IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

ridiculous palms on ebay

Mr.SamuraiSword

6 minutes ago, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

do blue cycads exist? 

Not only that, but blue grass apparently exists as well.

s-l1600.jpg

Blue cycads do exist, but they're not that blue. The ebay images are badly photoshopped.

You can see pictures of some blue cycads in this thread. Compared to normal green plants around, they do look bluish.

• Upvote 2

I looked at their other items.....

And blue watermelon :rolleyes:

s-l1600.jpg

• Upvote 7

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

I saw a "brahea brandegeii" listed on Craigslist San Diego that was clearly a washingtonia Robusta...

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

1 hour ago, Neil C said:

Yeah saw this one! I mean really........ :0)

colourful.jpg.b6236ae17a849e60ec2bb4ca7f

Regards Neil

:drool::drool::drool:

2 hours ago, Neil C said:

Yeah saw this one! I mean really........ :0)

colourful.jpg.b6236ae17a849e60ec2bb4ca7f

Regards Neil

You mean that they aren't really that blue?... Then what's the point?!

21 hours ago, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

do blue cycads exist? 

While the cycads in the link you provided were clearly not true to color, as Ando pointed out, there are blue cycads.  Most are familiar with the South African blue Encephalartos species, such as the horridus below.  That said, the Cycas genus also has some blue species, Cycas cairnsiana, Cycas cupida for example.  Sadly, the individual is preying on the gullible.  How far down the road with their money will he/she be before the purchasers realize that the seeds produce green Cycas revoluta? 

The blue of this Encephalartos horridus in the pot contrasts well against the Rhopalostylis sapida green behind it. 

20140128-IMG_9848.jpg

• Upvote 5

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

On 10/4/2016, 12:52:18, Pando said:

Not only that, but blue grass apparently exists as well.

Only in Kentucky or music.

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

On 10/4/2016, 3:39:31, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

I was curious, and used the "search google for image" for the pic in the Washingtonia e-bay add above.  I found that the palms in the picture are growing at Fort Bayard in New Mexico. Interestingly enough, they are located at ~6000' in elevation and in zone 7b according to the latest USDA map.  Google street view from Calle de las palmas in Ft. Bayard shows them growing up against a building and recovering from winter damaged fronds.  Not quite the 7a seed source and no damage as advertised, but not as egregious as a blatantly photoshopped blue watermelon.  Are the seeds actually collected from these NM palms, or just something scooped up from a parking lot in LA?  Who knows.        

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Joe NC said:

I was curious, and used the "search google for image" for the pic in the Washingtonia e-bay add above.  I found that the palms in the picture are growing at Fort Bayard in New Mexico. Interestingly enough, they are located at ~6000' in elevation and in zone 7b according to the latest USDA map.  Google street view from Calle de las palmas in Ft. Bayard shows them growing up against a building and recovering from winter damaged fronds.  Not quite the 7a seed source and no damage as advertised, but not as egregious as a blatantly photoshopped blue watermelon.  Are the seeds actually collected from these NM palms, or just something scooped up from a parking lot in LA?  Who knows.        

That is interesting, and if they're from those palms then they might have hardier genes.  Still, there's a difference between zone 7b high desert at that latitude and zone 7b East Coast or Midwest.  Bayard will have higher high temps in the winter and shorter durations of those 7b minimum temps in the winter.  Plus the dry, sunny winters probably help.  I've always thought southern NM had an interesting climate for that reason. They don't have as much heat as Phoenix or Las Vegas, and I've seen some nice-looking filiferas growing there. A little off-topic, I know!

• Upvote 1

Mike in zone 6 Missouruh

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2016‎ ‎8‎:‎52‎:‎20‎, hbernstein said:

You mean that they aren't really that blue?... Then what's the point?!

I've never seen one in person. It isn't really that blue?

21 hours ago, Tracy said:

While the cycads in the link you provided were clearly not true to color, as Ando pointed out, there are blue cycads.  Most are familiar with the South African blue Encephalartos species, such as the horridus below.  That said, the Cycas genus also has some blue species, Cycas cairnsiana, Cycas cupida for example.  Sadly, the individual is preying on the gullible.  How far down the road with their money will he/she be before the purchasers realize that the seeds produce green Cycas revoluta? 

The blue of this Encephalartos horridus in the pot contrasts well against the Rhopalostylis sapida green behind it. 

20140128-IMG_9848.jpg

Nice horridus.

• Upvote 1

Some of the Australian Cycas are pretty "blue".  Here's an old picture of my Cycas cairnsiana in front of a regular "sago palm", Cycas revoluta.

Cycas cairnsiana.JPG

• Upvote 7

5 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Macrozamia macdonaldii are blue as well.

IMG_4136.jpg

Is that your Mac? That thing is stunning. This one is on my wish list.  Not familiar with Mac's cones though. Are those female cones? If so that thing is going to be a money maker. 

3 hours ago, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

That is why I never buy palms off of ebay, not many people there know what they are doing or selling. Waggies are zone 7b, at lowest. The Washingtonia robusta is zone 8b for long term and the filifera is zone 8 for long term. 

PalmTreeDude

15 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

That is why I never buy palms off of ebay, not many people there know what they are doing or selling. Waggies are zone 7b, at lowest. The Washingtonia robusta is zone 8b for long term and the filifera is zone 8 for long term. 

Right off the bat if the ebay seller is based in Homestead, FL, I tend to think they know their business. 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

I sell a lot of palms and cycads on ebay.  There is a need for people to be able to find quality plants from reputable nurseries that are willing to take the time, money and effort to legally ship plants.  If you aren't in florida or california it is virtually impossible for you to find a diverse selection of quality plants that will survive in your area;  and that is the niche we try to fill.  The unusually high ratio of repeat customers  that we see indicated that once people locate that source they tend to value it.

As with any commodity there will be theives, frauds and liars out there looking to take advantage of less informed customers to make a quick buck. However, lets be cautious to paint all ebay sellers with such a broad brush.  

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Waggies are a zone 7a palm in some US climates. The topic of zone differences has been thoroughly discussed on this forum for many years. Some Texas zone 8b are completely different than california zone 8b and will end with a MUCH higher mortality rate for the same species. Zones are not the end all be all. 

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Waggies are a zone 7a palm in some US climates. The topic of zone differences has been thoroughly discussed on this forum for many years. Some Texas zone 8b are completely different than california zone 8b and will end with a MUCH higher mortality rate for the same species. Zones are not the end all be all. 

True, I didn't really think of it that way. 

PalmTreeDude

• 1 year later...

Actually Silver City and Fort Bayard is zone 8a as of current. The claims made by ebay can be exaggerated. Silver City temp wise is pretty close to Bisbee in a good microclimate. This is the interactive USDA hardiness map: http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/phzmweb/interactivemap.aspx

A screen shot is attached of the trees as well as the USDA zone map.

silver city zone 8.bmp

trees.bmp

• Upvote 1

I really hate to admit this, but years ago when I first started collecting plumeria, I bought a "Blue" plumeria off ebay. From Thailand. Oh I got a plumeria in, but of course it wasn't blue. Trouble was, it took a year to get a bloom before I realized I'd been had. So I couldn't even leave a follow-up feedback.

What's worse, my sis sent me another cutting, some wild, way-out color that was obviously a fake to even my apprentice eyes at the time. So in my family, we were had twice by these kinds of sellers.

Live and learn I guess. I'm a slow learner unless it hurts or costs me money.

Forums like this accelerate the learning curve.

• Upvote 1

i see this ALL the time in all different fruits, roses, Adeniums, etc - all are coming from China, or one of their "partners" in Indonesia, etc… The sad thing is, they do sell… 

But, the main reason I'm posting here is, nobody has mentioned that there are grasses that are just as blue as those blue Cycads. They are popular up here, at least. 

I think it's a great resource for someone who doesn't live in FL or CA. Those folks can't drive to a large nursery that specializes in palms and choose from many different palms, often rare and available in small sizes of 1G or smaller. No different than shopping anywhere else, buyer beware.

Heck, I'm in FL and purchase plants and seed via eBay all the time. Haven't had a negative experience yet! It's just easier to buy online and have it delivered to you house rather than driving 2 hours to a good nursery. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, santoury said:

i see this ALL the time in all different fruits, roses, Adeniums, etc - all are coming from China, or one of their "partners" in Indonesia, etc… The sad thing is, they do sell… 

But, the main reason I'm posting here is, nobody has mentioned that there are grasses that are just as blue as those blue Cycads. They are popular up here, at least. 

We have a native grass down here that is the same color as brahea armata, encephalartos Lehmanii, brahea super silver, etc.  Its pretty cool looking in the summer.

I buy on eBay sometimes.  I tend to get a lot of phoenix theophrasti seeds from various sellers on there, including @TexasColdHardyPalms :)  The bulk of my seeds are obtained from local plants when they set fruit, or from donations from @DoomsDave .  Almost all good experiences except one vendor that sent me phoenix dactylifera instead of phoenix theophrasti.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

5 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

We have a native grass down here that is the same color as brahea armata, encephalartos Lehmanii, brahea super silver, etc.  Its pretty cool looking in the summer.

Little Bluestem, Schizachyrium scorparium?  One of my favorites. Blue color is great, as is the russet, orangish, or reddish tones it takes on in the fall.

It and a few of the Leymus sp./ cultivars are some of the most eye catching "Blue" grasses out there. 

5 hours ago, Missi said:

Heck, I'm in FL and purchase plants and seed via eBay all the time. Haven't had a negative experience yet! It's just easier to buy online and have it delivered to you house rather than driving 2 hours to a good nursery. 

As convenient as picking up stuff off eBay or other online places has been,  the 2-8+hour road trips across Arizona, California, and Florida a few times a year in pursuit of stuff on my lists, which can't even be found online, have been well worth all the miles.

While greeting the sun somewhere along I-5 on my to L.A., San Diego, or Tucson.. or while coming into Ft. Meyers, Naples, or Big Cypress along the 41/Tamiami is a treat in itself, the best memories are of all the nurseries I've had the opportunity to visit, and the great people I've met along the way... let alone being sure that I'm getting exactly what I'm looking for.. and being able to evaluate the condition of X plant(s) with my own eyes.

As for eBay itself, always do your research.. many great sources to look over, many potential scams as well.

The day a true "Blue" Plumeria cultivar surfaces, trust me, I'll let everyone know, the moment after I've obtained acouple myself^_^

• Upvote 1

The Devil (pictured below) made me do this.

007.JPG

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

2 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Little Bluestem, Schizachyrium scorparium?  One of my favorites. Blue color is great, as is the russet, orangish, or reddish tones it takes on in the fall.

It and a few of the Leymus sp./ cultivars are some of the most eye catching "Blue" grasses out there. 

Looks kinda little blue stem, but we brush hog it before it flowers in the fall. 

2 words to look out for when ordering ANY plant(etc) off E-bay .....

From China

By the time those Sago get big enough to see they are not blue

it will be way to late to do anything,not to mention that it may take

months for the seeds to arrive...

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Looks kinda little blue stem, but we brush hog it before it flowers in the fall. 

I found a dead clump this morning

20171111_090300.jpg

I have bought a number of bare root palms on ebay, like my dypsis ambositrae, archontophoenix purpurea.  these were in great shape arriving as bare roots.  Years ago I also bought chamaerops cerifera, B x J and a few others.  I did not have any bad experiences.  You should look up the seller ratings if you think they are suspect.   If they dont have any rating or have poor ones and dont species identify, dont buy from them.  And blue cycads, yes as other have shown they are not so uncommon.  Rod anderson had a whole 20'x15' approx area of mature cycas cairnsiana, stunningly powder blue int he arizona desert.  SOme blue plants become more blue in the dry and heat.  Not everyone can grow a cairnsiana to total powder blue.  I understand they like dry climates.

• Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank