

Yep, it is fully loaded but most of the fruits are empty of seeds or seeds are obviously faulty. Most interesting is that the few fruits which contain real seeds are clearly split in to two groups according to morphology. To the firstr group belong big fruits with large almost round seeds. To the seconds group belong small fruits with small elongated seeds. Whole matter needs more investigation.

Sounds like it were a hybrid …? :huh:

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

1 hour ago, Pal Meir said:

Sounds like it were a hybrid …? :huh:

I am glad that you share my original, tagged question.

I always think of chamaerops as a bit like butia.

some forms are clearly very different but have no recognition. i mean there are trunkless forms and very tall forms, some blue,  some green some with big spines and some with almost none. Long petioles and short etc

To a non botanist the visual differences between the chamaerops forms are striking.almost like different breeds of dogs

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

I think a cross with Ch vulcano would produce »normal« viable seeds; I meant a cross with another »genus« …

Not so likely as the case of a polygamous behavior with many flowers being only female...

20 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

I think a cross with Ch vulcano would produce »normal« viable seeds; I meant a cross with another »genus« …

So, is it possible to cross between genus of the subtribe Rhapidinae? Chamaerops x Trachycarpus?

08053.gif

I think a Chamaerops x Trachycarpus cross would have been done already if this was possible. Many growers in Europe have both these palms in their gardens and I've never heard of this cross or even heard it mentioned before now. Nice thought though.

Regards Neil

• Upvote 1

Yep, the above is probably the main agument against the existence of such a hybrid. I would like also to add that a Trachycarpus, as a plant coming from most climates, does not have on its leaves the hard texture, Brahea armata use to have. And this plant has really an extraordinary hard texture contesting in this respect with amata. Also Trachycarpus has on petiole margins inconspicuous tiny teeth while the naked part on this particular plant is really smooth.

Edited by Phoenikakias

Here are a few pictures of my completely spineless mature Med fan. This is the most unusual med fan that I have ever seen and I paid a premium for it. I have never seen another med fan anywhere like it in that it is very compact, spineless, and has heavy tomentum on the petioles.  I have a few smaller med fans that I have breed back to this one to create a spineless variety that is more conducive to put around pools. I'd describe the small ones as 95-99% spineless compared to this large one that is 100%.

20161018_122159.jpg

20161018_122205.jpg

20161018_122213.jpg

20161018_122218.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Here is a picture of my volcano.  I have bred it with paper white silver med fans to try and get a silver med with a more upright habit.

20161018_122228.jpg

• Upvote 2

I would say that your spineless Med fan is more likely to be the vulcano, it has the right leaf shape and is spineless like many vulcano are. The second palm pictured is not a vulcano IMO. The leaves are not flared enough and too deeply split. It also appears to have plenty of spines. It's still a lovely palm though. Below is what I would say is a "typical" vulcano. Your vulcano may have come from vulcano seed but they don't always come true from seed.vulcano.jpg.86a85294740c9652673ef3f77bd0

Regards Neil

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Neil C said:

I would say that your spineless Med fan is more likely to be the vulcano, it has the right leaf shape and is spineless like many vulcano are. The second palm pictured is not a vulcano IMO. The leaves are not flared enough and too deeply split. It also appears to have plenty of spines. It's still a lovely palm though. Below is what I would say is a "typical" vulcano. Your vulcano may have come from vulcano seed but they don't always come true from seed.vulcano.jpg.86a85294740c9652673ef3f77bd0

Regards Neil

As soon as i put it back in full sun it will compact quite a bit as that area is shady. I have attached another picture to show the color difference of a silver med grown in that area compared to out in the open. You can immediately see the difference in color and habit.

20161019_070338.jpg

3 hours ago, Neil C said:

Regards Neil

There are also other dwarf forms. For example pictures from two such forms, courtesy of Trava.

Example  #1

dwarf1.thumb.JPG.6de34a96dab0148f24badbedwarf1a.thumb.JPG.6e6acfc2ad9ee05eafa8db

Example #2

dwarf2.thumb.jpg.0b3e609e93505b596a5597e

• Like 1

Thanks Neil. I guess I never thought about that before, but you're right. Maybe the cool summers and wet winters causes that for C. Humilis here in Seattle.