IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The squirrels took my palm (nuts)!

Jdiaz31089

i am in need of someplace safe to vent. I came outside to check on my germinated palm seedlings to find that a squirrel took 7 of my 8 sprouted syagrus kellyana seeds! I have had it with the stupid squirrels around here.  All they do is bury walnuts in my pots and steal my seeds. I guess i should be thankful they didn't take my sprouted  jubaeopsis!

Major issue here too.  They rip everything apart.  I have tried trapping them, to no avail.  I think an airgun is next.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Awww, but they are sooo cute (and smart.) 

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

I have lost a few thousand palm seedlings including Jubaea, jubaeopsis, brahea, sabal and nannorhorps to squirrels.  They are a constant pest and difficult to keep out.  We now have an army of cats that live in the greenhouses and special coverings for small seedlings as backup.

They wreak havoc in our garden also.  We've all but given up planting veggies because the squirrels eat them all.  I would be willing to share, mind you, but they will take 10-20 tomatoes a day here.  It's amazing how such a small animal can be so destructive.  You are not alone, if that gives you any comfort at all!

What if you walk out in the woods one day and see a squirrel with a palm garden of its own, with your seedlings in it...

• Upvote 2

PalmTreeDude

Plant plenty of washingtonia's... They tend to thin the tree rat population out...

Edited by Laaz

In Sydney we have Pussams instead of squirrels... I like squirrels more as they look cuter but Pussams are not stealing my seedlings at least ( but one blue tongue stole my germinated Bizzy seed one :(  ) ...

I don't lose seedlings to squirrels anymore since I started making these chicken wire cages for my seedling trays. I have lots of them. 

IMG_0477.JPG

IMG_0478.JPG

• Upvote 5

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

Nothing more aggravating than losing your hard earned seeds/seedlings to a squirrel! I trap them once they mess around in my seed trays at the farm and relocate them to my house.

Use tinfoil. I'm not kidding. Squirrels hate touching that stuff and even coming near it. Just wrap your pots in aluminum foil. Works with trees also - wrap some around the trunks/limbs/fronds and they will leave the seeds/fruits alone.

3 hours ago, NatureGirl said:

I don't lose seedlings to squirrels anymore since I started making these chicken wire cages for my seedling trays. I have lots of them. 

IMG_0477.JPG

IMG_0478.JPG

Well done.....

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Pando said:

Use tinfoil. I'm not kidding. Squirrels hate touching that stuff and even coming near it. Just wrap your pots in aluminum foil. Works with trees also - wrap some around the trunks/limbs/fronds and they will leave the seeds/fruits alone.

Whaaaaa? I'm going to give this a try!

10 hours ago, NatureGirl said:

IMG_0477.JPG

IMG_0478.JPG

And this is what I am already thinking of doing! I have some leftover chicken wire from a coop I dismantled a few weeks ago. Awesome setup!

• 1 year later...
On 10/10/2016, 1:21:06, PalmTreeDude said:

What if you walk out in the woods one day and see a squirrel with a palm garden of its own, with your seedlings in it...

On 10/10/2016, 6:27:48, Jdiaz31089 said:

well, I spoke too soon.  My jubaeopsis is now gone... sigh

I was cleaning my garden beds today before a big rain storm hits us with a week-long rain, and LO AND BEHOLD, I found something suspicious peeking from beneath a blechbum gibbum:

20180312_181321.jpg

• Upvote 4

The yellow arrow is where the sprout is. I'm afraid to move it so maybe I'll just let it grow there and compete for space with the archontophoenix...

Screenshot_20180312-195758.jpg

• Upvote 5

On 10/11/2016, 2:39:02, Mohsen said:

In Sydney we have Pussams instead of squirrels... I like squirrels more as they look cuter but Pussams are not stealing my seedlings at least ( but one blue tongue stole my germinated Bizzy seed one :(  ) ...

We have them too (possums).  :blink: Somebody brought them over here, or something.:rant:

On 10/9/2016, 5:31:28, Jdiaz31089 said:

i am in need of someplace safe to vent. I came outside to check on my germinated palm seedlings to find that a squirrel took 7 of my 8 sprouted syagrus kellyana seeds! I have had it with the stupid squirrels around here.  All they do is bury walnuts in my pots and steal my seeds. I guess i should be thankful they didn't take my sprouted  jubaeopsis!

Perhaps reviewing these UC Davis guidelines might help: http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74122.html

The problem is both native and introduced squirrel species are here in California, and they interbreed, plus one of my neighbors puts out peanuts for them since she finds their "antics" entertaining (even though it's technically against state law here to feed wild animals, although I think an exception is made for bird feeders)!! I think the suggestions of wire coverings are the easiest, least expensive and least time-consuming way to protect your palm seeds/seedlings. The family who previously owned my house would live-trap the squirrels and release them in a nearby forest... from which they found their way back to this neighborhood.:angry: If there was only some way to get native hawks to roost in my yard.... ;)

I have a group of feruginous hawks roosting up in my pine tree right now . They come in every year around this time they are big beautiful birds look almost like eagles. I've noticed all of the squirrels and rabbits have high tailed it for now. 

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Hillizard said:

Perhaps reviewing these UC Davis guidelines might help: http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74122.html

The problem is both native and introduced squirrel species are here in California, and they interbreed, plus one of my neighbors puts out peanuts for them since she finds their "antics" entertaining (even though it's technically against state law here to feed wild animals, although I think an exception is made for bird feeders)!! I think the suggestions of wire coverings are the easiest, least expensive and least time-consuming way to protect your palm seeds/seedlings. The family who previously owned my house would live-trap the squirrels and release them in a nearby forest... from which they found their way back to this neighborhood.:angry: If there was only some way to get native hawks to roost in my yard.... ;)

2 minutes ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

I have a group of feruginous hawks roosting up in my pine tree right now . They come in every year around this time they are big beautiful birds look almost like eagles. I've noticed all of the squirrels and rabbits have high tailed it for now. 

I started using wire enclosures and that's kept my seeds safe. It would be nice to have some predators around though. 

BUTTTT did you see where I found a jubaeopsis seedling!? (Look up there ^^) The squirrels took all of my jubaeopsis seeds and must have burried this one in one of my garden beds instead of biting into it like they usually do. I noticed the sprout just yeaterday. I wonder if more of my stolen seeds will end up sprouting.

• Upvote 1

Yeah it is funny how squirrels do that. Funny thing is they actually helped you out. That's great. I have found jubaea seeds in weird areas of my planters buried actually found one a few weeks ago that was sprouted with a nice strap leaf . Didn't really think much about it figured it was another washie or queen popping up so I pulled it and found the coquito . I definetly couldn't have left it there it was right at the base of one of my caryotas . But I had already damaged it to much to even save it when I realized what it was. 

• Upvote 1

They love to eat my tree fern leaves to the trunk, they don't even take them just chew them so they fall off or hang down. I'm such an animal lover I let them get away with it. I get so many peanut seedlings coming up everywhere it not funny anymore. I do feed them every day so they're not going anywhere and the babies are as cute as hell. I am thankful I don't have deer in my yard cause I'd be feeding them too. LOL! But I feel your pain! 

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1

Yea my last home I was trapping them and releasing them in wildlife areas around me . Until I woke up one day to a bunch of baby squirrels running around screaming because mama was not around anymore ended up taking the baby's if I remember correctly it was 14 of them about 3 inches long to lady who rehabilitates wildlife for release . I felt evil at that point and haven't trappes anymore

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

"I'm afraid to move it"

It looks like it is the second one that you were afraid to move.

I can see the other one in the middle of your path. :0 

Cheers Steve

1 hour ago, gtsteve said:

It looks like it is the second one that you were afraid to move.

I can see the other one in the middle of your path. :0 

The syagrus? Nope I definitely want it right where it is. That's a sitting space wider than the path. The placement was intentional. 

• Upvote 1

I know, it looks good. Australian humour. 

Cheers Steve

23 minutes ago, gtsteve said:

I know, it looks good. Australian humour. 

:P

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

More surprises in the garden. I think I've identified most of these based on the seed. 

I'm pretty certain this is syagrus kellyana. Disregard the washingtonia seedling next to it. 

20180920_164932.thumb.jpg.1ee2ac18288953

A second jubaeopsis! 

20180920_164724.thumb.jpg.a085eeb1b6cc7e

• Upvote 2

Here's the first jubaeopsis I found in the garden

20180920_164807.thumb.jpg.9ee35ad110f418

Im pretty certain this one is syagrus cearensis 

20180920_165049.thumb.jpg.326a6ce89b4d4b

• Upvote 2

And lastly I'm pretty sure this is jubaea. I wonder where others might be sprouting up and whether they'll grow to maturity in other people's yards. 

20180920_165128.thumb.jpg.b63ccecd46f7ca

• Upvote 2

Ruger makes a fine rimfire rifle perfect for dealing with squirrels.

I hope I did not offend anyone by this post.

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)