IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

San Diego garden update

Matt in SD

Acanthopheonix roussellii

FJ4A5915_zpstt41czlz.jpg

Cyphosperma tanga - this one is still deciding if it wants to really make an effort to grow here.  It's been in the ground 3 years and has grown some but is definitely not charging.

FJ4A5912_zpsmym80ttd.jpg

Heterospathe barfodii - another palm that inexplicably seems to grow OK in our climate

FJ4A5910_zpsxvnrxwtz.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Cyphophoenix hainanensis - I got this palm as a seedling in my first ever order from Floribunda about 13 years ago.  It was planted near some bamboo at my old house and wasn't growing much.  Definitely picking up speed after moving it to the new garden. 

FJ4A5875_zpszrcjtz8k.jpg

FJ4A5874_zpsq6horzgu.jpg

Parajubaea sunkha - not such an exotic palm, but it always looks great and gets no water other than runoff from when I rinse wetsuits in the front lawn after surfing.  We don't even water the front lawn anymore!

FJ4A5952_zps0whzz2ku.jpg

• Upvote 6

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

Those are all the photos I took.  Mostly focused on the more unusual plants, and of course the stuff that's looking particularly good right now.  I was pretty worried when we moved that I wouldn't be able to grow many palms at the new garden despite having 4 times as much room to plant.  Our first garden was in a very good microclimate, completely frost free (even through 2007 freeze event), and the new garden is consistently 5 degrees colder at night and in one of the colder areas of coastal San Diego.  But overall it seems like I can pretty much grow the same range plants.  It seems like as long as there is canopy, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference if your minimum night time lows are 40 or 32.  Cold is cold and as long as there is no frost on the plant it just suffers through it either way.  But I have noticed that it takes longer for plants to look good in the new garden.  Some have taken a few years to really settle in and start charging, something I dind't notice so much at the old place.  And if/when we get another real freeze event like 2007, I'm sure it will be a different story compared to the old garden.

Someone commented above about deep soil, probably brought in.  The garden has gradient of soil ranging from very heavy clay in some areas, to solid sandstone in some areas, with a mix of the two (which is great) in between.  In the lower part, my son found a fossilized sharktooth in the sandstons when we were getting ready to put the retaining wall in, so it was a seabed at some point.  I did bring in some soil that a neighbor had excavated to build a retaining wall, but that was mostly pulverized sandstone, nothing special.  We've brought in a LOT of compost (probably ~100 cubic yards at this point).  Also, I rented an excavator and drove it everywhere I could reach on the property digging as deep as it would go, just mixing and loosening the soil.  Along with quite a bit of grading and backfilling of retaining walls, there are a lot of areas with pretty nice soil now.  

Another hunch I've been sticking to is that if a plant does well in a certain area, I plant related plants near it and they tend to do well.  In the upper garden, the Dypsis go crazy.  But in the lower garden they won't grow, while Copernicia and Coccothrinax love it.  Probably soil pH and structure differences.  Sort of like a puzzle...there is always a palm that will like a certain spot, you just have to find it.

Matt

• Upvote 6

San Diego

1 hour ago, Matt in SD said:

Acanthopheonix roussellii

FJ4A5915_zpstt41czlz.jpg

Cyphosperma tanga - this one is still deciding if it wants to really make an effort to grow here.  It's been in the ground 3 years and has grown some but is definitely not charging.

FJ4A5912_zpsmym80ttd.jpg

Heterospathe barfodii - another palm that inexplicably seems to grow OK in our climate

FJ4A5910_zpsxvnrxwtz.jpg

Wow, everything looks great!  You have some things I didn't know would grow here, so are opening some interesting doors for people planting new gardens in the region!  It was hard to select one of your posts, as I enjoyed all the photos, but the one I selected contained two plants I didn't know would grow here.  Interesting about how some genus or plants from similar region, have performed better in your different soil types. I'm seeing the pulse again of mulching in your photos.  Keep up the good work, and don't hesitate to knock on the door when you are up visiting your friend down the street from me.  I'll take free advice in exchange for a tour every time!

Oh, and hopefully your sunkha will be getting a little more water soon from rinsing wetsuits!  Fall is right around the corner!  :D

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Thanks everyone.  Just noticed I typed "Cyphophoenix hainanensis" instead of Chuniophoenix hainanensis in post above...can't edit it.  

Tracy, definitely hoping to water the lawn more in coming months.  I'm not so sure the Cyphosperma tanga is really a grow here, but it is surviving.  The Heterospathe is definitely a good one, but it is quite slow here.  I have a small greenhouse/cold-frame and the best thing about it is that I can get experimental plants at small sizes or from seed (i.e. cheap), and grow/enjoy them for several years before planting out to see what happens.  You might think that losing a plant you've been growing for a long time would be worse than losing a new plant, but for me it's the opposite.  If I've had a plant for several years, then I feel like I've already gotten a lot of enjoyment out of it...at least I got my money's worth.  

Matt

• Upvote 3

San Diego

Hi Matt, I'm really glad to see this impressive update of your garden! I remember how surprised you were by the temperatures when you first moved there, but your palms are as impressive as ever. Brilliant collection, especially for Southern California.  You talk about canopy and cold -- what is working best for canopy?  

The Tahina looks great, and that's really a surprise, as they really thrive with heat. You have the magic touch for palms, for sure.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Hi Kim,

I remember you stopped by when it was just a pile of dirt.  I still have most of the bromeliads you brought.  I used bananas for some cover initially and have been thinning and removing them as things grow up.  I have a large Inga edulis (ice cream bean) that provides canopy for a lot of stuff, there are fruit trees scattered around that provide some protection, and palms are getting big enough now to make little pockets of protection.  A lot of areas don't have any canopy though.  In the lower garden things get damaged pretty consistently (especially Pritchardias...they damage as easy as bananas), but in the upper garden it's usually OK, or just some minor spotting.

The Tahina looks the best it's ever looked right now.  There is a ficus (some strange New Cal species I grew from seed) behind it that was shading it a bit and it seemed to yellow less than normal in the winter (but it's never as green in winter).  I'm hoping it's partly just that it's getting some size and getting tougher.  Can't wait to have 15 foot wide leaves!

Matt

• Upvote 1

San Diego

7 hours ago, Matt in SD said:

Someone commented above about deep soil, probably brought in.  The garden has gradient of soil ranging from very heavy clay in some areas, to solid sandstone in some areas, with a mix of the two (which is great) in between.  In the lower part, my son found a fossilized sharktooth in the sandstons when we were getting ready to put the retaining wall in, so it was a seabed at some point.  I did bring in some soil that a neighbor had excavated to build a retaining wall, but that was mostly pulverized sandstone, nothing special.  We've brought in a LOT of compost (probably ~100 cubic yards at this point).  Also, I rented an excavator and drove it everywhere I could reach on the property digging as deep as it would go, just mixing and loosening the soil.  Along with quite a bit of grading and backfilling of retaining walls, there are a lot of areas with pretty nice soil now.  

Great updates Matt , it was I that mentioned above  and  100  cubic yards of compost  would be helping "Immensely" , your Tanga looks V healthy and on its way, it will keep on powering on, is that a Hovomantsina in the distance behind it in front of the Royal ?   Love all the New cal Palms, Keep up the "Keenness"    Pete.

Good eye Pete.  Yes that's a hovomantsina in the background of the tanga shot.  I got that palm as a 1g size plant 8-10 years ago.  It has maybe tripled in size in that time.  As I'm sure you've witnessed the big Dypsis seem to creep for some unspecified amount of time that can vary from individual to individual and then suddenly just start putting leaves out that are 2X as big as the previous and just take off.  I'm seeing some signs that the hovo is thinking about actually growing, but nothing definite yet.

Matt

San Diego

Matt,

awesome picture tutorial l brother! I've been to your garden at least 4 times now and it's always exciting to see you palms.

great pictures!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

6 hours ago, Matt in SD said:

Good eye Pete.  Yes that's a hovomantsina in the background of the tanga shot.  I got that palm as a 1g size plant 8-10 years ago.  It has maybe tripled in size in that time.  As I'm sure you've witnessed the big Dypsis seem to creep for some unspecified amount of time that can vary from individual to individual and then suddenly just start putting leaves out that are 2X as big as the previous and just take off.  I'm seeing some signs that the hovo is thinking about actually growing, but nothing definite yet.

Matt

Matt with your keenness and "Deep" composted soil Dictyocaryum should be s goer for you in the "right" spot...Certainly worth a Trial..  Pete

Great pictures & commentary Matt. I still can't figure out your Dypsis growth rate at the top of your hill; it defies physics. Kind'a like the studies that say bumblebees shouldn't be able to fly.  But just great growth on everything. Love the sp. giant!

• Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Rad

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

• 1 year later...

Ready to update @Matt in SD?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!