IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Remove existing palms to make room for another?

Jdiaz31089

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I'd follow up on this thread since you all had great suggestions. I did in the end part ways with the queen palms.  A neighbor of mine came and took them a few days ago. They'll live and grow down the street from me. 

20170309_120009.thumb.jpg.7377dccf96dc62

And just this morning I planted this beautiful beccariophoenix alfredii off-center on the left side of the yard. 

20170311_101019.thumb.jpg.3bbbb73482b325

• Upvote 4

• 11 months later...

I thought I'd post an updated photo of the jubaeopsis today. This is just about the 1-year mark for this palm being in the ground. We've had a very mild winter and this palm hasn't batted an eye and even grew actively all winter. Winner all around. 10 out of 10 in my book. 

20180210_090729.thumb.jpg.19c5f01a00954c

• Upvote 3

Its new fronds seem acclimated to full sun exposure. The older fronds all had a bit of burn

20180213_082625.png

• Upvote 6

"I edit (my palms)

"So I am!"

Nice editing @Josue Diaz!

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I'm hopeless in terms of advice for California, except that the state has an amazing native flora, no doubt with some species that would fit into your yard.  

Here in Florida, Syagrus romanzoffiana is lousy choice, nutrient problems and poor wind resistance.  There''s lots and lots of betters.

I should remove a triangle (Dyspsis decaryi) on grounds that it's far too common a palm.  But the thing is happy as all getout and shades a bunch of Chamaedoreas.  

Congrats on the lack of lawn.

• Upvote 1

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

• 1 month later...

Update photo from this morning. I love taking garden photos on overcast mornings. My jubaeopsis keep getting those dry tips in summer, I'm not sure what else to do about it other than give it extra water. The street trees should start providing some much needed shade this year so maybe that will help it.

20180405_075049.jpg

• Upvote 4

• 6 months later...