IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Over Planting Palms & Landscape Disasters - Post Pics!

HurryUp&Grow

What does over planting look like? Is there such a thing?

I'm fortunate to have 1/4 acre of land, but it isn't much. My appetite for palm collecting and fruit trees greatly exceeds the space to plant them. I'm trying to create a private and tropical back yard in the middle of a sub division, but I'm concerned about spacing, especially with palms and trees that can potentially be 100ft tall. 

I've got three Corypha planted in a triangular-shaped lot...and I need want more.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, HurryUp&Grow said:

I'm fortunate to have 1/4 acre of land, but it isn't much. My appetite for palm collecting and fruit trees greatly exceeds the space to plant them. I'm trying to create a private and tropical back yard in the middle of a sub division, but I'm concerned about spacing, especially with palms and trees that can potentially be 100ft tall. 

I've got three Corypha planted in a triangular-shaped lot...and I need want more.

Oh you are going to enjoy the responses to this thread!

Just for fun search the term Valez on this site.  :)

A friend of mine in San Diego sent me this photo a few months ago - maybe a fellow member??  :D  Tough to deal with such a small lot...

rsz_1img_4646.jpg

• Upvote 8

Jon Sunder

10 hours ago, Hammer said:

Oh you are going to enjoy the responses to this thread!

Just for fun search the term Valez on this site.  :)

Velez . . .

And, I concur

whoo-ee

And, I guess I'm a near-Velezian myself.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here's a picture taken from my rooftop.

278.thumb.JPG.78d483afeaf775c544d289c6e9

• Upvote 6

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

11 hours ago, HurryUp&Grow said:

How about some pictures of what you have now?

Where in the United States are you?

South Florida?

Hawaii?

You'd be surprised at how much fun Velez-cizing can be.

Another rooftop shot

280.thumb.JPG.bc6e0e3d3ec60df68b86854c8c

• Upvote 5

293.thumb.JPG.a2ee38a6feaa6c83dd25b14bf6

• Upvote 5

292.thumb.JPG.ac4ae19d345a22572d9aeb5240

• Upvote 5

Come visit the Land of Overplanting . . .

For inspiration.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Fusca said:

A friend of mine in San Diego sent me this photo a few months ago - maybe a fellow member??  :D  Tough to deal with such a small lot...

rsz_1img_4646.jpg

Must be OK since it's on Normal Ave according to the street sign.:D

Cheers, Barrie.

• Upvote 6

Gladly in US, you are informed if you're doing a normal planting or not :D lucky you!

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

I totally over planted my garden. A local palm guru in my area gave me some good advice, he said design by subtraction. You'll get faster growth with everything in the ground than in pots and once things are established and taking off, you can choose what to remove. It's worked pretty well so far. 

• Upvote 5

49 minutes ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

Must be OK since it's on Normal Ave according to the street sign.:D

Cheers, Barrie.

It's normal on Normal Ave, but I defy you to find a Maple tree in that yard!  LOL  I think there is a house in the photo somewhere also ...

• Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

2 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Come visit the Land of Overplanting . . .

For inspiration.

Nice yard Dave - maybe my future Brahea seedlings will help fill out mine...:greenthumb:

Jon Sunder

7 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Velez . . .

And, I concur

whoo-ee

And, I guess I'm a near-Velezian myself.

Sorry for the mispelling Ralph!

Since someone asked, here's what I'm working with so far and I've got a bit more to go. I want to completely block out my neighbor's house, but want to keep some of the skyline semi-open for the stunning sunsets we get. 

Backyard only:

• 4 Arecas
  • 1 Coconut Palm
  • 1 Clerodenrum Tree
  • 1 Michelia Alba Tree
  • 2 Inga Edulis - Ice Cream Bean Tree
  • 2 Borneo Giants Alocasias
  • 1 Lady Palm (planted, 3 more in large pots)
  • 1 Varigated Lady Palm
  • 3 Corypha Palms
  • 3 Christmas Palms
  • 1 Atemoya Tree
  • 1 Soursop Tree
  • 2 Barbados Cherry Trees
  • 1 Spanish Lime Tree
  • 1 Meyer Lemon Tree
  • 1 Jackfruit Tree
  • Bananas in 4'x4' raised bed
  • 6? Licuala Spinosa
  • 1 Mystery Palm I can't identify (very young)

And Bamboo across southern fence line

20160606_131642.jpg

20160619_122038.jpg

20160730_161959.jpg

20160730_162039.jpg

20160803_191333.jpg

20160803_191839.jpg

20160803_191903.jpg

20160803_191935.jpg

20160818_183832.jpg

20160818_183908.jpg

Edited by HurryUp&Grow
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, HurryUp&Grow said:

I've got a bit more to go

Look at all the empty space you have! You still have the lawn, and you can even see soil. Your velez-o-meter is pretty low at this point. :lol:

I'm tempted to make  another   mockup...  lol

• Upvote 1

Tom:

Rip out that pool, and: (a) you won't have to worry about people falling in it and getting brain-damaged; and (b) you'll have more room for palms.

• Upvote 4

53 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Tom:

Rip out that pool, and: (a) you won't have to worry about people falling in it and getting brain-damaged; and (b) you'll have more room for palms.

No way man. The pool perfectly compliments this sweet american flag speedo I got. One look at these bad boys from that 2nd floor window should be all it takes to get them to board it up.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, HurryUp&Grow said:

Since someone asked, here's what I'm working with so far and I've got a bit more to go. I want to completely block out my neighbor's house, but want to keep some of the skyline semi-open for the stunning sunsets we get. 

Backyard only:

• 4 Arecas
  • 1 Coconut Palm
  • 1 Clerodenrum Tree
  • 1 Michelia Alba Tree
  • 2 Inga Edulis - Ice Cream Bean Tree
  • 2 Borneo Giants Alocasias
  • 1 Lady Palm (planted, 3 more in large pots)
  • 1 Varigated Lady Palm
  • 3 Corypha Palms
  • 3 Christmas Palms
  • 1 Atemoya Tree
  • 1 Soursop Tree
  • 2 Barbados Cherry Trees
  • 1 Spanish Lime Tree
  • 1 Meyer Lemon Tree
  • 1 Jackfruit Tree
  • Bananas in 4'x4' raised bed
  • 6? Licuala Spinosa
  • 1 Mystery Palm I can't identify (very young)

And Bamboo across southern fence line

20160606_131642.jpg

20160619_122038.jpg

20160730_161959.jpg

20160730_162039.jpg

20160803_191333.jpg

20160803_191839.jpg

20160803_191903.jpg

20160803_191935.jpg

20160818_183832.jpg

20160818_183908.jpg

I know this is a palm forum, but I love Elephant Ears as well! They look beautiful along with the palms!

• Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

15 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

I know this is a palm forum, but I love Elephant Ears as well! They look beautiful along with the palms!

Thanks! I'm in love with Borneo Giants. I've tried a few different varieties and these have withstood strong wind with minimal leaf damage compared to all of the other varities I've tried.

17 hours ago, Pando said:

Look at all the empty space you have! You still have the lawn, and you can even see soil. Your velez-o-meter is pretty low at this point. :lol:

I'm tempted to make  another   mockup...  lol

I do have about maybe a 20 x 8 ft area of unused space to block the neighbor's house. My concern was more about the stuff I've already planted. The Michelia and Inga Edulis are going to get big. 

20160831_185238.jpg

20160831_185412.jpg

20160831_185355.jpg

20160831_185247.jpg

Normal Ave. was photo'd by Google Street View April and July 2015.  I think the Bismarckia has been growing amazingly fast since then.  The Caryotas are keeping up.  Some potential for opening up the understory.  

My yard's  overplanted.  A thriving Coccothrinax looks headed for collision with a laurel oak canopy and it's too close to the Dypsis carlsmithii.  A plain 'ol Rhapis excelsa probably should be rooted out, making space for the spectacular Zamia variegata (cycad, of course) and Rhapis laosensis, which isn't quite tall enough to hide the neighbor's chain link fence.  A few Chamaedorea metallica are hiding, scattered in deep shade.  I need to remove some more Heliconias to further unbury one of the Lytocaryum weddellianums.  Removal of a big but not quite healthy Archontophoenix cunninghamiana was a good idea.  It provides room for future expansion of an Acoelorrhaphe clump that's flowering at age 13 and makes space for a booming baby Kentiopsis oliviformis, my candidate to look like a coconut without the annoying nuts and high risk of dying young.  

• Upvote 1

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

A few snips with the long-handled pruner and Lytocaryum (Syagrus) will be free.  A month ago, it was really buried.  

Funny how Dypsis carlsmithii's leaves are just about as tall as Coccothrinax (hybrid, I'm pretty certain), stem and all.  Coccothrinax, meet oak canopy.  

Need I mention that it's been raining, and I can't work in the yard because of a foot infection?  

The orange-red flower in front of the big pot in front of the Dypsis is a bromeliad, Billbergia pyramidalis, an old-fashioned hand-me-down yard plant in our area.  "Hurricane lily" because they tend to flower at hurricane season.  They all seem to be a single clone, and all operate on the same flowering cues, all flowering at once.  

Lytocaryum_weddellianum_and_heliconias_(1_of_1).jpg

Dypsis_carlsmithii_and_Coccothrinax_(1_of_1).jpg

Edited by Dave-Vero
Add some information.
  • Upvote 1

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us