IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Another unknown dypsis

Bill Austin

A friend order dypsis saintelucei seed from RPS. and got this,which kind of starts off looking kind a like saintelucei as a one gal. but then it bifurcates . His original plant seeded at around seven feet. Any ideas ??IMG_1742.thumb.JPG.5e8aac99646aa863be775IMG_1769.thumb.JPG.d86441bc321ef5c3d50a4IMG_1772.thumb.JPG.be521959443942d95baba

• Upvote 5

Wow Bill, that's a looker. Seems pretty husky as well. I don't recall seeing anything quite like it before.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Great looking Palms Bill, :greenthumb: yours are way bigger of course but the seed I got off RPS , plants I got from Clayton and Luke are all turning into the same Dypsis which where "all" sold to me as Dypsis Arenarum and looked very Saitluceie when young.       Pete.

57bf87c48dce5_002(2).thumb.JPG.857d2c6c1

003.thumb.JPG.4e9f15ea36fc4ec284fef9a0f2

002.thumb.JPG.f7c92069197a72fc59f5dd01dd

004.thumb.JPG.2c3906327a97f3323937dd3719

• Upvote 3

Bill, did this plant look like the Arenarums Marcus sells now when small? I had the same thoughts as Pete. Pretty cool plant. You always have a surprise or two up your sleeve. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

No not the same plant Jeff has one of these that my friend gave him, his has two feet of wood . Jeff has no idea what this is, the seed stays true to the mother plant out 300 seed all came out the same.

Cool hope this plant becomes available from Jeff someday. 

Bill, does it have glaucous underside of leaflets like St Lucei and Basilonga?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

3 hours ago, Pedro 65 said:

Great looking Palms Bill, :greenthumb: yours are way bigger of course but the seed I got off RPS , plants I got from Clayton and Luke are all turning into the same Dypsis which where "all" sold to me as Dypsis Arenarum and looked very Saitluceie when young.       Pete.

57bf87c48dce5_002(2).thumb.JPG.857d2c6c1

003.thumb.JPG.4e9f15ea36fc4ec284fef9a0f2

002.thumb.JPG.f7c92069197a72fc59f5dd01dd

004.thumb.JPG.2c3906327a97f3323937dd3719

my thoughts exactly Pete

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I have a couple of palms similar.... Some were acquired as arenarum and others were acquired as Dypsis sp. "Bill Beattie". Not sure if my "arenarum" and dypsis Bill Beattie are the same or not.... Certainly very very similar though.

They were not sold to me by Bill Beattie but I enquired with him about what he knew about them..... He calls them Dypsis sp. lafazamanga.

looks identicle to Bills Palm. I'll post pics later today if I can

I just found these couple on my phone of my Dypsis "Bill "Beattie" in the ground.... It's growing like a rocket!! Will post more comparison pics later with my arenarum and this species.

image.thumb.jpeg.76c97085b71c83b74de7a8cimage.thumb.jpeg.dd25514ee2883874eb24eb5image.thumb.jpeg.e0c0397728783e78ccff891

image.jpeg

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, Kennybenjamin said:

I just found these couple on my phone of my Dypsis "Bill "Beattie" in the ground.... It's growing like a rocket!! Will post more comparison pics later with my arenarum and this species.

image.thumb.jpeg.76c97085b71c83b74de7a8cimage.thumb.jpeg.dd25514ee2883874eb24eb5image.thumb.jpeg.e0c0397728783e78ccff891

image.jpeg

Ben, it look a lot like the palm Jeff is selling as "dypsis arenarum. I have a bunch in my green house and they look the same.

great looking palm!

Nice job growing it.

Sunset zone 24

2 hours ago, Kennybenjamin said:

If you dont think these are the same Ben, I'd eat my hat..    Pete

57bfdea07c777_005(3).thumb.JPG.56bd1734557bfde788bdc0_006(2).thumb.JPG.12c47956e57bfde51e2b59_004(2).thumb.JPG.2fae49d7a

Yeah Pete I certainly can't see any obvious difference...... I only slightly hesitate cause I have bought them under different names from reputable Palm people

19 minutes ago, Kennybenjamin said:

Yeah Pete I certainly can't see any obvious difference...... I only slightly hesitate cause I have bought them under different names from reputable Palm people

Clayton n Luke are "very" reputable ....Thanks JoshO for "agreeing", its plain as day eh, I have a very good eye too :) ... Arenarum or not, they are all the "same palm"..

5 minutes ago, Kennybenjamin said:

I didn't buy it from Bill it just came with Bill name as the species on the tag.... I got them from Arden

So they are still different palms??? So many same Dypsis have "many" different names till they are worked out..

They probably are the same Pete but I have always kept an open mind that there is a small possibility they could grow into slightly different palms?

LOL.. :)  dont be sucked in by the "name" Ben, simply "Look" at the palms posted..  Pete

5 hours ago, Bill Austin said:

No not the same plant Jeff has one of these that my friend gave him, his has two feet of wood . Jeff has no idea what this is, the seed stays true to the mother plant out 300 seed all came out the same.

So Jeff thinks it not arenarum?

As Bill Austin said the arenarum type look very very similar to st lucie, yet they both turn out very very different from each other.

Arenarum type on the left, st lucie on the right.... Also pretty much indenticle.... I'm not saying 100% the palms in question are different but it's not impossible that they are.

image.thumb.jpeg.1003fec574be81338a51d4cimage.thumb.jpeg.edc965f02d389a7a2f54c32

• Upvote 1

Ben, as I said about  8  posts up" Arenarum or Not"  Im pretty certain all palms on this thread ( that Bill A , You at yr garden and I)have posted are the "same"  btw "What" on your Tag ???  and did yrs look like thisb4 it bifurcates  or did you buy it larger ??  Pete 57bf87c48dce5_002(2).thumb.JPG.857d2c6c1

8 minutes ago, Pedro 65 said:

any more to add from my question??

Look at the Black at the base, ;)  I "bet" yours n mine will be spittn image down the track... :o

IMG_1772.thumb.JPG.be521959443942d95baba               

45 minutes ago, Pedro 65 said:

Ben, as I said about  8  posts up" Arenarum or Not"  Im pretty certain all palms on this thread are the "same"  btw "What" on your Tag ???   Pete

26 minutes ago, Pedro 65 said:

any more to add from my question??

Pete, I thought I answered your question by showing you whats on the tag?

As I said they probably are the same.... But when Bill Austin posts a mystery dypsis and Arden is supplying palms without a species name (both these guys seriously know their stuff) i wait to see what they turn into...... Imo this arenarum palm is fairly common and I would have thought both guys mentioned above would know it if they saw it?

just my 2 cents worth..... They prob the same but maybe not..... The pic you just posted above is a very nice Palm and if they the same I'll be glad to have quite a few of them

20 minutes ago, Kennybenjamin said:

Pete, I thought I answered your question by showing you whats on the tag?

As I said they probably are the same.... But when Bill Austin posts a mystery dypsis and Arden is supplying palms without a species name (both these guys seriously know their stuff) i wait to see what they turn into...... Imo this arenarum palm is fairly common and I would have thought both guys mentioned above would know it if they saw it?

just my 2 cents worth..... They prob the same but maybe not..... The pic you just posted above is a very nice Palm and if they the same I'll be glad to have quite a few of them

For the 3 rd time Arenarum or Not , Bill As , Yours n mine are the same palm, and you think I dont know my stuff :floor:

I also asked what size was yrs when you bought it......

Also again, If this below Dypsis doesnt look like the 1 Bill A posted with a Black base, I'll eat my hat, "simple" as that... also Ben, your going off other folks input "not" your eye ;)

57bfdea07c777_005(3).thumb.JPG.56bd17345

I respect your knowledge and you opinion Pete. This is a discussion board and earlier in the thread I simply gave all the info I knew about these palms for everyone's benefit.

My point is that before these split they are dead on for st lucei so if I was judging solely based on my eye I would call them st lucei..... But then they split and end up looking very different from  st lucie. We all know palms can change as they grow.

In addition to my eye am keeping in mind all the things I know about the history of the palms etc

i have not said you are wrong, I simply have reserved my judgement. 

Thanks Ben, the "Future" will "Tell True" ;)

You forgot to mention the size yours was when you bought it Ben . :rolleyes:

Ive watched mine morph from a small single Dypsis to what they are now ;)

I only just saw your question Pete..... The first pics I posted of mine in the ground was about a 4 leaf seedling. Fast grower!

7 minutes ago, Kennybenjamin said:

I only just saw your question Pete..... The first pics I posted of mine in the ground was about a 4 leaf seedling. Fast grower!

Yes, very fast, quite like "hybrid fast" , and Saintlucei is a "slow" grower. Enough said, but all good fun :)    Pete

If the question is this palm arenarum it is not. The mature plant the one that the seed came from does't look like arenarum . So many of these arenarum, saintelucei, basilonga, lutescens, saintelucei dwarf,  and one I posted put them all together as 1 gal and it would hard to tell them a part, at lest for me.I will try to post pic. of the mature plant.

1 hour ago, Bill Austin said:

If the question is this palm arenarum it is not. The mature plant the one that the seed came from does't look like arenarum . So many of these arenarum, saintelucei, basilonga, lutescens, saintelucei dwarf,  and one I posted put them all together as 1 gal and it would hard to tell them a part, at lest for me.I will try to post pic. of the mature plant.

My question probably got lost in the discussion Bill, but does it have glaucous underside of leaflets like St Lucei and Basilonga?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

I would say no as far as I can remember but I will check just went out in the rain to see and no white on the underside of the leaflets.

20 hours ago, Kennybenjamin said:

Potted "Bill Beattie"

image.thumb.jpeg.a65e802dfdecee69631a178image.thumb.jpeg.37335dcc40ee32079702860

and potted arenarum

image.thumb.jpeg.d2e4e09af55bfa72d65904cimage.thumb.jpeg.37f43dda7dd04eb24b299e1

yep pretty much identicle

I agree 100% that they are identical Ben

Sunset zone 24