IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Medemia Argun seedlings are sprouting

Josh-O

39 minutes ago, Zeeth said:

I could have sworn that I read an article about how the female Lodoicea at Foster was pollinated with male pollen collected at the SBG, but I can't find the article anywhere now. 

I am sure it was too. I was talking about one of the first pollinations outside the Seychelles. Plants from that pollination are already flowering. But I have ADHD and if anyone talking at me goes on longer than a few sentences I tend to forget what was said. So I might have missed where the SBG Palm was pollinated from. Could have came from Seychelles maybe too. 

Any IPS members on the biennial remember what they said?

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

5 minutes ago, LJG said:

I am sure it was too. I was talking about one of the first pollinations outside the Seychelles. Plants from that pollination are already flowering. But I have ADHD and if anyone talking at me goes on longer than a few sentences I tend to forget what was said. So I might have missed where the SBG Palm was pollinated from. Could have came from Seychelles maybe too. 

Any IPS members on the biennial remember what they said?

Anyway, with the Lodoicea Avenue, Peradeniya Royal Botanic Gardens in Kandy owns the best harem for this species, so many males, so many females... :blush:

• Upvote 2

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

6 hours ago, doranakandawatta said:

Anyway, with the Lodoicea Avenue, Peradeniya Royal Botanic Gardens in Kandy owns the best harem for this species, so many males, so many females... :blush:

wow! do you have any pictures??

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

28 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

There have been some threads about it in recent past. Definitely check them out! 

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

6 hours ago, Josh-O said:

it must have been one of my first post end of 2012:

Lodoicea of Peradeniya garden

Started by doranakandawatta9 Nov 2012

or: 

Peradeniya News: Lodoicea

Started by doranakandawatta10 Jan 2013

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

I'll post more pictures soon. I have never seen such a fast growing seedling like Medemia!

they are rocket ships..

• Upvote 4

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 5 weeks later...

I placed 11 of these in a baggie on 10-30 and today I have germination in 9! Wow. Does anyone have suggestions about when I should place them into pots? 

IMG_2830.JPG

• Upvote 3

I'd  wait for a 2-4" radicle then put in a pot. This is what i do for bismarckia and hyphaene coriacea. 

• Upvote 1

DoomsDave    1,824

• Dave of the Dead
  • goofy-looking-accountant.jpg.22c75335442
  • IPS DIRECTOR
  • 26,332 posts
On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2016‎ ‎7‎:‎03‎:‎53‎, LJG said:

I have never seen a palm root this crazy as a one-leaf seedling. 

Syagrus santoursii is just like that.

567199264af9c_Syagrussantosii008.thumb.J

Yes as Dave's pic above shows, SYAGRUS SANTOSII grow like that.  I grew some of those from Brazil seed and am very happy to have this beautiful palm from Bahia, Brazil.  Yes it's still a seedling but at least I now have one.  Who else has Syagrus santosii?  Here's a pic of one in habitat.

Syagrus santosii  10-2015.JPG

• Upvote 4

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

• 6 months later...

Bump, any updates from those who obtained medemia seedlings or grow them from seed on? 

I had been given one Medemia seed, which germinated during early winter. It grows exclusively in pumice and has spent rest of winter and early spring indoors. Piece of cake and less warmth demanding than Borassus aethiopum. Next challenge for it is going to be the extreme summer heat around root zone. Certainly pumice and white pot help keeping an insulation and reflecting sun rays. 

IMG_20170602_093439.thumb.jpg.04c1088918IMG_20170602_093456.thumb.jpg.8e91b67ad9IMG_20170602_093528.thumb.jpg.faec30284b

• Upvote 5

I have a seedling that I got as a strap leaf many months ago.  It's easy, but by no means fast (in the ambient temps, of central San Diego).  The initial leaf has gotten bigger though.  Maybe things will change, as higher summer temps arrive.  I'll move into more Sun in the fall (although it could probably handle more at this stage). Maybe getting 1/3 - 1/2 day Sun now, through translucent plastic, at times - depending on the Sun's  angle).

5 hours ago, The Steve said:

I have a seedling that I got as a strap leaf many months ago.  It's easy, but by no means fast (in the ambient temps, of central San Diego).  The initial leaf has gotten bigger though.  Maybe things will change, as higher summer temps arrive.  I'll move into more Sun in the fall (although it could probably handle more at this stage). Maybe getting 1/3 - 1/2 day Sun now, through translucent plastic, at times - depending on the Sun's  angle).

These are quick growers and the color is very nice.

20170526_192252.jpg

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

20170526_192252.jpg

I like these, and they do have great color.  They grow steadily.  Here's what it looked like in 10/2016, and after is what It looks like 8 months later.  The leaf is about 7 inches long.  I'll probably plant it for a neighbor in a few years, so it can get most day sun.

593206b7e2c8e_Medemiaargunseedling10.1.2593206b0c784a_Medemiaargunseedling6.2.17

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Coming up for 3  years  old and about 4  metres  tall now with  2  metres  trunk...........got 5  of  them here frequently flowering, foreground 3  Tahinas

20170612_091300.jpg

Edited by Tingtongthai
  • Upvote 7

3 hours ago, Tingtongthai said:

Coming up for 3  years  old and about 4  metres  tall now with  2  metres  trunk...........got 5  of  them here frequently flowering, foreground 3  Tahinas

20170612_091300.jpg

Iam just seeing your top soil,looks interesting.Thanks for the visual.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

4 hours ago, Kris said:

Iam just seeing your top soil,looks interesting.Thanks for the visual.

The  soil is  sandy the "top soil" is 1 inch  stone maybe granite I get from a  local quarry its 4  inches  deep

• Upvote 2

• 7 months later...

Bump! Any updates of the attempts to grow Medemia in coastal Ca? I do not bother asking about the inland empire or southern Az, because I am sure it will thrive there. In my place with constant low temps during winter but also very low rainfall it survives for many years but it grows slowly. I do not mind about it however, if I am the champion of the most northern outplanted Medemia. Interestingly it seems to benefit from the bitter cold, dry and desiccating northern wind during winter. Deadliest enemy is, what else, the snow. Stem is fattening up nicely and the mark you observe is an indirect damage from last year's snowfall, meaning that increased moisture during its protection caused a small fungal infection. This year had used no whatever overhead protection and it does certainly better.

IMG_20180128_170237.thumb.jpg.f062ca3e93IMG_20180128_170246.thumb.jpg.deb154d892 

• Upvote 6

Cold tolerance update. I have these right beside hyphaene coriacea and super blue/purple bismarckia, and it looks like medemia and hyphaene experience leaf burn at exactly the same temperarure.  The house dropped to 21f, same amount of burn on each, zero on bismarckia.  Same bismarckia outside zero burn at 20f while b. Clara had partial burn and arenga e. 50+% defoliated. 

• Upvote 3

On 29/1/2018, 4:12:56, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Cold tolerance update. I have these right beside hyphaene coriacea and super blue/purple bismarckia, and it looks like medemia and hyphaene experience leaf burn at exactly the same temperarure.  The house dropped to 21f, same amount of burn on each, zero on bismarckia.  Same bismarckia outside zero burn at 20f while b. Clara had partial burn and arenga e. 50+% defoliated. 

Never managed to grow a H coriacea to an outplantable size. How did the H thebaica score during the recent cold spell in your neck of the woods?

@Phoenikakias I don't have any Thebaica  growing but have had requests from several of my Airzona customers so it looks like i will start growing a few for them in the next few months.  They will all grow in the same house with the latania, medemia, hyphaene, and a few yucca species.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/2/2017, 4:11:18, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

20170526_192252.jpg

Joe (Texas Cold Hardy Palms): the one you shipped me arrived today in good shape. It's a very robust seedling with great color! I like that this one has already proven its hardiness during your recent Texas winter low temps! In my inland NorCal location it should like the hot, dry summers; the test will be our cool, wet winters. :unsure:

Medemia_palm.png

• Upvote 5

I just germinated another 75ish seed and will have some more available end of summer. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...