IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Are there any Nepenthes experts here?

Steve Mac

I bought a Nep, it said 'a cold tolerant hybrid,' would it be possible to guess its probable parents from an immature pitcher?

I am wanting to know more exactly the night and daytime temps that it would prefer.

It is just starting to get more pitchers again now that it is spring here.

P9060001.thumb.JPG.f4fa7aba5cf3caff8627eP9060004.thumb.JPG.665a2480e2301627165d4

P9060005.thumb.JPG.abe3893badce302ba3303

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

From what I can see from the pitcher is appears to be either pure ventricosa or a hybrid with ventricosa as one of the parents. Did you keep it in a greenhouse over winter or has it stayed outside? Most pitcher plants are classed as highland which means they can take quite cold nights. Up here in Brisbane all mine live outside and only a lowland hybrid shows any sign of cold damage. They do start pitchering more spring with the increased amount of light. Post some more pics when the pitchers open up.

Regards Neil

Thanks Neil, I bring it in at night or if it is cold and windy but, put it out in the morning and it gets quite a lot of sun.

I will reduce that as it gets hotter. I mist it a couple of times a day.

I gave my daughter one the same, she lives around the corner and she leaves it outside all of the time.

But it gets less direct sun, It seems healthy but it is not getting pitchers yet. 

looks like mine is a male, I will update as it develops.

Cheers Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Neil, have a look at these.

The first pitcher to form has a very small lid, is this common?

The second one seems ok to me, (but I wouldn't know.)

Oh, I cut that flower off too, I was told that is the best thing to do unless you want to breed with it.

Nep.thumb.JPG.3f9d56ae3c2ee73b0b3ede47c4

Cheers Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Look at the growth rate of that second pitcher. I just 2 weeks.

What else could it be with ventricosa?

PA030001.thumb.JPG.0443d42925f2643aca019

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

Looks like your newest pitcher will have a full lid as well. They do sometime have small/weird lids but these are usually one offs. Pure ventricosa pitchers usually have more of a waist (narrowing in the middle) than yours exhibits so it does appear to be a hybrid but with what I'm afraid I don't know. If ventricosa is crossed with another species without any outstanding features then the resulting offspring can often look very like ventricosa. It could even be a complex cross where a hybrid is crossed with a species or even another hybrid and then things get really confusing. Ventricosa has been used for probably more hybrids than any other species as it is relatively common and hardy. Do a google search for "Carnivorous plant photo finder" and have a look at all the photos of Nepenthes and hybrids. Quite an amazing resources!! I post a few of mine soon.

Regards Neil

Really nice!

I have killed two Nepenthes that I tied to trees and abandoned them. So this time I have just hung the basket in a tree to see how that goes after keeping it alive (doing nothing to it) in a shade house here for a year. 

I would prefer it to live without a pot if possible.

Any suggestions or do I just pretend it is an orchid except maybe actually water it on the very rare weeks there is no rain? Thanks!

Cindy Adair

23 minutes ago, Cindy Adair said:

Really nice!

I have killed two Nepenthes that I tied to trees and abandoned them. So this time I have just hung the basket in a tree to see how that goes after keeping it alive (doing nothing to it) in a shade house here for a year. 

Any suggestions or do I just pretend it is an orchid except maybe actually water it on the very rare weeks there is no rain? Thanks!

Cindy, I feel the same. I have tried to find info on how to grow Nepenthes in the landscape to no avail. I want a minimum of plants in pots and those that are in pots will eventually be in a landscape somewhere.

Surprisingly we do have a few Nepenthes available commercially here in Guatemala.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

23 hours ago, Neil C said:

Do a google search for "Carnivorous plant photo finder" and have a look at all the photos of Nepenthes and hybrids.

Thanks will do.

9 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

yep us too, but since we just usually fill up the saucer once or twice a week with tap water, (it is soft in Sydney) and it looks so tropical and so cool, it can be the exception that lives in the house, because it is so light and easy to move around if we want to. It is less of a problem than some palms that are in the garden.

Cheers Steve

On 10/5/2016, 11:25:02, Cindy Adair said:

Any suggestions

Cindy, I have seen pics of them growing on or from the ground, where the ground is continually damp,

if you could find a spot like that then you could abandon it like a red headed child. :P

Cheers Steve

Lots of continually damp areas here so I will give it a try soon. Thanks!

I did see some in Borneo in trees, but have no idea what species. When I get to posting those photos in my Travel Log of the IPS pretour (or was it more on the Biennial portion?) I will pay closer attention to how the nepenthes were growing.

Cindy Adair

Nepenthes tend to inhabit areas where the soil is poor in nutrients which is why they use prey to provided the missing goodies. If you plant a Nepenthes in normal soil it will perish fairly rapidly. I have seen posts where growers have put the plants pot in the ground and then let them grow up a tree. I'm not sure how long term this would be as eventually I'd imagine normal soil will get into the pot. Another option might be to hide the hanging pot somewhere in a tree or remove the plant and soil and place it in a natural "cup" in a tree. This would only really work if you lived in an area with frequent rain and high humidity.

Regards Neil

Because of the growth rate of these things, I find them so satisfying. From nothing to this big pitcher in about 1 month.

PA120001.thumb.JPG.e9f88379b57cd04127c0c

Cheers Steve

• 1 month later...

And look now just about a month later again.

It lives outside now we just give it a spray with the vegetables.

PB200002.thumb.JPG.06f19e2b1608cc19b25b0

PB200001.thumb.JPG.2296cedc08dd15e003e02

PB200003.thumb.JPG.0a39157d5f82c5e7280ab

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

• 3 months later...

Now 3 months later there are a dozen pots and they are full of bugs.

This plant is so satisfying to grow, so fast and easy,

if you have a climate that will accommodate it, I would highly recommend  it.

Ours is outside for 9 months and hanging in the bathroom for 3.

It could stay inside all year if we wanted, the inside grown pots were bigger.

And it may even survive outside all year I just haven't been game to try that yet.

Some pots are short because I cut the top off them as they start to die back.

20170223_120058.thumb.jpg.8fefb02898224b

Cheers Steve

• 5 months later...

Update, we are still very happy with this plant, it has just come through winter still producing pitchers, probably because we bring it in at night.

It is starting to get too big with over a dozen pitchers, so will cut it back and strike some more smallers ones to give away.

If we cut the long shoot into three or four pieces, are they all likely to grow?

We have been really surprised how many bugs it does actually eat when it is outside.

Cindy, did you have any luck with yours?

20170730_120610.thumb.jpg.a09e0d18f5a1d3

Cheers Steve