IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Moving Allagoptera arenaria and Pseudophoenix sargentii

Justin P

About 10 years ago I planted quite a few 3 gallon palms in my back yard. I recently moved two of them - both Thrinax radiatas. I discussed that move in this post.

I'm now considering moving two more palms (and a tree) and was looking for some feedback from the Palm Talk community.

The first palm I am considering moving is an Allagoptera arenaria. I really like this palm and have enjoyed watching it grow over the years. Unfortunately, I did not properly anticipate its growth habit. It has developed four trunks which are at a 45 degree angle to my screen patio. Here is a close up of the trunks:

57d45d8fea930_Allagopteraarenaria3.thumb

This isn't a very good photo because it was taken early morning, but here is the view of the palm from my screen patio (looking west):

57d45dbdb958e_Allagopteraarenaria1.thumb

I would like to move the Allagoptera arenaria to the south side of my yard for three reasons:

• The palm will provide a nice focal point in the new position, as well as contrast to the Copernicia macroglossa
  • I can properly align the four trunks of the palm along the fence which borders the south end of my yard
  • I can move my Pseudophoenix sargentii to the spot where the Allagoptera arenaria was previously located, which will allow me to more easily plant a uniform shrub under the palms along the west end of my screen patio

Here is the approximate spot I would like to move the Allagoptera arenaria from two perspectives. The first perspective is looking south from my screen patio:

57d45ed54d0ad_LocationforAllagopteraaren

Here is the second perspective, looking west from the south end of my yard:

57d45f23c567f_LocationforAllagopteraaren

I apologize for the rough mock-ups which were prepared using Microsoft Paint.

My questions:

• Do you have any tips for moving an Allagoptera arenaria?
  • Will the palm do well in the new position?

Secondly, I would like to move this Pseudophoenix sargentii to the current location of the Allagoptera arenaria:

57d46125e3478_Pseudophoenixsargentii1.th

I'm sorry for the poor photo, which was taken through the screen door.

My questions:

• Do you have any tips for moving a Pseudophoenix sargentii?
  • I'm pretty sure it would, but do you think the palm will do well in the new position?

Lastly, and if I shouldn't have posted this here please let me know and I'll delete this, but can anyone share thoughts on moving a Magnolia grandiflora? I would to move this tree approximately 15' to the north east:

57d4629661799_Magnoliagrandiflora1.2.thu

Thank you for feedback! I have used feedback from this community for years and I really appreciate it.

Best regards,

Justin

Allagoptera is probably going to detest being moved.  Ken Johnson has said its like moving Serenoa repens, tough.  If it dies, just get a new one and help the Palm growing nurseries.  Pseudophoenix, I don't know.  The Magnolia is a bit rangy already making me think it's roots are compromised in some way.  It won't like the soil/sand falling off the roots.  Keep it well watered after the move attempt.  Don't be surprised if it karks too but at least it's easy to find a replacement.  

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

I gave away a very large Allagoptera this past winter; like yours, it was proving to be a much more sizable palm than I'd anticipated. I got an email from him (Josh-o, actually) who said that he was afraid he'd killed it, as it had lost most all of it's leaves following the transplant. But he said that all the stems had begun growing again, albeit with smaller leaves. So it sounds like it does indeed detest being moved, but with enough rootball, can make a comeback.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

32 minutes ago, quaman58 said:

I gave away a very large Allagoptera this past winter; like yours, it was proving to be a much more sizable palm than I'd anticipated. I got an email from him (Josh-o, actually) who said that he was afraid he'd killed it, as it had lost most all of it's leaves following the transplant. But he said that all the stems had begun growing again, albeit with smaller leaves. So it sounds like it does indeed detest being moved, but with enough rootball, can make a comeback.

Bret, I just say your baby last week at the Vista garden. it Roaring back with vengeance.. lol

Justin, they take a big hit but bounce back in no time.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I dug a 7' OA Allagoptera back in June out of pure sand which left the palm with basically zero rootball by the time i got it out. I removed 50% of the leaves while digging it and then potted it up in a 25g. I marked the spear and left the fronds tied up for the last 3 months and it resumed growth on all three trunks about two weeks ago. It has been on a constant drip and very well irrigated the entire time under 30% shadecloth. To date i have lost zero foliage and I'm looking forward to planting it out next year. I have been very happy with the sucess of this Allogoptera.  

Great to hear of two successful Allagoptera moves!  We have 3 here in the middle of FL. And I really like them.  I know where to get a couple more if needed.  I hope none of them ever require a Relo, but if they do, here's my plan:. Dig during the rainy season and keep them well watered and shaded a bit while they recover.  

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Are there any opinions on moving the palm this time of year?

Any thoughts on moving the P. sargentii in general and this time of the year?

Being in Port Saint Lucie (solid 10A), I think you could move the Allogoptera now. I wouldn't chance it in a 9A or even 9B at this time of year.

4 hours ago, Justin P said:

Are there any opinions on moving the palm this time of year?

Any thoughts on moving the P. sargentii in general and this time of the year?

Are you in a big hurry? You might have more success if you move them at the beginning of the growing season, not the end. Something like 40˚ won't hurt either of those palms normally, but it won't help them trying to grow new roots to get re-established. 

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

• 1 year later...

Good ol Palmtalk with great info. About to move a small Allogoptera....will try to remember to post some pics.

• Upvote 1

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil