IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabinaria magnifica

Jim in Los Altos

With correct spelling, I humbly restart this thread. This is my Sabiaria magnifica that I have had the last seven months on my front porch. It was a one leaf liner that I planted in a one gallon container. It has shed its original leaf and large seed and produced two new leaves. 

If anyone else is growing this, please post pics!

image.thumb.jpeg.ea1be76d09c59741a86bacd

• Upvote 9

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

been toying with the idea for a while. I still have not pulled trigger on this palm yet from JM. maybe I'll grab one and throw it in the green house for a couple seasons then plant it out some day?

looks like they seem to have a steady growth rate so far for Cali standards:greenthumb:

do you plan on bringing it inside during the winter or rolling the dice keeping it out side at that age?

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I will bring the palm inside when it's chilly during the winter months and bring it outside whenever it's mild that time of year. I want to be careful with it until it attains more size. Nothing is known yet about cold/cool hardiness for this species. 

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Hubba hubba.  I really hope it does well for you Jim. That palm in Cali would be amazing. 

Maybe I will pick one up or two just for fun and see how they do.

... (thinks to self) maybe in late winter or early Spring.  See how the Bottle Palm fairs in the favored spot in the yard first.

• Upvote 1

And here is the story of my très magnifique baby. I received it from Kai on 2016-06-20 in a deep 15x20cm pot (pic #1). 20 days later I decided to repot the seedling in a small 12x12cm pot changing also the soil mix (pics #2 to #5).

57ce8d885836f_01Sabinaria2016-06-20P1010

#2-#5

57ce8d8f1aaa5_02SabinariaIMG_8808.thumb.

57ce8d9426147_03SabinariaIMG_8812.thumb.

57ce8d99cf79d_04SabinariaP1020109.thumb.

57ce8d9d9ee65_05SabinariaP1020114.thumb.

• Upvote 6

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Pal Meir,

This is a good size for traveling to Srilankan jungle. Welcome!

• Upvote 2

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

7 hours ago, doranakandawatta said:

Pal Meir,

This is a good size for traveling to Srilankan jungle. Welcome!

Oh, I’m sooo sorry, just at this moment the tip of the 3rd leaf became visible so that it is now with its three leaves too big for air transport to  Sri Lanka … :(

57d010287df18_08N15112016-09-07IMG_9017.

:P

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

It was not a joke or a fake, the 3rd leaf is actually emerging: :)

57d14128073ca_N15112016-09-08IMG_9019.th

Don't worry, we can cut it if it's too big for my luggage.:P

• Upvote 2

Philippe

I have three in the ground, all with 2-3 leaves, looking more or less like everyone's above.  I may have put them in the ground too soon, but being an absentee owner for much of the year, I figured they were safer in the ground than in pots.  They have been in the ground for 6 months now, and the leaves are still deep green, so fingers crossed that everything will be alright.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Here is my precious baby fresh out of the box from Floribunda! :wub: I've had it less than a week! Friday will be a week. I plan to grow it in my lanai for as long as I can. Looking forward to discovering other people's experiences with growing theirs.

sm.JPG

• Upvote 8

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

7 minutes ago, Missi said:

Here is my precious baby fresh out of the box from Floribunda! :wub: I've had it less than a week! Friday will be a week. I plan to grow it in my lanai for as long as I can. Looking forward to discovering other people's experiences with growing theirs.

sm.JPG

it really looks like a Christmas gift, thank you, thank you!

• Upvote 1

Philippe

4 minutes ago, doranakandawatta said:

it really looks like a Christmas gift, thank you, thank you!

Yes, It looks just like a Christmas gift to me and only me! :floor:

However, I promise to share with YOU gifts of update pics! ;):P

1 hour ago, Missi said:

sm.JPG

Oh, very nice! What is the size of the pot? Is it a »normal« black plastic pot? But why did you wrap it in silver paper? (—> mould !!!)

HERE IS AN EXCELLENT ARTICLE ABOUT THIS BEAUTIFUL PALM

http://www.academia.edu/11569843/The_discovery_of_the_amazing_Sabinaria_magnifica

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

14 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Oh, very nice! What is the size of the pot? Is it a »normal« black plastic pot? But why did you wrap it in silver paper? (—> mould !!!)

This pic was taken right after I took it out of the box it was shipped in. Foil was to hold in moisture and potting media in its travels. It's a green 4" pot.

23 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Cool article.  It was nice to see the surrounding plants.  Based on those, I *think* I planted my three in some good spots.  Fingers crossed.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

I think it's safe to say that the future of the species is secure if they're being grown in Hawaii!

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I have two and they look just like all the previously posted ones. Gotten from Jeff Marcus. Of course they looked very healthy when they arrived. Have transplanted one into a roughly 2-3 gallon odd sized deep black pot, and it didn't skip a beat. Really excited to have these and to watch them grow. 

Good Luck with them everyone,

• Upvote 1

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2016‎ ‎4‎:‎32‎:‎28‎, colin Peters said:

I have two and they look just like all the previously posted ones. Gotten from Jeff Marcus. Of course they looked very healthy when they arrived. Have transplanted one into a roughly 2-3 gallon odd sized deep black pot, and it didn't skip a beat. Really excited to have these and to watch them grow. 

Good Luck with them everyone,

Was yours in a 4" when you got it? Is it okay to pot them up so much larger? Thanks for any tips!

, IMG_2799.thumb.jpg.cc78b332949889b6f0952

Missi, miine was in a very deep, maybe 8-10 inch, 4 inch pot. I took a chance bumping it up so much, but figured it needed a deep pot, and now it will hopefully grow for a while in it.

Also it did about 60% black cinder and 40% good potting mix. So it would stay moist, but not wet, and drain real well. It has opened up its third leaf since repotting, so is happy.

aloha

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, colin Peters said:

Missi, miine was in a very deep, maybe 8-10 inch, 4 inch pot. I took a chance bumping it up so much, but figured it needed a deep pot, and now it will hopefully grow for a while in it.

Also it did about 60% black cinder and 40% good potting mix. So it would stay moist, but not wet, and drain real well. It has opened up its third leaf since repotting, so is happy.

aloha

it looks very happy Colin

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

14 hours ago, colin Peters said:

aloha

Lucky you, yours has three leaves already. It's off to a great start.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, cassowaryhill said:

@Jim in Los Altos how is yours going ????????????????

Shane, its fourth leaf became visible a few days ago. I'm keeping it in its 1 gallon container until it's nearly root bound. I can't wait to see how it does this summer.

• Upvote 1

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

1 hour ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Shane, its fourth leaf became visible a few days ago. I'm keeping it in its 1 gallon container until it's nearly root bound. I can't wait to see how it does this summer.

It would be so nice to see pictures of the visible fourth leaf :D

Thanks

Philippe

14 hours ago, cassowaryhill said:

So it's done and gone through a unprotected winter? 

It has sort of, Shane. These are rare and expensive plants and I'm paying more attention to its wellbeing more than usual. I bring it in when temperatures are below middle 40s F and put it in full winter sun during the day. At least when there's sun. It's been so rainy this winter that I'm almost forgetting what sunshine looks like. It's raining now but I think my Saninaria enjoys it even though it's a chilly rain. It will come inside less often as it gets bigger over time.

• Upvote 2

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

56 minutes ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

It has sort of, Shane. These are rare and expensive plants and I'm paying more attention to its wellbeing more than usual. I bring it in when temperatures are below middle 40s F and put it in full winter sun during the day. At least when there's sun. It's been so rainy this winter that I'm almost forgetting what sunshine looks like. It's raining now but I think my Saninaria enjoys it even though it's a chilly rain. It will come inside less often as it gets bigger over time.

I get that. I did that with my Ptychosperma elegans till I had a greenhouse for them.