IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Stalled potted coconut palm growth?

Stethoscope

Hi everyone,

I have owned this coconut palm since mid July and it has not grown a single centimetre. I bought it directly from a nursery here in Toronto, it is of the Malaysian dwarf subtype by the nursery/brand loco coco. Do you guys think it's healthy? Any gross potassium or magnesium deficiency? 

It did have a fungus gnat infestation 2 weeks ago, after which I didn't water it and let the soil dry out while keeping it outdoors to prevent spread of the critters, they have thankfully not returned. 

The soil is 50% perlite and 50% regularpotting soil. 

Thanks in advance.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Coconuts need lots of sun, heat and humidity. Growth will stall if they don't get those. If you keep it in your house it isn't getting what it needs. Your coconut was probably shipped north from FL where they are rockets. But the climate qualities that make great coconut palms run counter to human comfort.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

It gets around 4-6 hours of direct sunlight, my condo balcony faces East; hence the limited sunlight. 

I suppose there isn't much more I can do to kickstart growth. I'll try to optimize fertilization and see what happens. 

Thanks.

That's not enough sunlight at your latitude, esp. going into fall. Did it get lots of hours at temps above 25C? Any above 30C? How chilly are the nights there in summer?

Meg

Florida

PalmatierMeg is spot on.  More sun and warmth. Plus, as she alluded to, the plant may be in some shock.  The change in climate for the little thing can throw it off.

You may see some growth next year.  But this year is a loss.  Too late.  

This winter do all you can to give it sun, warmth and humidity. The dry indoor air will be rough on it.

That said, do NOT spray the leaves nor get water in the crown.  You will rot it out in no time flat.

Go easy on the water this winter.

If you do fertilize, use a synthetic that is time released and formulated specifically for palms.  Heavy organics will invite root rot in potted palms...trust me on this. :(

All things being equal, I would wait to fertilize till next Spring.

8 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Coconuts need lots of sun, heat and humidity. Growth will stall if they don't get those. If you keep it in your house it isn't getting what it needs. Your coconut was probably shipped north from FL where they are rockets. But the climate qualities that make great coconut palms run counter to human comfort.

This.....

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

That's not enough sunlight at your latitude, esp. going into fall. Did it get lots of hours at temps above 25C? Any above 30C? How chilly are the nights there in summer?

Toronto gets around 15-17 C at night on average (58-64 F) in June-August. This summer was a record breaker with something on the order of 30 days over 35 C (95F) and I tried to maintain it outside for as long as possible. 

7 hours ago, Hammer said:

PalmatierMeg is spot on.  More sun and warmth. Plus, as she alluded to, the plant may be in some shock.  The change in climate for the little thing can throw it off.

You may see some growth next year.  But this year is a loss.  Too late.  

This winter do all you can to give it sun, warmth and humidity. The dry indoor air will be rough on it.

That said, do NOT spray the leaves nor get water in the crown.  You will rot it out in no time flat.

Go easy on the water this winter.

If you do fertilize, use a synthetic that is time released and formulated specifically for palms.  Heavy organics will invite root rot in potted palms...trust me on this. :(

All things being equal, I would wait to fertilize till next Spring.

I won't spray the plant and will go easy with watering and delay fertilization, thanks Hammer. Do you guys recommend any particular palm fertilizer? 

What do you guys think of this fertilizer?: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087OTTPI/ref=s9_cartx_gw_g86_i1_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=YRD704TXEZG7YR1C5WTG&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=6aad23bd-3035-4a40-b691-0eefb1a18396&pf_rd_i=desktop

I appreciate the detailed responses....you guys are awesome. 

Funny you find PalmGain. A number of people here on PT who are great growers have used it with great success this year.  I just picked up a bag myself and put down the first application a couple weeks ago.  Too soon to tell how it is impacting palms in my garden.  But people I respect swear by it.

One other thing I should have mentioned.  I've killed plenty of Cocos in pots. My last one was self inflicted crown rot.  I got water in the crown and that was all she wrote.  

But till that point the palm was really healthy.  When I bought the palm, I had potted it up right away.  I used a home brew mix that consisted of a one part loose mix potting soil and 2 to 3 parts pure sand.

The sand really helped me keep from over watering. Because it drained so fast and didn't allow the roots to sit in soggy cool soil all winter, it helped keep the palm hydrated with more frequent watering than would normally have been possible but lowered the risk of root rot.

Hope that helps.

Isn't there someone in Germany who has a stunning indoor-grown Cocos? Let me see if I can find that post...

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

20 hours ago, Missi said:

Isn't there someone in Germany who has a stunning indoor-grown Cocos? Let me see if I can find that post...

I believe that person lives in the Netherlands. He kept the coconut by a window next to a large fish tank that raised humidity considerably. That was at least several years ago so I don't know if he still has the palm

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2016‎ ‎11‎:‎27‎:‎46‎, PalmatierMeg said:

I believe that person lives in the Netherlands. He kept the coconut by a window next to a large fish tank that raised humidity considerably. That was at least several years ago so I don't know if he still has the palm

Yes, that was who I was thinking of! I never could find the post and I remember it being an older post. I think I initially came across it in one of my searches.

On 2016-10-04, 9:26:55, Missi said:

Yes, that was who I was thinking of! I never could find the post and I remember it being an older post. I think I initially came across it in one of my searches.

Anyone able to find the post and pics? 

11 minutes ago, Stethoscope said:

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

27 minutes ago, Stethoscope said:

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Hmm...those MIGHT be who I was thinking of but I feel like the one I saw was from a guy who had just one and it was larger than the 2 the person posted in the above linked posts...he has just one Cocos but several other species of potted palms...