IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Growing from seed what you can't keep alive as grown palm

sashaeffer

I love both the Verschaffeltia splendida and the Foxtail palm and both are easy and cheap to buy online BUT both will die on me easily within a month of getting them, especially the Splendida.

Getting seeds is easy enough with the splendida I got from "Dundee" a member here on palm talk. Both palms are fast germinators and quick growers although the foxtail isn't as fast as established palms. The splendida are little rockets!  neither of these species has shown any problems growing indoors where they will always stay. If they were born in this environment then they will stay inside. I would say to any member here if you've had a palm that you've bought but just can't keep alive indoors....try them from seed!

I have 7 of the Splendida and 3 of the Foxtails total.

DSCF0146.JPG

DSCF0148.JPG

• Upvote 2

aww you make me sad i didnt jump on some V splendida seeds when I had the chance! None of the tropicals i chose have sprouted, even on a heat mat :[

Where do you keep the V splendida indoors? In the bathroom, a glasshouse, or just living room? At a sunny window? On a heat mat? I thought they are prone to spider mites if kept in a dry environment. So far I failed to keep them alive for more than a year or so, and I've tried several times.

Foxtail palms I find rather easy to keep (I had some failures though), but growing slowly.

Munich City

USDA Zone 7b

190 miles from next coast.

Elevation 1673ft (510m)

Average annual low temp: 9F (-13C)

Average annual rainfall: 40" (100cm)

My V splendida  I keep all but one in a East facing window and all of them are growing in 20oz Styrofoam coffee cups. I used these for ease of transplanting into lager pots in the future. They are all on a warming mat still(even the 1 odd one) All of the have been used to air conditioned air during the summer kept at 76 f

My history of Foxtails is that I had bought some under 2ft size on Ebay and each of them quickly died(kept indoors) I bought a  6/7 foot one at a local nursery that happened to have one for sale, bought it and it stayed outside during the summer and it did fine, grew quick etc but went down hill when it was time to bring indoors. Same thing happened to another one I bought about 5ft tall, plus spider mites seem to love these as well. To keep spider mites from spreading to other palms I put that palm in my garage for the winter with just one frond left and the spider mite problem stopped. That palm is still alive but still just one frond outside in our full summer/fall heat.

I have 3 of the seed grown ones, and one of them looks more like a dwarf tree vs the other two(one in pic) that are sort of "leggy"  All of them do just fine, no stress or issues.

One other note about the Foxtails.  I know a gal in Canada that has a triple foxtail and she said her success is that she keeps it in a semi heated barn where it doesn't drop below 40 and she allows it to go totally dry over the winter. Keeping it on the dry side seems to be the key.

Edited by sashaeffer
incorrect text

aww you make me sad i didnt jump on some V splendida seeds when I had the chance! None of the tropicals i chose have sprouted, even on a heat mat :[

Contact Dundee! he might have more!

• Upvote 1

I like to think palms grown from seed don't have a zone hardiness memory so when they germinate, that's all they know.....not like a salmon memory, returning from it's source. 

It doesn't read too well, but i know what I wanted to say......plus it's fun growing from seed

• Upvote 1