IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ensetes on the Big Island

Justin

I saw some Ensetes (ornamental bananas) in SoCal recently, and it made me think it was odd that I haven't seen any in Hawaii.  I'm not sure if that is because of lack of plants, poor growing conditions, or something else.  Does anyone know how Ensetes would do in Hawaii, either in drier conditions or in the rainforest?

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

I clearly remember seeing them at Lyon Arboretum. Can't think why they wouldn't thrive in your garden. They might multiply too quickly?  No idea...

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

They've used them in the new planting a at Ala Moana but I've never seen them for sale 

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Ensete seem to appreciate cooler temps.  More of a cloud forest type situation.  Perhaps over time they don't look their best without cool night time temps?

• Upvote 2

Ensete are native to Africa and South Asia ( India, Thailand, Papua New Guinea ect.  ). Soo they prefer tropical climate without cool nights.

Also Ensete are different than Musa. Ensete bananas can naturally multiply only by seeds. Ensete normally do not sucker like Musa bananas. They flower only once and die. Soo you must buy new ones every few years.

• Upvote 1

I'm all the more miffed that these are tough to come by, after seeing these responses.  I'll see what I dig up (no pun intended).

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

4 hours ago, Cikas said:

Ensete are native to Africa and South Asia ( India, Thailand, Papua New Guinea ect.  ). Soo they prefer tropical climate without cool nights.

Also Ensete are different than Musa. Ensete bananas can naturally multiply only by seeds. Ensete normally do not sucker like Musa bananas. They flower only once and die. Soo you must buy new ones every few years.

Ensete ventricosum/maurellii grow in tropical Africa, yes.  But grow at a fair bit of altitude.  About 3,300 feet (1,000 meters) to 5,250 feet (1,600 meters).  There preferred temp range is 60°f to 75°f or 16C to 24C.  Warmer than temperate but not exactly Amazonian.

• Upvote 2

I have Ensete ventricosum var. Maurelli and it is growing fast and healthy with my spanish Summer.

Last four months with temps between 22°-30°.

They don't like real heat... a few nights of cooler night temps (75°f) and they pushed new growth and colored up with a bit of nice red colors.

They are fast growers but as soon as our night temps warm up they lose all their nice color and look like a regular green banana plant.

• Upvote 2

I have one in Tucson AZ. It actually handled full sun throughout the summer but as mentioned they lose some of the deep color in those conditions. Winds ripped mine up a few days ago...

I grow and sell hundreds of e. Ventricosum and glacuum every year.  The size of glacuum is impressive while the color of ventricosum is unique for a tropical that will survive zone 8 winters. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2016, 12:51:05, Justin said:

I'm all the more miffed that these are tough to come by, after seeing these responses.  I'll see what I dig up (no pun intended).

They are very easy from seed (borderline invasive here).

When I finally found a few plants of Ensete ventricosum var. Maurellii at a nursery here on Hawaii Island I bought one and planted it in our upslope garden in south Kona at an elevation of about 1,250 ft,  It grew slowly during our winter season with slightly cooler nights but the long summer season with even warmer days and nights it gradually succumbed,  This is such a beautiful plant when grown in a climate that suits it.  I remember seeing magnificent big plants growing in Chapultepec Park in Mexico City with their high elevation and mild cool temperatures in a tropical latitude.  No, unfortunately you don't see them growing in Hawaii, at least not at lower elevations.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

2 hours ago, Al in Kona said:

When I finally found a few plants of Ensete ventricosum var. Maurellii at a nursery here on Hawaii Island I bought one and planted it in our upslope garden in south Kona at an elevation of about 1,250 ft,  It grew slowly during our winter season with slightly cooler nights but the long summer season with even warmer days and nights it gradually succumbed,  This is such a beautiful plant when grown in a climate that suits it.  I remember seeing magnificent big plants growing in Chapultepec Park in Mexico City with their high elevation and mild cool temperatures in a tropical latitude.  No, unfortunately you don't see them growing in Hawaii, at least not at lower elevations.

Thanks for the perspective. That sounds pretty consistent with my experience in California and reading of its preferences.