IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

San Diego garden update

Matt in SD

I was out in the garden with a camera and some extra time (cut my wrist washing dishes so can't surf for a bit) so decided to take a few photos to post.  I'll try to post groups of related palms.  This is the time of year when things look their best in our climate.

Some background info on our garden.  We have ~0.6 acres (24,000 square feet) about 1 mile inland, but are behind a large hill and on the edge of a canyon so we do get pretty cold (several nights of frost every year.  We moved to this house in Oct 2008, but spent the first 2-3 years working on grading and hardscaping so most plants have been in the ground 5-6 years or less.  Most plants were planted out of 3-5g pots.

Starting with Madagascar palms of course:

This is a special palm to me and should be to all Palmtalk members, Tahina spectabilis.  The discovery of this palm essentially happened live on Palmtalk in 2007 (pretty sure of the date, maybe someone can bump the old historic thread).

FJ4A5917_zpsj3hrafgh.jpg

FJ4A5918_zpsr9rknmye.jpg

• Upvote 13

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Dypsis leptocheilos x decaryi

FJ4A5941_zpsjhiyxcsj.jpg

FJ4A5943_zpsux2tcrgw.jpg

Beccariophoenix alfredii (from seed obtained in 2008)

FJ4A5945_zps4enve2ud.jpg

FJ4A5946_zps3hiqfdox.jpg

• Upvote 11

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

3 minutes ago, Matt in SD said:

I was out in the garden with a camera and some extra time (cut my wrist washing dishes so can't surf for a bit) so decided to take a few photos to post.  I'll try to post groups of related palms.  This is the time of year when things look their best in our climate.

Some background info on our garden.  We have ~0.6 acres (24,000 square feet) about 1 mile inland, but are behind a large hill and on the edge of a canyon so we do get pretty cold (several nights of frost every year.  We moved to this house in Oct 2008, but spent the first 2-3 years working on grading and hardscaping so most plants have been in the ground 5-6 years or less.  Most plants were planted out of 3-5g pots.

Starting with Madagascar palms of course:

This is a special palm to me and should be to all Palmtalk members, Tahina spectabilis.  The discovery of this palm essentially happened live on Palmtalk in 2007 (pretty sure of the date, maybe someone can bump the old historic thread).

FJ4A5917_zpsj3hrafgh.jpg

FJ4A5918_zpsr9rknmye.jpg:greenthumb:

This was a real eye catcher among your many fine specimens for sure! :greenthumb:

Carl

Vista, CA

Dypsis species, purchased as Dypsis basilonga from Floribunda (2 leaf seedling ~2007)

FJ4A5948_zpscvoubucd.jpg

FJ4A5950_zpsslrjb26a.jpg

FJ4A5949_zpsqdrlerqo.jpg

Dypsis onilahensis 'upright'

FJ4A5930_zps7wwrwnm0.jpg

FJ4A5940_zpscgpmzmda.jpg

• Upvote 8

San Diego

Dypsis lanceolata

FJ4A5938_zpsgz5d25ye.jpg

Ravenea sp. giant

FJ4A5928_zps4nlovrwf.jpg

FJ4A5929_zpsyfshqjhb.jpg

• Upvote 8

San Diego

Ravenea sp., purchased as albicans

FJ4A5913_zpspordgtkh.jpg

FJ4A5914_zpsgjlakd7j.jpg

Orania ravaka (can't believe this is surviving and actually growing.  3 years in the ground)

FJ4A5911_zpscbczgv7g.jpg

Dypsis robusta

FJ4A5901_zpswqkhzoz1.jpg

FJ4A5902_zpsmdlfyeoo.jpg

• Upvote 7

San Diego

Dypsis canaliculata

FJ4A5897_zpsybi6g4sh.jpg

FJ4A5895_zpshvu92zie.jpg

Dypsis prestoniana

FJ4A5893_zpsmjecgdx0.jpg

FJ4A5894_zpslfutaezn.jpg

• Upvote 6

San Diego

Dypsis oropedionis

FJ4A5891_zpsgtg4yj8r.jpg

FJ4A5892_zpsfocs85n9.jpg

Dypsis sp. (purchased as D malcomberi from JDA nursery...many years ago as a seedling)

FJ4A5882_zpseadvhbqv.jpg

• Upvote 8

San Diego

Plenty more to come later today/tonight...

San Diego

Matt,

Lots of great looking palms and your Tahina is spectacular. :greenthumb: Here's a link to the original Tahina thread, started by Bruno in early Dec. 2006. Of course we didn't know it was going to be named Tahina at that time - that took another year. Heck, we didn't even know that it was a new genus!

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/2299-borassus-or-corypha-in-madagascar/&page=1

And in the future maybe stay away from dangerous activities like washing dishes? :mrlooney:

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

9 minutes ago, bgl said:

Matt,

Lots of great looking palms and your Tahina is spectacular. :greenthumb: Here's a link to the original Tahina thread, started by Bruno in early Dec. 2006. Of course we didn't know it was going to be named Tahina at that time - that took another year. Heck, we didn't even know that it was a new genus!

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/2299-borassus-or-corypha-in-madagascar/&page=1

And in the future maybe stay away from dangerous activities like washing dishes? :mrlooney:

Bo-Göran

And this is the article published in 2008:

http://www.palms.org/palmsjournal/2008/v52n1p31-39.pdf

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Amazing!!! Which species of Pritchardia is in the left of this picture:

4 hours ago, Matt in SD said:

FJ4A5893_zpsmjecgdx0.jpg

Everything is super well grown. I love the B. alfredii! It's now at that coconut lookalike stage. 

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Pics not dead for anyone else?  I can't see them on my Mac or iPhone.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

FINALLY! Glad you posted an update Matt! you have so many well grown palms that are hard to see of any size in the 48 state area, its a treat. Your "D. malcomberi" and orepedionis in particular will serve as a marker of what many can hopefully look forward to in many years!

MORE! (please)

and loading fine here Ben..

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thanks for sharing!

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

Zeeth, the Pritchardia I believe is shataueri.  I collected 1 seed from a plant in front of the Hilo zoo, I keyed it out from memory as shattaueri, so maybe, maybe not.

A few more Madagascar plants...

Dypsis saintlucei

FJ4A5886_zpskvdilrtw.jpg

Dypsis sp.  purchased seed as 'anavakaka' from Ortanique in ~2008.  Looks like 'slick willy'/'bef' but isn't suckering and has been growing much faster for me.

FJ4A5888_zpscsgfyb9c.jpg

FJ4A5889_zpsoesep4zu.jpg

• Upvote 5

San Diego

Dypsis sp. 'big red', this is one of my favorites.  For those of you from tropical climates, it may just look like lastelliana, but lastelliana does NOT grow well here.  This one grows great here as you can see.

FJ4A5884_zpsjmkss1x9.jpg

FJ4A5885_zpspueflkad.jpg

And a smallish Dypsis mananjarensis that is ready to explode

FJ4A5936_zpsn9vsz98r.jpg

FJ4A5937_zpsbbapbjer.jpg

• Upvote 6

San Diego

More tomorrow...

• Upvote 2

San Diego

Great growing Matt :greenthumb: looks like the tons of deep rich soil I assume bought in  are paying off well :greenthumb:   Can you take a snap of Big Reds streaky spear, they are as you say a hardier Lastelliana indeed..    Pete

FJ4A5928_zps4nlovrwf.jpg

FJ4A5882_zpseadvhbqv.jpg

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Matt in SD said:

Zeeth, the Pritchardia I believe is shataueri.  I collected 1 seed from a plant in front of the Hilo zoo, I keyed it out from memory as shattaueri, so maybe, maybe not.

This one?

57cff3e3794d9_post-208-00124990013259787

• Upvote 2

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Fantastic collection of beauties there Matt! Keep up the good work.

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Thank you for sharing pics of you garden. Just beautiful. Keep up the good work Matt.

Mike Ricigliano

New Smyrna beach

Florida, zone 9 Beachside

Forgot to comment on the 'basilonga'...I agree it seems like mahajanga/madagascariensis, or something in that group.  I have true basilonga as well, it's in the background of a few pics.

OK, on with New Cal:

Kentiopsis oliviformis

FJ4A5926_zpsfa9jicfz.jpg

Kentiopsis piersoniorum

FJ4A5931_zpsiqn22vfg.jpg

Kentiopsis pyriformis

FJ4A5898_zpsz0nwvcht.jpg

FJ4A5899_zpsnuh8rwie.jpg

and magnifica

FJ4A5878_zpsd75fqrfy.jpg

• Upvote 4

San Diego

Cyphokentia (moratia) cerifera

FJ4A5879_zpsmlxrlkea.jpg

Cyphophoenix nucele

FJ4A5900_zpstddzynhl.jpg

• Upvote 3

San Diego

Bassenlinia pancheri

FJ4A5904_zps9b9iwc57.jpg

FJ4A5905_zpstclrx8sh.jpg

Basselinia gracilis sp. dwarf (from RPS seed)

FJ4A5908_zpsi6tsig5k.jpg

FJ4A5909_zps5y7mik0a.jpg

• Upvote 4

San Diego

Pritchardias:

P napaliensis

FJ4A5934_zpsjdr6nwra.jpg

FJ4A5935_zpszmijzawq.jpg

P gordonii

FJ4A5919_zps2ccvdxl7.jpg

P hardii

FJ4A5920_zpsi0zenfgb.jpg

• Upvote 2

San Diego

Pritchardia mitiaroana - Is anyone else growing this?  It's a south pacific species, but unlike others this one is actually doing well here.  Through two winters in the ground and growing fine.

FJ4A5876_zpshtcvx5qd.jpg

• Upvote 2

San Diego

:greenthumb: Cool Dypsis Collection :greenthumb:

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

3 hours ago, Zeeth said:

This one?

57cff3e3794d9_post-208-00124990013259787

That looks like the palm, but I thought it was on the other side of the entrance.

San Diego

Some odds and ends...

Lanonia dasyantha (this has only been in the ground a few months, but I did grow it from seed, so not totally cheating).  I have high hopes for this spot.  I tried a couple others in a spot that ended up being windier than I realized and they didn't like it at all.

FJ4A5903_zps6uydqz2m.jpg

Licuala fordiana

FJ4A5906_zpscsvqd8ug.jpg

Licuala peltata - when I planted this I forgot to put a dripper on it...realized about a year later, which is why the lower fronds are brown, and it perked up nicely.

FJ4A5907_zpsfzttafsc.jpg

• Upvote 4

San Diego

Veitchia metiti (?) - This was a freebie from JDA and I figured it wouldn't grow here, but it was a 1g so not much work to plant.  It's done really well.  Not really sure of the species.

FJ4A5933_zpskqe9lhaa.jpg

Latania lontaroides - very surprised how happy this palm seems to be

FJ4A5923_zpsetuqa9qu.jpg

FJ4A5922_zps7ekhskn7.jpg

FJ4A5925_zpsq1logy8x.jpg

• Upvote 5

San Diego