IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Do you experience any Climate change

User00

Do you experience any Climate change in local

it told our country is one of few countries don't have any significant impacts of current global warming, but tree die back in cloud forests and some droughts

What I was tought about climate change in garden design school was that global warming will cause extremes in climate so when it is cold we are more likely to experience more or longer chills, when it is hot more intense heat, wen the weather is wet more rain and when it is dry longer duration of low humidity. I  was told that my region would change from a Mediterranean climate to a semi arid monsoonal climate and that we needed to start thinking or designing with plants that could cope with those extremes. At the moment my area of Australia seems to be stuck in cool wet weather paterns dominated by severe storms followed by cold winds. 

• Upvote 3

Aside from the occasional 70 degree day in January and higher average temps, not much has changed.  It's still a cold dead wasteland for 5 months of the year...  

Granted, it's a slightly less cold and less dead wasteland, but still a wasteland.

cold.png

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Hilo, HI, recently has recorded a noticeable string of years with less than 100 inches of rain.  Not consecutive years necessarily, but definitely a grouping of these drier periods.  In fact, 2010 may have been the driest year on record.  Hilo average annual rainfall is over 125 inches.  Easily accessible rainfall records for our area only go back to the 1940s, so it may be that weather oscillations produce these drier years anyway and they simply weren't reliably recorded.  Also, the past several years, El Nino and otherwise, have been characterized by warmer temperatures.   I think only time will tell if these rainfall and temperature anomalies are the result of "normal" perturbations or are indeed evidence of a warming overall planet.

Southern Australia will dry out and that is what's happening in the long term, although this year is an absolute exception. I can't wait for the place to dry out again.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 6 years later...

In Europe we do. Actually more and faster than I've ever expected. More extreme weather events. Unusual weather patterns happening more often. Hotter summers, warmer winters. More frequent cold blasts. Excessive droughts and also excessive and more concentraded rainfall. And everything in a rapidly increasing pace. You can see, feel and prove the changes not only in 20 or 10 but also 5 year steps! Heading towards annually. It's also like 20 years ago you wouldn't notice much. 15 years not much more either. 10 years ago maybe a bit. 5 years ago it was considered to look like some things are directly rooted in climate change and now you get slapped with a reality check every couple of months. Even though on paper this trend is evident for over 20 years and especially in the last 20 years, 20 years ago it seemed to be something happening very slow and not really affecting your daily life. Now even the average person seems to be aware of the changes and every couple of months there is some weather extreme happening. Back in the day you could still consider it natural anomaly but now anomalies are the norm. You can also see the effects in management and people's behaviour. Paris for example is currently preparing for temperatures up to 50°C in the near future! You see AC systems being sold everywhere now in the warm seasons even here in Western and North-Western Europe. We sometimes even have water restrictions and in my city the Rhine river is at a low level every summer. This might sound normal to people in Southern California for example but here it isn't. You'll find all the well known "green meadow" parts of Western Europe like the UK or the Neatherlands to be looking like a Mediterranean dryland in most summers nowadays. There are records set constantly now. It used to be something like "the warmest year ever recorded" and now there are new records about everything all the time. The warmest month of xxx ever recorded. The most rainfall in one day ever recorded. The hottest temperature ever recorded and so on... Applying to all parts of Europe. And this includes former records. So the records that have been set just some month or years ago are constantly topped. Personally I notice those effects while gardening as well. Just to give you an example (one of many!): When we used to plant things here you could plant something out in the ground in spring, water it once or twice and then let it get established and you might had to start watering again in summer, when there were SOME phases without rainfall. Now even spring is so dry and sunny (and hot!) from the get go that I have issues with getting plants established without watching them everyday and watering them regularly. Last year was the first time I had to use frost fleece to protect plants from too much transpiration in full sun, so they could establish themselves. We used to have an abundance of water here and now you feel a bit ashamed when people see you watering your front garden frequently. This was never a thing here.

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

• 2 months later...

Climate change is a meaningless term, you cannot even define the word climate without the word change, the climate is always changing and always will. It is ridiculous for humans to beleive the weather we are used to will always be the same.

I know people will ask for proof....follow the money

Would investors and banks loan money for beach front projects if the oceans were really going to rise? Would Al Gore and Barack Obama buy homes at sea level on the ocean if this were REALLY happening?

Hundreds of climate crisis predictions and not one of them has come true.....The World will end next year, I promise, maybe the year after that.

This is all a scam designed to give control over energy policy to a few elites, which is ultimate control over everything.

True to form - a climate change discussion has veered into politics, and not something worthwhile for PalmTalk.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.