IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The 18th Annual Fall Searle Brothers Plant Extravaganza! -●●●- October 7th 8th 9th – 14th 15th 16th, 2016 -●●- S. Florida

Palmarum

Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc. &

The Rainforest Collection ®

presents...

The 18th Annual Fall

Plant Extravaganza!

October 7th 8th 9th – 14th 15th 16th

The spring and fall Searle Brothers Plant Extravaganzas have become exciting plant sales and a great way for IPS Members, Palmtalk Forum Members and fellow tropical palm & plant enthusiasts to come together and meet in the South Florida area. The events have always been a great way to spend a weekend in the company of those who share your passion for gardening and collecting tropical ornamental plants. To describe the events as just mere plant sales would be an understatement; as they have become much more in the form of social events for our friends and family. Forum members, friends and fellow plant collectors have all come from far and wide to attend and we are continuously surprised in the distances they will cover to share in the event. In regards to the following details, I have tried to include as much information about the upcoming Fall 'Ganza as I can. If you see something that you know should be included and it is missing, please post the idea(s) here or contact me, Jeff Searle or the nursery with the methods listed below and let us know...

South Florida Location:
Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc.
6640 SW 172nd Avenue
Southwest Ranches, Florida 33331
Western Broward County
*see Map below...

Fall 2016 Schedule:
Friday, October 7th- 8:00AM - 5:00PM
Saturday, October 8th - 8:00AM - 5:00PM 
Sunday, October 9th - 9:00AM - 4:00PM

also the following weekend...
Friday, October 14th- 8:00AM - 5:00PM
Saturday, October 15th- 8:00AM - 5:00PM
Sunday, October 16th- 9:00AM - 4:00PM

Barbecue Lunch:
Our Famous Weekend Free BBQ Lunch
First Weekend: (Saturday 11:00AM - 2:00PM) & (Sunday, 11:00AM - 2:00PM) (or until supplies last)

Contact List:
Nursery Office #: (954) 434-7681
Nursery Fax #: (954) 680-2750
Nursery Website: http://www.rainforestcollection.com/

Jeff Searle: phone #: (954) 658-4317 Email: palms@rainforestcollection.com
Private Message - Jeff Searle: Jeff Searle PM
Ryan (Palmarum) Email: palmthetree@yahoo.com or PM me a message through the Forum

Directions:
The map below is a general street map of western Broward County, Florida showing the location of the nursery (Palm tree symbol). Using Sheridan Street would be the best option to get to the nursery if you are heading west through the area. If you are taking the Florida Turnpike, use the Griffin Road exit from the north, or the Pines Blvd. exit from the south. If you need any additional directions, please contact the nursery, Jeff or I (Ryan). When you get close to the nursery, look for large power lines as they run east and west above the nursery. Parking is along the shoulder of 172nd Avenue in front of, and down the street from, the nursery entrance. If you intend to arrive early before sunrise (and many usually do) be wary of hard-to-see speed bumps along 172nd Avenue and there is a possibility of a speed trap as well. The has been considerable construction along I-75 so the exit near Sheridan Street has been changed slightly.

scan0004.jpg.1ebd6bfd91254cd32e3366f9a09

Plant Availability, Photo Requests:
For plant availability including a copy of the ever-growing list of palms, cycads and other information regarding which plants and species will be for sale, please contact the nursery, Jeff Searle or I (Ryan). The plant selection process has already begun and will continue right up to the last day before the Extravaganza, (sometimes even on the mornings of the event if the need applies.) The sale lists for palms, cycads and crotons will be made available as soon as they are completed. Special selections might be pulled for sale as requests, but only if the plants are available. There will be certain species, varieties and cultivars that will only be available in limited quantities. These rarer plants will likely sell out quickly in the morning hours, so be sure to arrange your wish list accordingly. Plant groups may have been moved around the sales area, relocated, or added in with others. In order to speed your way to your favorite plants please ask a nearby volunteer as to their location.

Like with previous events, I will be able to provide preview photos of the actual plants for sale. They will be posted in this topic for those who are interested. Send me a message or an email with the names of the plants you would like to see, including members of specific groups or genera. Sale booklets or sale lists will be made available at the Extravaganza. They will include the list of palms, cycads and crotons for sale. Holders located at both entrances to the main shade house will have the booklets on display along with other important information. As soon as I have a basic list of species and varieties for sale, I will be able to email or PM it to anyone who would want a copy. Each plant will be priced with either a lavender tag or will have the price written on the pot.

Featured Plant Groups:
The plant selection at the Extravaganza is constantly growing and changing. The largest and most diverse group is by far the Palms, of which there will be over 300 species available in various different sizes. A large amount of Crotons will also be on display as their demand has increased production to new levels...

Palms:

Aroids: - Bromeliads:

Butterfly Plants: - Cycads: - Crotons:

Cordylines: - Ferns: - Heliconias and Gingers: - Orchids:

Tropical Flowering Trees, Shrubs, & Vines:

Landscape Ornamentals: - Tropical Fruit Trees:

Rare and Hard-to-find Exotics:
and more: There is always a chance a new & exotic species of tropical plant will make its way into the sales area.

The Sale Flyer:
The nursery will soon mail out sale flyers to everyone on our mailing list. If you are on the mailing list and do not receive one, please let Jeff or myself know. In addition, if you would like to be placed on the mailing list for future Extravaganza flyers, please send a message to Jeff or myself with your address.

Ganza_flyer_F16.thumb.jpg.1bceeca76e8953

Plant Carts:
We do provide a limited amount of carts for customers to use, but it is recommended that you bring your own plant shopping conveyance. The carts do go quickly in the morning of each day, soon after the gates open and customers make their way to the sales area. During the day when they are returned from the holding area or from the parking lot, they are placed back on the concrete pad across from the register area.

DSC_0064.thumb.JPG.16c4d7478cd643b1327a6

Accommodations:
A comfortable Hampton Inn is located within a short driving distance of the nursery. It has been used by our customers, volunteers and family members in the past who travel a long way to reach the 'Ganza and who require a comfortable place to stay. The Hampton Inn Pembroke Pines/Ft. Lauderdale West is located at the intersection of I-75 and Sheridan Street. (see map above...) If you like to inquire about the hotel, follow the link below:

Hampton Inn Pembroke Pines - Fort Lauderdale West
Link: http://www.hamptoninnpembrokepines.com/

Previous Extravaganza:
For a look back at the previous 'Ganza that took place in March of this year, follow the link below. It has a selection of posts and photos highlighting the key moments of the sale. The topic may also showcase many of the plants that may be available in October, as the selection changes from season to season.

The 18th Annual Spring 'Ganza
Link: Spring '16 Ganza

Information and Invitation:
If you need any more details regarding plants, directions, or anything that I have not included above, feel free to contact the nursery, Jeff Searle or myself by the methods mentioned above. Feel free to post any messages, questions, etc. in this topic. Jeff Searle, I and all the family members and volunteers look forward to meeting everyone including new and familiar Palmtalk Forum members and IPS members at the upcoming Extravaganza. Be sure to find one of us and introduce yourself. You will be sure to find other Forum members at the event as well, possibly walking right past you down an aisle or grabbing for the same plant. The entire Searle family and the masses of volunteers will be waiting to help you find that perfect plant.

We hope to see you there!

Ryan

══════════════════════════════════

• Upvote 1

South Florida

1 hour ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I'll be in Miami the week of the 15th with plenty of free time, so I'll to stop by.

You're going to thank yourself for doing so.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

My chances to make it are on afternoon, Friday the 7th or possibly Oct. 9.  Main objective would be, of all things, a pair of indoor Chamaedorea, big enough to look good.  

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2016‎ ‎11‎:‎37‎:‎31‎, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I'll be in Miami the week of the 15th with plenty of free time, so I'll to stop by.

Nice to hear, please look for Ryan and myself and introduce yourself.

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Sale setup continues as I have both the Palm/Cycad and Croton lists as of today. I am processing them now and will post them over at Palmpedia when they are ready. The lists are quite large, even for a fall 'Ganza. Jeff and I were doing a visual setup today around the sales area, seeing where to fit in all the plants. Certain groups will be re-arranged a bit, but everything will have a spot somewhere in the sales area.

- A few photos within the shadehouse, showing some of the first groups of palms to get placed along the sidewalk. This one is from halfway down the east-half of the sidewalk.

DSC_0002.jpg

- By the sidewalk intersection, near the infamous white tent. This was part of the first load, with a lot more to go.

DSC_0003.jpg

- At the shadehouse entrance... The side areas await the arrival of their assorted plant groups.

DSC_0004.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- One of the first photo requests, and it isn't even for a sale plant. Here is the landscape planted and often talked about, Beccariophoenix alfredii located along the side road by the front of the main shadehouse.

DSC_0006.jpg

- It continues to grow more and more all the time, seemingly unscathed by anything that goes on around it. It is starting to overshadow the Azul, Coccothrinax macroglossa 'Azul' growing along side it.

DSC_0007.jpg

- Here is another shot with a 6 ft. (2m) ladder next to it for scale. The palm has easily reached the top of the 15 ft. (4.5m) shadehouse nearby.

DSC_0008.jpg

- It seems to be quite content to sit there and enlarge its crown and base diameter.

DSC_0009.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 2

South Florida

- Every time I see the palm it seems to be getting wider without wanting to gain vertical trunk. It is still fast growing so it doesn't seem to be in a hurry to get taller, just wider.

DSC_0010.jpg

- A sign holder provides scale for the trunk and leaf bases. The palm has started to produce small, very short, pedestal roots at the base. They resemble wet sawdust from a distance.

DSC_0013.jpg

- Most anything can make a handy scale device when needed. Leaf bases and leaf base fiber hold up my sunglasses as I get in close, looking for possible first ever inflorescence spathes poking out through the fiber (discovering them on palms before Jeff does is always fun). You can see my reflection in the lens. That fiber is rather stiff and coarse to the touch.

DSC_0015.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 3

South Florida

Room booked at the Hampton Fiday night the 7th.  Be there Saturday.  

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Thanks for the afredii pics! Weird how it keeps getting fatter without putting on vertical trunk. I wonder what age it'll finally start shedding those old boots and start growing vertically.

My fall break happens to coincide with the first week of the Searle Sale, so I'm going to try making it on Saturday. Hope to see everyone there!

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

22 hours ago, Palmarum said:

Sale setup continues as I have both the Palm/Cycad and Croton lists as of today. I am processing them now and will post them over at Palmpedia when they are ready. 

Do you think you could post them here or provide us with a link to the listing on Palmpedia?

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

20 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Do you think you could post them here or provide us with a link to the listing on Palmpedia?

I will post a link here to the topic/posts over at Palmpedia when the lists are posted. The Croton list will probably be first as it is faster to process. The Palm/Cycad list is long and has a lot of new names to be entered for the first time. I will try and get in the chatroom when I can, to answer questions.

Ryan

South Florida

26 minutes ago, Palmarum said:

I will post a link here to the topic/posts over at Palmpedia when the lists are posted. The Croton list will probably be first as it is faster to process. The Palm/Cycad list is long and has a lot of new names to be entered for the first time. I will try and get in the chatroom when I can, to answer questions.

Ryan

Awesome, I'm looking forward to reviewing the palm list. :)

I have the first draft of the Croton list ready for inspection by eager Croton fanatics and for anyone else interested in the plant group. It is currently holding at 157 cultivars but may expand over the next two weeks...

Link to 'Ganza topic on Palmpedia/Tropiscape:

http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/threads/the-18th-annual-fall-searle-extravaganza-●●●-october-7th-8th-9th-–-14th-15th-16th-2016-●●.5749/

Direct Link to post with Croton list: (which is the second post)

http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/threads/the-18th-annual-fall-searle-extravaganza-●●●-october-7th-8th-9th-–-14th-15th-16th-2016-●●.5749/#post-59296

Ryan

South Florida

I have the first draft of the Palm & Cycad list ready for inspection. It includes everything pulled (or scheduled to be pulled) to this point, including some corrections as of today. The list will more than likely increase in both species and sizes over the next two weeks leading up to the sale. There always seems to be some last minute additions, the law of plant sales in general. I will try and post them over at Palmpedia/Tropiscape when I find out about them and they will be part of the printed sale list presented at both shadehouse entrances and at the white tent. I would place the list at 90% complete, with about 348 species, varieties and hybrids spanning approximately 443 size groups.

Direct Link to first post with the Palm & Cycad list draft:

http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/threads/the-18th-annual-fall-searle-extravaganza-●●●-october-7th-8th-9th-–-14th-15th-16th-2016-●●.5749/#post-59307

I had to split the list up into two parts, as it was longer than the 10,000 character per post limit on Palmpedia/Tropiscape. The second part immediately follows the first part. I have added an uploaded (.pdf) version of the list to another post, after the one with the list.

Ryan

South Florida

Who all from the Tampa Bay area is going? I can't make it this time around, but I'm really interested in getting a Kentiopsis pyriformis and/or Syagrus amara in  a 1-7g size. If anyone is already planning on going and wants to bring one back I'll make it worth your while. Just send me a PM and we'll get the details squared away. :)

I just read your amazing list of palms! Nothing like these available in Puerto Rico. Your "extravaganza" is like visiting a botanical garden where everything is for sale and you can meet up with nice people too.

Have fun everybody!

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

The forecast for Miami-Dade is looking somewhat encouraging, Palm Beach County to Volusia County, not.  So I'm no-go for Friday, and we may be busy cleaning debris on Saturday.  

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

2 hours ago, rick said:

Is the nursery still going to be open on friday?

Grrrr... Matthew...

It is amazing how clear the weather was today while setting up for the sale, knowing that storm is out there. It was very hot and calm all day. Setup for the sale continues as usual, with special considerations for wind and heavy rain. Certain plant groups that would be located in rather exposed locations may not be pulled until next week, or further into the weekend. Many of the signs that would be placed outside the shadehouse may not be put out, as they may take to flight. This is the reason the Extravaganza spans two weekends, for situations like this.

As for Friday, it is still a question as to when or if the nursery will be open. As for now, we plan be to be open, but that may change over the next day or so. If it is a total washout, then maybe we won't be open. Jeff will make the decision as we get closer to Friday. It will be posted here, either by Jeff or myself. If you were planning to attend during the first weekend and want up to the minute info as to what is going on, you may contact Jeff at the number posted above.

Everything at the sale will go on as usual, just perhaps delayed a bit.

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

A bit of an update,

Depending on how fast the storm moves through will determine how the weather will be for Friday morning. The situation will be fluid (no pun intended) on when the sale opens. It will be an hour-by-hour judgement call, as Jeff lives not far from the nursery and will be able to make the decision on the spot. When the sale opens on Friday, it will be running on diminished capacity, as there could be fewer staff, fewer volunteers, and fewer plants pulled and placed on display. This will change throughout the day and into the weekend as things are brought back up to speed; continuing through and into next week and the second weekend.

I have received photo requests and other info requests on the sale, and I will try and get them done, but it might not be until the second week.

Ryan

• Upvote 2

South Florida

From the " horse's mouth"......

Today was a nice day, but the threat of Hurricane Matthew is and has become very real. A hurricane bearing down on you, family and friends, your business, is bad enough for all of us but this is becoming a double blow because it's hitting our area the same time as our Extravaganza Sale is set to begin. Ryan, myself and the staff has worked very hard getting the sale ready, and put together a great selection of palms to enjoy. Friday is expected to be the worst day and rains throughout the day is expected. We ( Searle family) will monitor the weather hour to hour and hope to open the gates when it's stops raining and the winds do not pose a threat. When will this happen? Nobody knows. Feel free to call me and I will let you know what's going on. Saturday and sunday are expected to be much nicer. Please bear with us, and many thanks for all of your support and hope to see you soon.

Jeff S.

• Upvote 2

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Good luck Jeff and team.  We hope to make it down.  

• Upvote 1

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Since several weeks I looked forward to your Extravangaza Sale - at the same time my credit card said: "gladly you're too far from there ! ".

Tonight I hope the hurricane will slow down and you all will be ok and safe.
All my wishes for a safe and less terrible day.

Take  care, love

Philippe

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

The nursery and surrounding areas were spared this afternoon from Hurricane Matthew and I couldn't be any happier that we plan to open tomorrow morning on schedule. It's been a hell of a roller coaster ride these last few days. Were expecting very little rain in the morning and even less of a chance as the day goes on. So let the show begin!!

• Upvote 3

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

On Thu Oct 06 2016 16:43:25 GMT-0700, Jeff Searle said:

The nursery and surrounding areas were spared this afternoon from Hurricane Matthew and I couldn't be any happier that we plan to open tomorrow morning on schedule. It's been a hell of a roller coaster ride these last few days. Were expecting very little rain in the morning and even less of a chance as the day goes on. So let the show begin!!

Great to hear Jeff. After what i'm sure has been a very stressful week, I hope the 'ganza is an especially enjoyable.. and successful event. 

So happy to hear this hurricane did not affect your sale Jeff. One of these days I'll make it back down there again to attend. I have great memories from those trips a few years back. 

I know the feeling Jason!

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

On 10/7/2016, 7:57:24, Cindy Adair said:

How did opening day go?

There were only 4 of us there at opening time which made browsing nice and casual. The weather was much better today so I'd imagine it was much busier. 

• Upvote 1

After the long awful stress you must have had before Matthew came close to you, I hope Palmarum will post wonderful pictures in the main forum and we'll enjoy the thread.

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

10 hours ago, doranakandawatta said:

... I hope Palmarum will post wonderful pictures in the main forum and we'll enjoy the thread.

What a weekend... Friday was extremely hectic so I wasn't able to take many photos, perhaps just a few. I took more on Saturday and Sunday as the second and third days were as normal as could be expected. Still rather busy, but without the threat of bad weather hanging over the sale.

Ryan

South Florida

And a big thank you to Ryan for scurring around getting last minute final details in place. And of course, our customers from PT here who showed up and bought some beautiful palms and plants. We really appreciate it!!!

Jeff

• Upvote 1

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Had an awesome second Friday today with customer turn out. Beautiful weather too. And were expecting a very nice crowd tomorrow, thanks again for all of your support!

Jeff

• Upvote 1

Southwest Ranches,Fl.