IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

IMPORTANT MEETING IN SAN DIEGO - RHYNCHOPHORUS PALMARUM - SOUTH AMERICAN BLACK PALM WEEVIL

Cristóbal

Looks like the department of Ag is also monitoring this. I found this other place you could report to. It seems like their goal is to destroy infested palms before the insects can spread. 

"In addition to Canary Island date palms, the South American palm weevil is also known to attack coconut palms, date palms, and the king sago palm in the cycad family.It is believed that the spread of this pest can be delayed with the fast detection and removal of infested trees. Chipping (Figure 4), burning, and burying infested material deeply can reduce the likelihood that SAPW will emerge and escape from infested palms.  To report a palm displaying SAPW symptoms in San Diego County, please call the County Department of Agriculture, Weights & Measures Insect/Bee Hotline at 1–800–200–2337. If the affected palm tree is in another county, please contact your local agricultural commissioner's office.

-Jennifer Pelham, UCCE Area Environmental
Horticulture Advisor UCCE San Diego & Orange counties,
jlpelham@ucanr.edu;

-Tracy Ellis, Agricultural Entomologist, County of San Diego, Tracy.Ellis@sdcounty.ca.gov"

"A range expasion 6 miles to the north..." (see more below)

Here's the response from the entomologist: 

"Good Afternoon,

Our State Entomologist in Sacramento sent me the following information in response to the picture you submitted:

"I concur with the resident that these images do appear to show palm weevil cocoon cases and tree damage.  If confirmed as South American Palm Weevil this would represent an range expansion of approximately 6 miles to the north for the area it is known to be breeding.  It will be necessary to obtain specimens if we want to confirm the presence of the palm weevil and possibly red ring nematode, both federal action pests.  If we have palm weevil funding I recommend that we trap or survey the area and/or refer this to San Diego county".

Your information will be given to the CDFA office that is in charge of your area for this pest. An inspector will then contact you to possibly get directions from you in regards to the sighting that you have found and the larvae that you collected.

Thank you very much for your submission to California Department of Food & Agriculture Exotic Pest Hotline, we appreciate your assistance in protecting California agriculture."

Best Regards

Jasmin

Exotic Pest Hotline - Agent ID#910101

California Department of Food & Agriculture

Pest Detection/Emergency Projects

800-491-1899 Hotline

• Upvote 3

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

3 minutes ago, MattyB said:

"A range expasion 6 miles to the north..." (see more below)

Here's the response from the entomologist: 

"Good Afternoon,

Our State Entomologist in Sacramento sent me the following information in response to the picture you submitted:

"I concur with the resident that these images do appear to show palm weevil cocoon cases and tree damage.  If confirmed as South American Palm Weevil this would represent an range expansion of approximately 6 miles to the north for the area it is known to be breeding.  It will be necessary to obtain specimens if we want to confirm the presence of the palm weevil and possibly red ring nematode, both federal action pests.  If we have palm weevil funding I recommend that we trap or survey the area and/or refer this to San Diego county".

Your information will be given to the CDFA office that is in charge of your area for this pest. An inspector will then contact you to possibly get directions from you in regards to the sighting that you have found and the larvae that you collected.

Thank you very much for your submission to California Department of Food & Agriculture Exotic Pest Hotline, we appreciate your assistance in protecting California agriculture."

Best Regards

Jasmin

Exotic Pest Hotline - Agent ID#910101

California Department of Food & Agriculture

Pest Detection/Emergency Projects

800-491-1899 Hotline

wow! they are on this like a fly on stank!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Glad you sent the pics into the CDFA Matty!  Definitely not good news to start out the new year.  Would be a huge loss for SD and presumably all of Southern California if these weevils spread and take down all of the CIDPs.  

• 3 weeks later...

Two weeks later and no one has contacted me regarding the two infested palms I found in my neighborhood.  This palm pictured below has completely collapsed now and fronds are starting to fall.  Found this large hole in the petiole.  No traps in the neighborhood.  Infested trees still standing.  Why aren't they chopping these things down immediately or pouring poison down the crown?  I'm afraid that the government moves too slow to have any hope to contain this pest.  What a shame.

IMG_2070.JPG

IMG_2071.JPG

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

That's a shame and it worries me too. I can't remember which video, but one of the videos somewhat explains how to make a trap and where to get or where to order the pheromones needed to make one. It almost might be worth starting a go fund me to make traps!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

5 hours ago, MattyB said:

Two weeks later and no one has contacted me regarding the two infested palms I found in my neighborhood.  This palm pictured below has completely collapsed now and fronds are starting to fall.  Found this large hole in the petiole.  No traps in the neighborhood.  Infested trees still standing.  Why aren't they chopping these things down immediately or pouring poison down the crown?  I'm afraid that the government moves too slow to have any hope to contain this pest.  What a shame.

IMG_2070.JPG

IMG_2071.JPG

Yikes.  Not good.  Call 'em again.  Squeeky wheel.

I did report it again.  Nothing.  Bill, I think the traps are just to catch a few to get data, it's not a trap like a rat trap where it's helping to eradicate them.

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

2 minutes ago, MattyB said:

I did report it again.  Nothing.  Bill, I think the traps are just to catch a few to get data, it's not a trap like a rat trap where it's helping to eradicate them.

Spit balling...

Would putting out traps with pheromones be a net negative? Meaning is it possible that traps could draw more, faster to an area and spread the pest?

• Upvote 1

On that note, Right before crossing into TJ today via San Ysidro/El Chaparral Port of entry. I saw a CIDP (I saw several), but it seemed that particular one presents the same symptoms.  I took three pictures while we were waiting in line to cross. Bear in mind it was pouring, so I took the pictures with the windows up. 

It's on that final corridor approach before arriving at the point of entry. The Palm is on the Mexican side.

I hope Cristóbal sees this post. Because I do not know who the contact is in Mexico to report this palm.

20170123_153809.jpg

20170123_153811(0).jpg

20170123_153811.jpg

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

On 1/5/2017, 1:53:03, Jdiaz31089 said:

Looks like the department of Ag is also monitoring this. I found this other place you could report to. It seems like their goal is to destroy infested palms before the insects can spread. 

"In addition to Canary Island date palms, the South American palm weevil is also known to attack coconut palms, date palms, and the king sago palm in the cycad family.It is believed that the spread of this pest can be delayed with the fast detection and removal of infested trees. Chipping (Figure 4), burning, and burying infested material deeply can reduce the likelihood that SAPW will emerge and escape from infested palms.  To report a palm displaying SAPW symptoms in San Diego County, please call the County Department of Agriculture, Weights & Measures Insect/Bee Hotline at 1–800–200–2337. If the affected palm tree is in another county, please contact your local agricultural commissioner's office.

-Jennifer Pelham, UCCE Area Environmental
Horticulture Advisor UCCE San Diego & Orange counties,
jlpelham@ucanr.edu;

-Tracy Ellis, Agricultural Entomologist, County of San Diego, Tracy.Ellis@sdcounty.ca.gov"

I reported one. Don't know if it's infested. But it does appear to be in the beginning stages. 5 FWY southbound, half a mile after the Coronado bridge off ramp on the right hand side.

20170124_134002.jpg

20170124_134003.jpg

20170124_134004.jpg

20170124_134005.jpg

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

11 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Has anyone heard back regarding their findings?

Yes. I have. 

Here is Jennifer Pelham's email response. (Today)

That palm definitely looks like it could be infested with the palm weevil.  Thank you for letting us know.  

Jennifer Pelham
Environmental Horticulture Advisor in San Diego and Orange Counties
University of California Cooperative Extension
9335 Hazard Way, Suite 201
San Diego, CA 92123
858-822-7839

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Upvote 1

Update:

Tracy Ellis replied this morning.

Dear Alex

Thank you for your report. I wanted to let you know that the actual place to report infested palms is at Dr. Mark Hoddle’s web page.  I just noticed that you had not been forwarded to that location.  I want you to have this reporting website in case you see another one.  I have reported your first report, but did not attach the photos because they were not forwarded with Jennifer’s report.

http://cisr.ucr.edu/palmarum_survey.html

Thank you!

Tracy

R. Tracy Ellis

Agricultural Scientist

Entomology Lab and Honey Bee Protection Program

Department of Agriculture, Weights & Measures (AWM)

County of San Diego

Phone: 858-614-7737    or    800-200-BEES (2337)

Email: tracy.ellis@sdcounty.ca.gov

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

^End of email message^

I just created the report and sent pictures through Dr. Mark Hoddles webpage.

Edited by GottmitAlex

That reporting website doen't let me upload images for some reason.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

39 minutes ago, MattyB said:

That reporting website doen't let me upload images for some reason.

Quite so. So I went ahead and forwarded the emails along with the pictures to Dr. Mark S. Hoddle.

I also made him aware of the upload issue on his website.  I tried with three browsers to no avail.

He is now aware of the issue and replied with a thank you.

--------------------------------

thank you very much Alex - this is great new information.

I'll have my IT helper look at the web site - not sure what the problem is and we don't want to be loosing customers because of a bad link or site hosting issue.

Mark

Mark S. Hoddle Ph.D.,

Department of Entomology,

900 University Avenue,

Riverside, CA 92521, USA

phone: 951-827-4714

www.biocontrol.ucr.edu

www.cisr.ucr.edu

---------------------------------------------------

• 2 months later...

I've spotted another palm that looks to be in the early stages of the crown collapsing.  This is only a block away from the now dead and completely collapsed Rosedale Dr. palm.  This palm is on my street.  Bummer.

IMG_2363.JPG

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

bummer

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

3 hours ago, MattyB said:

I've spotted another palm that looks to be in the early stages of the crown collapsing.  This is only a block away from the now dead and completely collapsed Rosedale Dr. palm.  This palm is on my street.  Bummer.

IMG_2363.JPG

Oh crap

Be carefull people, if the black weevil is like our european red weevil, after canariensis it will destroy other Phoenix, Bismarckias, Raveneas, Jubaeas and Parajubaeas.

6 hours ago, Monòver said:

Be carefull people, if the black weevil is like our european red weevil, after canariensis it will destroy other Phoenix, Bismarckias, Raveneas, Jubaeas and Parajubaeas.

Lets hope not!

6 hours ago, Monòver said:

I would like to add that by the time that damage becomes visible, several other specimens have been already also infested. At least this is the case with rpw. Not good, not good at all. A quarantine zone should be installed around those two infested specimens, and all  CIDP's within this zone should be cut down with all required protection measures such as initial spraying with insecticides and use of nets. Hopefully state authorities have learned something from european experience and mistakes.

1 hour ago, Phoenikakias said:

Hopefully state authorities have learned something from european experience and mistakes.

That's a pretty big ask.

• Upvote 3

Nope.  They're doing nothing.

• Upvote 2

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

9 hours ago, MattyB said:

Nope.  They're doing nothing.

Dude! this is scary stuff. I hope the government gets their act together

lets just hope they don't go after you trunking carpoxylon macrospermum :o

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

On 24/1/2017, 7:49:56, Hammer said:

Spit balling...

Would putting out traps with pheromones be a net negative? Meaning is it possible that traps could draw more, faster to an area and spread the pest?

Absolutely correct. A friend of mine running also an aviary in his garden, was reluctant to use chemicals out of fear for his birdstock. Instead he had used a pherormone trap, the result is that he has lost to rpw almost all palms in his garden, including Arecastrum. A single, lonely trap is not positively effective.

• 4 weeks later...

IMG_2513.JPGAnother palm in my neighborhood showing early signs of infestation. I'm afraid we're screwed. All the infested palms are just sitting and stewing more weevils. 

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I passed by this spot today. Both these CIDP's have been removed.

20170123_153809.thumb.jpg.f71207d940a886

I spoke with someone at the Dept. of Ag., and they said that they do not have any funding to do anything about the palm weevils.  She said that "industry" usually funds these sorts of things and with the ornamental palm industry it's not going to happen.  So, there you have it.  We're screwed.  These weevils are just going to spread unchecked.  Say goodbye to your palm gardens because once these things reach a critical mass they're just gonna kill everything.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Here's the most recent pic I have of the CIDP's. (RIP) (Last month)

1 (Large) (3).jpg

1 (Large) (1).jpg

1 (Large) (2).jpg

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, MattyB said:

I spoke with someone at the Dept. of Ag., and they said that they do not have any funding to do anything about the palm weevils.  She said that "industry" usually funds these sorts of things and with the ornamental palm industry it's not going to happen.  So, there you have it.  We're screwed.  These weevils are just going to spread unchecked.  Say goodbye to your palm gardens because once these things reach a critical mass they're just gonna kill everything.

That is very depressing to hear.  What about the date palm industry in Imperial & Coachella Counties?  I'm guessing there just isn't enough money for them to invest in this, as the problem spreads north and ultimately east.  Unfortunately, we are dealing with a number of beetles attacking drought stressed trees here in Southern California right now.  There was just a big write up in the Los Angeles Times on damage to native tree species from beetles as well.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

1 hour ago, Tracy said:

/That is very depressing to hear.  What about the date palm industry in Imperial & Coachella Counties?  I'm guessing there just isn't enough money for them to invest in this, as the problem spreads north and ultimately east.  Unfortunately, we are dealing with a number of beetles attacking drought stressed trees here in Southern California right now.  There was just a big write up in the Los Angeles Times on damage to native tree species from beetles as well.

Agree w/ Tracy, ..just makes me shake my head.

There's no doubt that if these things continue spreading, and settle anywhere around Palm Springs, everything else to the east is game. Same can be said of everything to the north, up the coast as far as they aren't killed off by cold temperatures ( if that would even be a limiting factor since the larve are housed in the shelter of the trunk/ crown) 

For anyone else old enough to remember,  I can recall watching the nightly helicoptor flights in the battle once waged to stop the Mediterranean Fruit Fly as a kid. I'd think the Ag. Dept. would take the potential impact that exists in this situation just as seriously.. There's always a way to find funding. I find the" we just can't afford... money isn't there.." rhetoric highly suspect. Guarantee if said Fruit Fly reappears, so will a sudden, miracle-esque windfall.

Then again, I was told of how the Az. Ag dept brushed aside the concerns brought to them when a local nursery had received plants with a suspect pest. 

Unfortunately, the weevels may just be the start of a whole new invasion of new/ new to you and me pests we may have to deal with. Bugs can move almost as fast/ perhaps faster than birds looking to expand into new and favorable territory. 

• Upvote 1

Just a little while ago I went to see a client in Bonita, CA. Nothing could have prepared me for the panoramic horrors driving up his street.

Worm-ridden CIDP's left and right. Ironically, the street is named Palm Dr.   Interestingly enough, I noticed Washingtonias, Dactyliferas, queens, kings etc. have not been affected. I hope this is good news for the soon-to-be established B. Alfredii palms in the region.

Here are some pics. 

20170504_095135.jpg

20170504_095145.jpg

20170504_095253.jpg

20170504_095256.jpg

20170504_095310.jpg

20170504_095442.jpg

20170504_095445.jpg

20170504_095446.jpg

Google street view map of the general area

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bonita+Dr,+San+Diego,+CA+92114/@32.6651758,-117.0244896,3a,60y,200.06h,89.96t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sdrouZmgfXPfAMzoLxGFqGA!2e0!5s20110101T000000!7i13312!8i6656!4m8!1m2!2m1!1sbonita+dr.!3m4!1s0x80d9517e4205c5e7:0xddd4291973900687!8m2!3d32.6964243!4d-117.077774

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Upvote 3

Wow, this is terrible news. But not shocking. There is really no way to keep insects from coming up through the huge border we have with Mexico. I once had 5 CIDPs. Lost 3 to Fusarium and now the survivors might get nuked by a dang bug unless I spend ~$100 year to inoculate them. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

5 minutes ago, LJG said:

There is really no way to keep insects from coming up through the huge border we have with Mexico. I once had 5 CIDPs. Lost 3 to Fusarium and now the survivors might get nuked by a dang bug unless I spend ~$100 year to inoculate them. 

Yes, the weevils have no idea that we humans have drawn a line in the dirt/sand which we call a border.  They are just following the food sources.  So what do you plan to use to inoculate your CIDP's in an effort to protect them from palm weevils?

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Hmmmm, maybe in the future the CIDP will be rare palms!

"For collectors"

Edited by foxtail
Add
  • Upvote 1

Rio_Grande.gif

46 minutes ago, Tracy said:

Yes, the weevils have no idea that we humans have drawn a line in the dirt/sand which we call a border.  They are just following the food sources.  So what do you plan to use to inoculate your CIDP's in an effort to protect them from palm weevils?

Because they are so large I would have to have PlantTek come out and put in a systemic each spring. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

1 hour ago, foxtail said:

Hmmmm, maybe in the future the CIDP will be rare palms!

"For collectors"

In Europe, this is the present. Millions CIDP killed by weevils.

If the black weevil is like our red weevil, the next will be Bismarckias, Jubaeas, Parajubaeas, Washintonias filiferas and every Phoenix species.

I think californian palm lovers must start the war and the best "friend" will be the "Imidacloprid".

Edited by Monòver
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Monòver said:

In Europe, this is the present. Millions CIDP killed by weevils.

If the black weevil is like our red weevil, the next will be Bismarckias, Jubaeas, Parajubaeas, Washintonias filiferas and every Phoenix species.

I think californian palm lovers must start the war and the best "friend" will be the "Imidacloprid".

Damn!!!! That's hard.

@Monòver if you know; which is the status of the Islas Canarias (habitat) P. Canariensis?

Edited by foxtail

Rio_Grande.gif