Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Apollo Heat Mat - I Am New To This!

6 posts in this topic

Hello! I just got an Apollo heat mat (User knell introduced me to Apollo heat mats.) and it is a simple basic 10 dollar one I ordered from Amazon, it had great reviews. So, how exactly do I use this thing with the baggy method? I want to use the baggy and paper towel method, without growing mold, which almost always happens. How exactly should I go about this? And tips or advice on how to use heat mats for palms will be appreciated!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Use mats with a thermostat, set at 30degrees Celsius and make sure they are raised above the mat cover with container, make sure moisture in bag is just damp, you don't need much moisture at all.

What you trying to germinate? 

I have used another type for germinating seeds.  My suggestion is to have your own thermometer to correlate with the temperature setting.  Mine was actually 15 degrees warmer.  Cecile

On 1/3/2017, 8:33:40, palmad Merc said:

Use mats with a thermostat, set at 30degrees Celsius and make sure they are raised above the mat cover with container, make sure moisture in bag is just damp, you don't need much moisture at all.

What you trying to germinate? 

I am trying to germinate Sabal palmetto, Needle Palms, and Washingtonia robusta (they are sprouting quicker on the heating mat, even though they normally do that).

I need to get a thermostat or something for it. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• Are These Wild (Naturalized) Coconuts?
      By PalmTreeDude
      I found these on Google Maps just south of Jupiter Island, are these ntuarally growing washed up coconuts? I think they really look cool. 
      https://www.google.com/maps/@27.1030754,-80.1345047,3a,75y,217.25h,86.75t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1svm_ImEy0OHeyoTYkj4ArSg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3Dvm_ImEy0OHeyoTYkj4ArSg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D252.12529%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656
      https://www.google.com/maps/@27.0959938,-80.1305069,3a,75y,249.58h,92.44t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sU2B9LUMqmFYgu-ed6PTIeA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DU2B9LUMqmFYgu-ed6PTIeA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D286.57974%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656
    • Virginia Washingtonia robusta Fighting For Life
      By PalmTreeDude
      After a terrible winter, my Washingtonia robusta got beat up badly. Then at the very beginning of Spring, the spears pulled and I thought all hope was lost. But I checked it a few days ago and to my surprise I found this little bit of green. Today I inspected it more and found a new "stalk" coming up. It does not look that much like a spear, but at the top a little green frond shows. So I looked deeper with a flashlight and saw more life deeper down, but also bugs! I put some hydrogen peroxide down it (I have not done this for two weeks until now) and am hoping to kill off any pathogens that may harm it's new growth. Now, I will just have to wait and see what happens. It may end up just dying, or it may come back. In the pictures the green does not show well, but it is there and in person there is more than you can see in the pictures. 

• Do Florida Grown Palms Do Well In The Carolinas?
      By PalmTreeDude
      Since a lot of palms are grown in Florida and shipped up north, do palms grown in Florida do well in the Carolinas? For example, if a palm (let's say Butia, that has experience nothing below 30 degrees F) is shipped from Florida to somewhere like Myrtle Beach, will it end up burning in the winters? 
    • cocos australis? On a Butia?
      By PalmTreeDude
      My Pindo palm I got from Lowes says "cocos australis." What does this mean? Is it even a thing? I looked it up and some Butias came up and other palms came up. 

• Planting Chrsitmas Palm Seeds
      By PalmTreeDude
      So I planted my Christmas Palm seeds in a mixture of different soils, all are rich in nutrients. The only thing that concerned me about the whole process is that at the end I filled the pot up with water and was expecting some to come out of the bottom holes. Insted it sat on top of the soil and very slowly went down, and no water came out of the holes.