IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

RobustaEnvirons

Recently, I read of a man in England that has been growing a spiderworts (Tradescantia) in a sealed glass container since 1960. That is 56 years its been growing inside there without any water (he did actually water it once in 1972, but only that one time). Its a sealed ecosystem where the plant has created its own water cycle and CO2 cycle as well. During the day the plant takes in CO2 using the sunlight it receives from a nearby window, and during the night it makes CO2. Due to the sealed system, it continually reuses the water that it was given so long ago (about a .5 - 1 pint of water). That got me thinking of whether this would work with a palm tree.    

I've been contemplating starting a Terrarium with a different glass container than the one this guy used though. I would probably go with one that's more square shaped but large. I could prepare the Terrarium with a layer of stones on the bottom for drainage, and then charcoal, and on then potting soil. The last and final step would be to drop in a fresh seed. This would allow the palm to grow from the beginning inside the container and acclimate accordingly. 

It does make me wonder though:

Would the palm only grow within the confines of the glass container? Would it grow to the top and stop? Or, would it smash itself into the "Ceiling" and look mangled? 

Would mold form quickly on the seed from all the water vapor in the sealed Terrarum and then kill it? 

I've thought of maybe doing this and then dropping a spare Washy seed I have, inside to sort of experiment and see what happens. 

It definitely wouldn't have to worry about needing water since it would be a closed system!

But, I know Washies don't like humidity and are desert palms requiring very little water. Still though it may be cool to see what happens, especially if the Washy stays small and grows in a Bonsai sort of way (with slowed and stunted growth).  

Still going strong: Pensioner David Latimer from Cranleigh, Surrey, with his bottle garden that was first planted 53 years ago and has not been watered since 1972 - yet continues to thrive in its sealed environment

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2267504/The-sealed-bottle-garden-thriving-40-years-fresh-air-water.html

Just a curious idea to ponder...

Edited by RobustaEnvirons
  • Upvote 1

Richard Berry 

Toledo, Ohio. Zone 6b, along the Western Shores of Lake Erie. I'm a big Potted Palm enthusiast. I love the Washingtonia Robusta: its Resilient, Adaptable, and grows so rapidly. You can't keep it down; The Skyscraper Palm!  

Have thought about this too....to a degree for a Lipstick palm, but only if in time top could be removed to it could continue to grow. Would be nice if there was a easy way...and accurate to cut the top off the container so it just sat on the bottom so it could be removed when needed.

I don't want t be a total pessimist here but creating a closed ecosystem will be very delicate procedure and many variables will have to be taken into account, appart from the water and CO2 cycle. Lots of research will have to be done to finally aquire some sort of equilibrium. The right mix of microorganisms might have to be ented to the system as well.

I think it would be more healthy for a palm to try to get close to its specific requirements by for example letting it grow in a glass orchid bowl which is not a closed system but does boost humidity and temperature.

Still the idea of closed system intrigues me. Maybe a better compettitor for closed system growing could be IMO one of those tiny Dypsis species (D. minuta or poivreana for example) or maybe a Chamaedorea which are very forgiving usually. I wouldn't attempt a fast growing skyduster palm for this.

...got me thinking...

• Upvote 2

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

8 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

PS

Why Ch elegans? I think it is very cheap, easy to purchase, small in habit, very »palm like« even with its first (already pinnate!) leaf, and it loves humid air. :greenthumb::D

Ok, thanks :lol:! That's something I'll keep in mind. I wasn't sure if this was something I wanted to try or not, but I was just kind of playing around with the idea. I only thought of using a Washy seed, since I have about 45 seeds left over. They'll all likely just not ending up being used. I think Washy seeds only have a shelf-life of 1 year and mine are coming up on a year soon. 

I didn't mean that I would use a Washy they I've already got growing! No way. I only meant that I could drop a seed into a glass container. I have 2 Washy's in my personal collection that are doing very well, and they are staying where they are :D.  

Richard Berry 

Toledo, Ohio. Zone 6b, along the Western Shores of Lake Erie. I'm a big Potted Palm enthusiast. I love the Washingtonia Robusta: its Resilient, Adaptable, and grows so rapidly. You can't keep it down; The Skyscraper Palm!  

12 hours ago, Kai said:

I don't want t be a total pessimist here but creating a closed ecosystem will be very delicate procedure and many variables will have to be taken into account, appart from the water and CO2 cycle. Lots of research will have to be done to finally aquire some sort of equilibrium. The right mix of microorganisms might have to be ented to the system as well.

I think it would be more healthy for a palm to try to get close to its specific requirements by for example letting it grow in a glass orchid bowl which is not a closed system but does boost humidity and temperature.

Still the idea of closed system intrigues me. Maybe a better compettitor for closed system growing could be IMO one of those tiny Dypsis species (D. minuta or poivreana for example) or maybe a Chamaedorea which are very forgiving usually. I wouldn't attempt a fast growing skyduster palm for this.

...got me thinking...

Its definitely interesting, and I only really thought of doing something like this since I've got a lot of Washy seeds left in my possession. I don't have any other palm seeds, since I live in NW Ohio. I think I'll probably just not do a project like this, I was just throwing it out there to see what others thought. I don't need to begin a project like this right now and spend money and all that. Also, with Winter soon upon me, I need to concentrate on the Washies I've got and soon overwintering them. 

Richard Berry 

Very interesting topic. If I were to try terrarium growing, I would do it with Dypsis minuta, which is probably the smallest palm in the world. I've killed them in traditional pot growing.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.