IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

IMPORTANT MEETING IN SAN DIEGO - RHYNCHOPHORUS PALMARUM - SOUTH AMERICAN BLACK PALM WEEVIL

Cristóbal

Mark Hoddle,who is the director of the University of California Center for Invasive Species Research in Riverside, California, has organized a urgent meeting on Wednesday 26 October 2016, from 10AM to 3PM at the Sweetwater Summit Community Building located at 3218 Summit Meadow Rd, Bonita, CA 91902,  for all people and organizations interested in more informations about this pest discovered in Tijuana, México in 2010 and which is establishing now in San Diego County in Southern California. 

The purpose of this meeting is to inform about the devasting impact that may be expected this insect will have on palms in this region, and how we may fight against it.

The morning of the meeting up to lunch time will be a rapid overview of palms/palm weevils and the successful eradication of one palm weevil species (Rhynchophorus Ferrugineous, the Red Palm Weevil) from Laguna Beach in the last year. Mr. Hoddle directed these efforts.

Lunch will be provided at the meeting.

The afternoon will consist of a field trip to the nearby Sweetwater reserve which is infested with palm weevils.

For more information, please send to me a message in PalmTalk, or you may contact Mark Hoddle with email:

mark.hoddle@ucr.edu

For more information about Rhynchophorus Palmarum the Black Palm Weevil, please read my most recent post about this insect:

And also visit Mark Hoddle´s web page which discusses this huge problem here:

http://cisr.ucr.edu/palmarum.html

Edited by Cristóbal
  • Upvote 4

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

26 minutes ago, Cristóbal said:

Mark Hoddle,who is the director of the University of California Center for Invasive Species Research in Riverside, California, has organized a urgent meeting on Wednesday 26 October 2016, from 10AM to 3PM at the Sweetwater Summit Community Building located at 3218 Summit Meadow Rd, Bonita, CA 91902,  for all people and organizations interested in more informations about this pest discovered in Tijuana, México in 2010 and which is establishing now in San Diego County in Southern California. 

The purpose of this meeting is to inform about the devasting impact that may be expected this insect will have on palms in this region, and how we may fight against it.

The morning of the meeting up to lunch time will be a rapid overview of palms/palm weevils and the successful eradication of one palm weevil species (Rhynchophorus Ferrugineous, the Red Palm Weevil) from Laguna Beach in the last year. Mr. Hoddle directed these efforts.

Lunch will be provided at the meeting.

The afternoon will consist of a field trip to the nearby Sweetwater reserve which is infested with palm weevils.

For more information, please send to me a message in PalmTalk, or you may contact Mark Hoddle with email:

mark.hoddle@ucr.edu

For more information about Rhynchophorus Palmarum the Black Palm Weevil, please read my most recent post about this insect:

And also visit Mark Hoddle´s web page which discusses this huge problem here:

http://cisr.ucr.edu/palmarum.html

Cristobal!  Thanks for this notice.  

On an unrelated topic, how's the Cocos?

• 1 month later...

Hello Hammer, my cocos nucifera are growing very well. One in the ground is 10 years old !!!

I am bumping this thread because the meeting will be this week, on Wednesday.

Let me know if you are thinking of attending.

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

If I lived further south, and had planned ahead to take the day off, it sounds like very good event to attend!!

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Wesdnesday @ 10:00am. Sounds good. Although I don't know if I can stay till 3pm.  Would you happen to know if they have WiFi in the building/premises? (My phone is VoIP.)

Anyway.  Do you happen to have pictures of your 10 year Coco nucifera? I would love to see it.

Gracias!   

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

On 24/10/2016 18:29:21, GottmitAlex said:

Wesdnesday @ 10:00am. Sounds good. Although I don't know if I can stay till 3pm.  Would you happen to know if they have WiFi in the building/premises? (My phone is VoIP.)

Anyway.  Do you happen to have pictures of your 10 year Coco nucifera? I would love to see it.

Gracias!   

Hello Alex,

It would be great if you can attend, people need to know how bad this situation is, and that it will only become worse in the future.

I have not ever been in this building, so I do not know about WiFi there.

I posted some fotos in March of 2016 of my cocos nucifera, you can see them here:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/5761-california-cocos-1-2-3/&do=findComment&comment=689729

51 minutes ago, Cristóbal said:

Hello Alex,

It would be great if you can attend, people need to know how bad this situation is, and that it will only become worse in the future.

I have not ever been in this building, so I do not know about WiFi there.

I posted some fotos in March of 2016 of my cocos nucifera, you can see them here:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/5761-california-cocos-1-2-3/&do=findComment&comment=689729

Hi Cristobal, Sadly, it seems the newest photos in that thread are from early 2015.  

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

The enemy is here.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

For the tl;dr crowd:

The SAPW has been reported on 35 plant species in 12 families and is especially economically important on plantation crops like coconut (Cocos nucifera) and African oil palm (Elaeis guineensis) (CABI 2016; Dean 1979; EPPO 2007a; Esser and Meredith 1987; Fenwick 1967; Griffith 1968, 1987; Jaffe and Sánchez 1990; Sanchez and Cerda 1993; Wattanapongsiri 1966) although it can also attack ornamental landscape palms and non- palms, such as sugarcane, banana and cacao, and cause significant damage (EPPO 2005, Wattanapongsiri 1966). It can also be found in virgin forest (CABI 2016). 

Primary Hosts: coconut palm, African oil palm, assai palm (Euterpe edulis), sago palm (Metroxylon sagu), Canary Island date palm, date palm (Phoenix dactylifera), and sugarcane (Arango and Rizo 1977, EPPO 2007a, Restrepo et al. 1982, Thomas 2010). 

Secondary Hosts: pineapple, custard apple, breadfruit, papaya, citrus, mango, banana, avocado, guava, and cacao (EPPO 2007a).

Over 30 additional plant species are susceptible to adult SAPWs, which mostly feed on stems of several palms and fruits of several non-palms, causing insignificant damage (CABI 2016, Hagley 1965). 

• Upvote 2

I didn't even realize there was a South American palm weevil in Mexico. Surprised it hasn't been here sooner.  Didn't SoCal have a scare with R. ferrugineus, the Asian type a while back? 

1 hour ago, topwater said:

I didn't even realize there was a South American palm weevil in Mexico. Surprised it hasn't been here sooner.  Didn't SoCal have a scare with R. ferrugineus, the Asian type a while back? 

Oh, yeah, we sure did. Still wake up screaming in the night.

There's a lot of bad things we will likely learn, like, will these beetles eat Dypsis, like prestoniana, decipiens, etc.? Chambeyronia (sob)? Burretokentia (snarf)? Hope not. :(

Deja vu ALL [EXPLETIVE] OVER AGAIN.

1953 Bowman Yogi Berra.jpg

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

2 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

There's a lot of bad things we will likely learn, like, will these beetles eat Dypsis, like prestoniana, decipiens, etc.? Chambeyronia (sob)? Burretokentia (snarf)? Hope not. :(

Beccariophoenix? Kentiopsis? Ptychosperma? Bizzies?

:sick:

Our version is R. cruentatus, its indigenous to the Deep South all the way to Texas, but it mostly eats dying Sabals. It's the introduced palms that have no defense.  I think more than a few have PT Floridians have lost Bizzies to the same. Don't despair.....yet. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Dave puts it well, it's what we don't know.  

20 hours ago, LJG said:

Thanks for the article link Len.  The article talks about the primary hosts as the palms used for commercial purposes, but I couldn't help focusing on this statement:  ".... although it can also attack ornamental landscape palms..."

So for those who attended, was there anything new presented at the meeting which is worthy of sharing?

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Tracy, I was unable to attend. This was sent to me by a friend who went. I don't think that statement is surprising really because once most CIDP are gone, they won't disappear, but move to similar palms to coninite their distraction. Kind of what they are finding in Europe. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

These are some fotos I took in this meeting.

200+ people were there.

Following this link http://cisr.ucr.edu/palm_weevil_symposia.html , you may watch the videos of the presentations of this meeting, which are:

Importance of Palms in Southern California, Basic Biology and Common Diseases/Disorders

Donald Hodel, Environmental Horticulturist
University of California 

South American Palm Weevil Invasion in Southern California

Mark Hoddle, Director for the Center for Invasive Species Research
University of California, Riverside

Overview of Palm Weevil in Laguna Beach

John Kabashima, UC Cooperative Extension,
Emeritus

Trapping the South American Palm Weevil

Jason Leathers, Agricultural Plant Science, Food Science, Horticulture
California Department of Food and Agriculture 

Response Options for the South American Palm Weevil

Nick Condos, Director of the Plant Protection and Plant Health 

Outreach for the South American Palm Weevil

David Pegos, Special Assistant

20161026_121408_HDR.jpg

20161026_121412_HDR.jpg

20161026_122945_HDR.jpg

• Upvote 3

Weevil and weevil trap samples.

20161026_124246_HDR.jpg

20161026_124250_HDR.jpg

• Upvote 2

After the meeting, the group went to a area to see a sick phoenix canariensis.

In these fotos, Mark Hoddle discusses the sick palm - see how the palm fronds are being eaten.

20161026_142402_HDR.jpg

20161026_143242_HDR.jpg

20161026_143429_HDR.jpg

• Upvote 2

After we visited this palm, the group went to a area with water where phoenix canariensis grow wild.

In this area, Mark Hoddle has put many traps to monitor the infestation.

These fotos show the area, and a dying phoenix canariensis.

This was the end of the meeting, and trip.

As we have more informations, I will continue to post on this thread.

20161026_145322_HDR.jpg

20161026_145338_HDR.jpg

20161026_150016_HDR.jpg

Edited by Cristóbal
  • Upvote 3

Thank you Cristóbal.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Yes, Thanks for all your diligence on this Cristobal.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Was working near San Ysidro yesterday and saw this palm right outside the mobile home park I was working at. Easy to spot in the 2900 block of Iris Ave in San Diego, just north of the 905. Reported to the website last night. (Did not have time to stop and look for evidence below..

20161110_163118.thumb.jpg.f514149437c679

On 11/11/2016 8:08:28, BS Man about Palms said:

Was working near San Ysidro yesterday and saw this palm right outside the mobile home park I was working at. Easy to spot in the 2900 block of Iris Ave in San Diego, just north of the 905. Reported to the website last night. (Did not have time to stop and look for evidence below..

20161110_163118.thumb.jpg.f514149437c679

Hello BSMan,

You did the right thing to report this to Mark Hoddle, he will add it to his map.

This palm has the fronds chewed at the top, so I am 99% sure it is infected.

It is located only about 2 kilometers from the main area of infestation in San Ysidro.

• Upvote 1

Cristóbal, do you have a map showing the known infestation points in TJ? (Not just the border side)

• 1 month later...

WOW.. This had gone to the back of my mind until I happened to drive down Bonita rd today! I'm assuming they are monitoring the valley down there.. Within a 3-4 mile drive I could spot 4-5 of these never even leaving my vehicle!  Sad.. :( 

This sucks!  Very close to my house. I spotted a CIDP in my neighborhood with center collapsed. Reported it to the website but never heard back from them. 

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

gosh, I have seen this look on some big CIDP this past few months driving around older parts of SD.

sooo sad!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

8 hours ago, MattyB said:

This sucks!  Very close to my house. I spotted a CIDP in my neighborhood with center collapsed. Reported it to the website but never heard back from them. 

I never heard back either, I can only hope there is a follow through.

IMG_1959.JPG

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

It's happening.  Spring Valley is infested.

3050 James Cir-1.JPG

3050 James Cir-3.JPG

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"