IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mediterranean Fan Palm Native To What Areas of Europe?

PalmTreeDude

Exactly how far does the known native range of Chamaerops humilis go in Europe? I know Spain, Portugal, Italy, and France (in the south) have them. But are there any more countries that have them? And does anyone happen to have a map of the native range? Thank you for reading! 

• Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

I think palmpedia lists all the countries they are present in and I'm sure I've seen a map somewhere too. A google search might throw up a map.

Regards Neil

5 hours ago, Neil C said:

Chamaerops distribution and google images will show you some maps. I always thought they extended further east but clearly not.

Regards Neil

Once indeed! Fossils and a fresco discovered in archaeological excavations in Thera  depicting theophrasti and Chamaerops are quite strong evidence, not to mention the reddish unicorn , ooops sorry, native, creeping Chamaerops on Crete...

Edited by Phoenikakias
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

there are different varieties (cerifera/argenta, vulcano) in some areas. The Aeolian Islands (vulcano) are not marked in the map above, also not Majorca, where I found the usual "humilis" in the wild. Native chamaerops are unknown In the eastern parts of the Mediterranean sea.

USDA 10b - 19.1°C/ 66.4°F 24hr average/ year

sunshine: 3.400 hrs year.

Precipitation: 380mm/ 15 inches/ year.

58 minutes ago, nick said:

there are different varieties (cerifera/argenta, vulcano) in some areas. The Aeolian Islands (vulcano) are not marked in the map above, also not Majorca, where I found the usual "humilis" in the wild. Native chamaerops are unknown In the eastern parts of the Mediterranean sea.

»… the Balearic Islands should also be marked black« (see above!); Mallorca is the largest of those islands. And Vulcano is inside the marked region:

57e96472aaf5f_Lotschert1985p086IMG_9037.

• Upvote 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Chamaerops humilis is also native to Malta, though found only in a few sheltered & protected spots now as much of their habitat was cleared for agriculture over the centuries. DNA testing was carried out on large old clumps planted at the San Anton Palace gardens several years ago & it was found these plants were "Maltese" & were originally taken from the wild, since then many palms have been grown from its seeds & re-planted into the wild...

• Upvote 4

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

4 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

»… the Balearic Islands should also be marked black« (see above!); Mallorca is the largest of those islands. And Vulcano is inside the marked region:

57e96472aaf5f_Lotschert1985p086IMG_9037.

Is the French population native?

11 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

sorry, I thought only the black was the region.

Edited by nick

USDA 10b - 19.1°C/ 66.4°F 24hr average/ year

sunshine: 3.400 hrs year.

Precipitation: 380mm/ 15 inches/ year.

That map is pretty accurate, a few inaccuracies:

They are definitely in Mallorca, not sure if they are on the other Balearic islands (Ibiza, Menorca). They are extinct in Malta.

In Sardinia, on the West Coast they range from the North all the way down to about the center (vicinity of Oristano).

I think they are also around the vicinity of Barcelona too.

PalmSavannaThumb.jpg

33 minutes ago, GMann said:

That map is pretty accurate, a few inaccuracies:

They are definitely in Mallorca, not sure if they are on the other Balearic islands (Ibiza, Menorca). They are extinct in Malta.

In Sardinia, on the West Coast they range from the North all the way down to about the center (vicinity of Oristano).

I think they are also around the vicinity of Barcelona too.

They are not extinct in Malta, they are classed as very rare as only a small number exist in sheltered wooded & valley areas that are now protected. There are photographs of wild specimens in the link I posted.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

2 minutes ago, GMann said:

Thank you SouthSeaNate.

I read they were extinct in this article:

http://www.palms.org/principes/1995/vol39n4p190-196.pdf

Are you from Malta? I went there for a wedding once. Nice place. What is the hardiness zone in Malta? I expect you can grow some palms there that you cannot grow elsewhere in Europe.

They are very nearly extinct, with just a couple of spots where they still exist & only thanks to these areas either being at the bottom of steep valley areas or within protected zones, one of these being the only wooded area left in Malta, Buskett.

I am from the UK but now live in Malta. The hardiness zone here is 11a, the record low at the airport inland is 1.4C/35F & here at the coast 4C/39F. The climate is great for growing many tropical plants, but unfortunately not many palms are available here so I'm having to either grow from seed or buy seedlings from overseas...

• Upvote 1

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

On 9/26/2016, 8:32:58, Pal Meir said:

Here a rough sketch from Lötschert 1985, p.85; the Balearic Islands should also be marked black:

57e914eb9465b_Lotschert1985p086IMG_9037.

I like this map!

PalmTreeDude

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2016‎ ‎2‎:‎38‎:‎31‎, SouthSeaNate said:

I am from the UK but now live in Malta. The hardiness zone here is 11a, the record low at the airport inland is 1.4C/35F & here at the coast 4C/39F. The climate is great for growing many tropical plants, but unfortunately not many palms are available here so I'm having to either grow from seed or buy seedlings from overseas...

Sounds like there may be a gap in the market. You could set up a little mini nursery starting off with some seeds of fast growers. The Bismarck palm grows really fast and would probably do well there.

PalmSavannaThumb.jpg

22 hours ago, GMann said:

Sounds like there may be a gap in the market. You could set up a little mini nursery starting off with some seeds of fast growers. The Bismarck palm grows really fast and would probably do well there.

Yeah that's something I had thought about actually, I don't have a very big garden currently though, so it would have to be a very small set up...

One of the garden centres near me did have some biggish Bismarckias in a few months back, as well as trunking Dypsis decaryi, so perhaps they are slowly starting to fill Malta with some more unusual palms, for here anyway. They had tall trunked Archontophoenix alexandrae as well, likely these were destined for a new development somewhere, so if these palms are seen by more people they may start requesting different species from the nurseries, here's hoping anyway!

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

• 1 year later...
On 9/26/2016, 8:32:58, Pal Meir said:

Here a rough sketch from Lötschert 1985, p.85; the Balearic Islands should also be marked black:

57e914eb9465b_Lotschert1985p086IMG_9037.

Sorry for bringing back this old thread, but it appears that map is in a book? What book is it if it is?

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

Wilhelm Loetschert "PALMEN Botanik-Kultur-Nutzung" 1985 Verlag Eugen Ulmer. The map is on page 86. I hope Pal is fine, since he seems absent for a while. There are rumours of a wild stand also in Crete. If someone locates it , IPS should grant her/him a free membership for life time...

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...
On 26/9/2016, 01:21:08, PalmTreeDude said:

Exactly how far does the known native range of Chamaerops humilis go in Europe? I know Spain, Portugal, Italy, and France (in the south) have them. But are there any more countries that have them? And does anyone happen to have a map of the native range? Thank you for reading! 

they are naturalized in coastal croatia too.

• Upvote 1

I have never seen them as native here around Rome, only as far North as Latina, 50 km south of Rome. They do reseed here from the plants in parks and gardens. Here is a picture of a native population in Sicily. You can see why they are called humilis!

Tomas

S42000136.JPG

• Upvote 2