IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Butia catarinensis arrived!

Brad Mondel

Since Butia is my favorite genus I've been seeking this species for a very long time and I finally found a grower that doesn't charge astronomical amounts of money for palms. These two will stay in pots for as long as possible, I'm very pleased and excited with these! 

image.thumb.jpeg.de66612cea6b7fe3c9259d0

• Upvote 4

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Great find! What do you know about these and how they differ from regular capitata?

Cheers, Barrie.

I would have given you seedlings for free. I have hundred of them i keep mowing over and pulling them up.  Thiss is the only Butia that i do not grow. 

You don't grow it because ... uh ... you mow over it and pull them up? :huh:

Cheers, Barrie.

8 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

You don't grow it because ... uh ... you mow over it and pull them up? :huh:

Cheers, Barrie.

Barrie, sorry for not being clear; that is the only Butia I don't grow commercially. I primarily grow Odorata, Eriospatha, and Yatay.

Joseph....are you saying that you have B. catarenensis growing wild like grass? 

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Nevermind...you posted at the same time.

Hardly anyone sells dwarf Butia's.

Its not for a lack of trying..... I have a lot (over 1000 seeds) of dwarf butia seed in the germinating room.  A fresher batch of archeri and matagr. seed arrived a few weeks ago, which I hope will start to pop in a few months. 

I’ve got two of these in the ground now for five years or more, funny thing is I can’t remember where I got them from, LOL! Maybe jungle music? Anyways, it been very hardy for me in 8a and when it does have spear pull (like last winters 19F, no protection) it grew back really fast compared to my bigger butias.  I highly recommend this cute little Butia palm.  It tougher than it looks. 

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1

Has it ever fruited?

21 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I would have given you seedlings for free. I have hundred of them i keep mowing over and pulling them up.  Thiss is the only Butia that i do not grow. 

Can we see your mother catarinensis? 

How old is it? How big was it when it started to flower? 

Cant wait till mine get big enough to bloom. 

On August 25, 2016 at 2:46:23 PM, Las Palmas Norte said:

Great find! What do you know about these and how they differ from regular capitata?

Cheers, Barrie.

Catarinensis is the Butia of the beach. It is a smaller palm that grows in sandy coastal soil of Southern Brazil. Usually stays shorter than 3 meters. Very cold hardy. 

http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Butia_catarinensis

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Brad Mondel said:

Catarinensis is the Butia of the beach. It is a smaller palm that grows in sandy coastal soil of Southern Brazil. Usually stays shorter than 3 meters. Very cold hardy. 

http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Butia_catarinensis

Ah man ... I need one of these palms. Thanks for the info.

Cheers, Barrie.

1 hour ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

Has it ever fruited?

I have never had any butia in my garden bloom for me. Maybe some day.  :bemused: After looking at mine it looks to be around a three gallon size palm. 

Edited by Palm crazy

Here is what mine look like as of today. They were planted pretty small a while ago. 

B.c. #1

DSC00002%20copy_zpstgpoi2k9.jpg

close-up of trunk.

DSC00002_zps5xpyhvks.jpg

B.c. #2

DSC00007_zpsau6jw5e9.jpg

DSC00006_zpsboxhvjdb.jpg

I may have gotten these two as seedlings from a guy in Seattle 5 years ago. I planted mine right away and did protect the first couple of years. 

Both of these had spear pull this last winter at 19F/-7C. Funny thing is a few years ago at 18F neither had any damage, go figure! 

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 3

On August 24, 2016 8:44:18 PM, Brad Mondel said:

Since Butia is my favorite genus I've been seeking this species for a very long time and I finally found a grower that doesn't charge astronomical amounts of money for palms. These two will stay in pots for as long as possible, I'm very pleased and excited with these! 

image.thumb.jpeg.de66612cea6b7fe3c9259d0

Your climate is warmer overall so it should out perform mine, good find! 

Thanks for sharing! Yours look beautiful. Here's mine in their new pots: image.thumb.jpeg.7da7f3dcc3be0415299140e

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Brad Mondel said:

Thanks for sharing! Yours look beautiful. Here's mine in their new pots: image.thumb.jpeg.7da7f3dcc3be0415299140e

So where did these come from?

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

First pic Three catarinensis 

Second pic catarinensis trunk size to size 12 shoe

Third pic odorata on right, catarinensis on left

Fourth - odorata trunk with same shoe

20160826_165709_resized.jpg

20160826_165956_resized.jpg

20160826_165936_resized.jpg

20160826_170019_resized.jpg

• Upvote 2

First- another catarinensis 

Second - three more catarensis

Third- this was the fatest and best looking catarinensis out of the 18 that i started out with, but it doesn't match the beauty or size of any of the average odorata. I use this one for mule seed along with the odorata. 

20160826_165841_resized.jpg

20160826_191252_resized.jpg

20160826_172244_resized.jpg

• Upvote 4

I love the small trunks on those. Any pics of seed? Thanks for sharing. 

Joseph ... you have B. catarinensis that you use for mule seed? .... any difference in size with the mules it has produced? 

18 minutes ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

Joseph ... you have B. catarinensis that you use for mule seed? .... any difference in size with the mules it has produced? 

Right now it is hard to tell as my oldest self made mules are only 1.5 years old now. It seems like the Odorata mules seem to grow faster but I don't have a large enough sample size to declare that as fact right now.  I plan on planting out a few Odorata mules, Catarensis mules and the two Schafer Yatay mules that I have next year. A little mule palm grove if you will. The plan is to transition from Butia to mules to butia parajubaea hydrids to jubaea hybrids to Jubaea. 

2 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Guys, anyone know where I can get a B. catarinensis?

I have a ton of seedlings ill send if you cover shipping.

2 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I have a ton of seedlings ill send if you cover shipping.

Incoming!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

• 2 weeks later...

I obtained this Butia labeled as B. capitata, v. bonnetii.  This was supposedly a dwarf form of what is now Butia odora.  What are your thoughts, might this be a B. catarinensis?

I planted this 13 years ago when the overall palm was about 24 inches tall.  No seeds yet, although many spadices. It wants to hold many more good leaves than shown. 

(I prune them off while still viable to avoid the parked cars and sidewalk.)  Thanks for your comments !

IMG_4206.JPG

IMG_4207.JPG

• Upvote 3

San Francisco, California

It looks like a catarinensis. I believe bonetti used to be catarinensis' old name and it was going to be its official name but they decided to go with catarinensis instead. 

That is a beauty Darold. Would also suit a smaller garden situation for those that want a pinnate leaved palm.

Cheers, Barrie.

• 2 years later...

20190307_044537.thumb.jpg.6a5d83f255724118ea17db878aaa1d33.jpgAlmost three years later and the leaflets are set flatter than the typical "V" shape of other Butias. It is more blue also. I put aquarium aragonite (crushed coral) around  the base to mimick it's natural soil conditions. 

Edited by Brad Mondel
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That’s doing really well Brad. Mine has been very slow, i bought the seed as odorata back in 2004 and it’s not recognised as catarinensis after the renaming about 10 years ago. 

Butia is my favourite genus too. I’ve got the more common odorata, eriospatha and yatay but also have missionera, paraguayensis, florianopolis, quaraimana and a few hybrids too. 

Here is my 15 year old catarinensis. 

FF22DD32-9E91-420C-84C5-E04012B96F6D.jpeg

It is my favorite Genus also, I love the arched fronds. I have many odorata and one catariensis. I am unable to germinate Butia seeds so I am afraid to spend money on rare expensive seeds. I would like archeri and eriospatha, but a whole collection will do of each species! Yours looks great. They do grow much slower than odorata it seems.