IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms in habitat New Caledonia

Sir Oxylon

Here are some photographs from a trip to Plateau du Dogny in the central part of Grand Terre, New Caledonia. I drived to the base of the plateau at around 100 m above sea level and then you ascend 900 metres on a walking track through forest until you reach the undulating plateau. Most of the Plateau is covered in thickets of fern (mostly Gleichenia dicarpa and Dicranopteris linearis for those interested). The palms are in the forest (leading up to the top and in drainage lines and along creek on the Plateau). The best looking individuals are in shade. All species seem to occur in a variety of different levels of soil moisture, but Cyphosperma balansae was always in deep shade in humid, moist sites.

Photos 1 and 2 Clinosperma bracteale

Photos 3 and 4 Basselinia tomentosa

Photos 5 and 6 Basselinia velutina

Photos 7 and 8 Basselia eriostachys

Photo 9 Basselinia eriostachys (skinny small form but probably not gracilis because it grows too tall)

Photo 10 Cyphosperma balansae (with Basselinia velutina behind)

Photo 11 Burretiokentia vieillardii

ClinospermabractealeDogny.JPG

ClinospermabractealeDogny2.JPG

BasseliniatomentosaDogny.JPG

BasseliniatomentosaDogny2.JPG

BasseliniavelutinaDogny.JPG

BasseliavelutinaDogny.JPG

BasseliniaeriostachysDogny.JPG

BasseliniaeriostachysDogny3.JPG

BasseliaeriostachysskinnyDogny.JPG

CyphospermabalansaeDogny.JPG

BurretiokentiavieillardiiDogny.JPG

• Upvote 4

The Burretiokentia was on the climb approaching the plateau between about 500-800 metres above sea level, all the other photographs were taken above 900 metres on or on the rim of the Plateau. I also saw Burretiokentia vieillardia at Ningua between 900 and 1200 metres.

Terrific thread Daniel, love all the pics mate, Ill have to pick your brain mate when you back home mate, newcal on list to visit 

Thanks Paul 

Looks like there is a lot of primary forest still left. You heading up north too?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Must.... Go.... To..... New... CALEDONIA!!!!:bemused:

Thank you for your trek and posting Daniel!

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Wow nothing beats habitat shots. Newcal palms do really well for us here. Great to see them in their natural environment. What 

a beautiful place to hike.

thank you

Back home now. Ask away whenever Comic. Didn't go to the north, just central and south. Still lots of intact vegetation. It is the lowland forest that has been impacted hardest. Here is another photo of Burretiokentia vieillardii in the wild on Mt Ningua.

BurretiokentiavieillardiiNingua.JPG

BurretiokentiavieillardiiNingua.JPG

• Upvote 4

Awesome habitat photos...well done !

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

well done Daniel!

thanks for all the awesome habitat pic's.

they are my favorite

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Did you see any B.vieillardii with the intricate markings on the crownshaft?  Habitat shots seem mostly to show plain brown...   Still a great palm of course!

cheers Rich

Yes Rich. Some had them-I think it is related to the age of the leaf sheath. I may have pics of some with markings stay tuned.