IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Chance Garden

Chris Chance

Place looks great! I like your palm choices... from around the corner in Orangecrest.... 

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

12 minutes ago, doubravsky said:

Place looks great! I like your palm choices... from around the corner in Orangecrest.... 

Thank you! You might actually be closer to me than anyone on the forum. 

I think this Livistona chinensis is going to trunk soon. Got some burn from that heatwave we had earlier this month. 

20180725_133011.jpg

• Like 2

Here's a look at the pond area. I really like the touch it adds to the tropical feel. Planted on the other side is a mule with droopy leaves which has recently exploded. 

20180725_132746.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Sabal mauritiiformis is very slow but picks up speed with heat. Even at a young age they look awesome!

20180725_132803.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Standing on the other side of the pond looking across the garden. Looks much different than when I first started the thread. 

20180725_132817.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

I still have lots of work to do. The front yard is much larger on a corner lot. My lady finally gave me the go ahead to remove all the grass and start more garden areas. That will begin this winter. Here's a view when someone walks up the the front door. Got rid of the 30 foot Washingtonia that was in the area. Got tired of seedlings popping up everywhere. 

20180725_132859.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Chris I need your number I got a new phone and lost a lot of My contacts now you need to add aome

copernicias to your garden they love our heat and have done fine for

me through our last 2 winters !!! 

9 minutes ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Chris I need your number I got a new phone and lost a lot of My contacts now you need to add aome

copernicias to your garden they love our heat and have done fine for

me through our last 2 winters !!! 

Okay I'll PM you. I would love to add some Copernicia to my garden. I know they're heag lovers but I worry about winter. I definitely see more frost out this way. Guess get em in the ground and find out. First I just need to locate some.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been posting from my phone so not the best pictures but it works. Here's Dypsis albofarinosa staying solitary and flowering. No seed yet but the newest flower is looking good. Pardon the weeds. This is the next spot to clean out.

20180803_073720.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• 5 months later...

After all the cold we had last month my garden is actually looking good still except for plants like bananas.  Thought I would add some more photos.  Just looking back at pictures from last summer I can see a difference. Some palms really put on some size since. Here's my Kentiopsis olivaformis 

20190110_152106.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

How do you find upkeep of the pond? I like the idea for my future garden but I'm not sure of the head ache that goes along with it. 

Garden looks fantastic! 

37 minutes ago, RJ said:

How do you find upkeep of the pond? I like the idea for my future garden but I'm not sure of the head ache that goes along with it. 

Garden looks fantastic! 

Thanks RJ! Honestly I don't do much but add water and once in a while clean the pumps. I have a UV clarifier connected to a small pump and that helps keep the water crystal clear. I think it's worth it hearing flowing water and birds come and visit. Only headache is when raccoons discover the pond and they try to get the fish. When that happens they tear up the lillies. At this time of the year the lillies are dormant but still looks cool.

20190110_160555.jpg

• Upvote 1

Started clearing out all if the purple heart plant and since I'm getting some shade now I'm starting to add Chameadoria. 

20190110_161816.jpg

• Like 3

What I like about starting this thread is now I can look back and see how much my garden has changed. Still have lots of work to do. My front yard is a good size and I plan on removing the grass and planting more out there. Going to be fun since I have an HOA and apparently they only want certain plants but I see most people in the area planted different plants than their lists. 

Looking good Chris.  Nice to see your Kentiopsis Oliviformis looking good. Those are so much tougher than most people think. Such a great palm for So Cal!

I have to agree Jason! This far inland just add some canopy and they do great. I have another that I will plant once I have more canopy in other areas.  At the rate the mules are growing I could have a spot within the next year.

• 4 months later...

Just to do some updates. Winter wasn't good to me here. Wasn't that we got a record low or anything but we had so many consecutive nights of low 30s and a frost. My Bizmarkia actually took damage which surprised me big time but it's growing out of it. Seems like the tips of the leaves browned. 

20190516_164933.jpg

• Like 1

One of my favorite palms the infamous tribear got beat up real bad. Wasn't just cold but also the wind took a toll. I came outside and it was leaning at a 45 degree angle.  I propped it back up with whatever lashing I could and now it's quickly making a recovery. I have another under canopy that's actually looking good. This one is exposed to the open sky. 

20190516_165054.jpg

Ravanaea glauca doing okay. Been in the ground for a few years and seems to be moving along now. 

20190516_165536.jpg

• Like 2

I have a king here that is doing okay. I finally got it growing normal with weekly peroxide treatments. 

20190516_165551.jpg

• Like 1

This is a hybrid from Patrick Schafer. I can't remember the cross at the moment. It was Butia something and syagrus. 

20190516_165605.jpg

• Like 1

Can't go wrong with the coco queen! I love this palm and seems to be moving along these days. 

20190516_165120.jpg

• Like 3

Alagoptera brevicalyx I planted as a seedling almost 4 years ago. Starting to like the look of this one.

20190516_165417.jpg

• Like 2

Not sure exactly what verity this cordyline is but man it's getting big. Got it as a clearance for $5 and stuck it in the ground. Might need to move it.

20190516_165320.jpg

• Like 1

Sabal mauritiiformis is starting to get bigger. Very slow palm indeed but seems reliable. 

20190516_165225.jpg

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Chris Chance said:

This is a hybrid from Patrick Schafer. I can't remember the cross at the moment. It was Butia something and syagrus. 

20190516_165605.jpg

That looks like his ((BxJ)xS)) ...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RJ said:

That looks like his ((BxJ)xS)) ...

I actually have that hybrid as well. Definitely not growing as fast but I also planted it in my front lawn. The one I have I can't remember the Butia it's crossed with. I can't find the order from when I bought it but it's definitely not that cross. The leaf base on bxjxs is more of a purple color. Here's the one I have. Not looking as good as i hoped but it's moving along. 

20190516_182430.jpg

• 7 months later...

Here's a couple of updates. First is my Parajubaea sunka which has done well here. I've noticed they grow fastest in the winter and spring then slow during the summer. 

20200113_081657.jpg

• Like 1