IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Washingtonia robusta seedling

Latinmtl67

Hi guys :D i'm a newbie here and i would like to more something. 

I germinated some seed 2 weeks ago and some of them finally sprouted. 

One of them I noticed at the end of 2 roots it's getting darker.

i used the baggies method with paper towels.

Btw :Today i got my heating pad which i put them on 1 hour ago directly but when i put my hand on it, for me it seems too hot so i place then in a container and then on the pad

here is some pictures

thank you guys in advancei6v92m5ux

Yea, thats too close to the heating pad and you're burning the roots. Get the seeds out of there once they germinate or turn down your timer, or put a towel between the pad and baggies.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm germinating some seed for the first time as well. I have them in paper towels with moist sphagnum moss inside plastic bags. Then placed on a heating pad at 85 degrees. I'm trying Washingtonia filibusta and serenoa repens (silver form).

I have several filibusta seeds that germinated in less than a week, which are slightly smaller than in the pics that Latinmtl67 posted. I moved them to small pots with a mix of sphagnum moss, perlite, and vermiculite (1:1:1). I read a lot of different advice online about what to plant the seedlings in, but that's what I went with.

I'd love any general advice that people are willing to give on the process of germinating, transplanting, and then maybe transplanting again. What seedling mix do you use? How quickly you should move the germinated seeds to pots -- immediately as I find them? What other easy palm seeds have you germinated (I want build up my germinating confidence and practice on easier species)?

Thanks everybody! This is my first post after stalking the forums for a long time.

Welcome ... Washingtonia  are pretty easy for sure. Try some Trachycarpus fortunei (Windmill palm) seeds. They're readily available and are fairly straight forward.

A few of my Washingtonia are pushing themselves out of their starter pots from root growth. Time to move 'em on up to gallon pots. You can put rooted seedlings right into pots. I usually wait until there's some green top growth, although not always. I use pretty much any mix that is free draining for seedlings on up. Those tender new roots can rot if in water logged soil.   

Cheers, Barrie.

18 hours ago, PaddyM said:

I'm germinating some seed for the first time as well. I have them in paper towels with moist sphagnum moss inside plastic bags. Then placed on a heating pad at 85 degrees. I'm trying Washingtonia filibusta and serenoa repens (silver form).

I have several filibusta seeds that germinated in less than a week, which are slightly smaller than in the pics that Latinmtl67 posted. I moved them to small pots with a mix of sphagnum moss, perlite, and vermiculite (1:1:1). I read a lot of different advice online about what to plant the seedlings in, but that's what I went with.

I'd love any general advice that people are willing to give on the process of germinating, transplanting, and then maybe transplanting again. What seedling mix do you use? How quickly you should move the germinated seeds to pots -- immediately as I find them? What other easy palm seeds have you germinated (I want build up my germinating confidence and practice on easier species)?

Thanks everybody! This is my first post after stalking the forums for a long time.

Another welcome!  I agree with Washingtonia being one of the easiest and fastest to germinate, but I also recommend Phoenix dactylifera.  The date palm has got to be the easiest seed to obtain for almost any area - just buy some dates at the grocery store with the pits and plant the seed after a tasty snack.  I haven't germinated many of these but I don't remember every failing to germinate one that I planted!  And they germinate pretty quickly as well.  I read a story a while back where archaeologists found dates that had been buried for over 2 thousand years and they were able to germinate the seed!  That's pretty impressive viability!  If that doesn't encourage you, nothing will! :lol:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/03/150324-ancient-methuselah-date-palm-sprout-science/

Jon Sunder

I am also attempting to germinate palm seeds using the baggy and paper towel method. Sabal palmetto seeds at 91 degrees F (maximum temperature The heat pad gives off), Sabal palmetto seeds can handle a lot of heat.

PalmTreeDude

2 hours ago, Latinmtl67 said:

So far its been 2-3 weeks for my sabal palmetto and doent want to germinated 

im loosing hopes

Don't lose hope. Sabals are fast but 2-3 weeks isn't enough time. I've had them take several months or more, esp. over winter. Palms aren't marigolds - they take their time germinating. I've had Attalea seeds germinate after 3 years.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

• 5 months later...

Here's an update and a question for my Washingtonia seedlings. I germinated these seeds in August 2016, so they're about eight months in. I was really pleased that out of ~30 seeds, I ended up with 17 seedlings. They've been doing great under a grow light in my basement. They're working on their third or fourth leaves and are just at 12 inches tall. They're growing in a mix of 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 perlite, and 1/3 chopped spaghnum. I just started giving them some weak fertilizer last month. 

Here's the question. In the past week, I noticed that a couple leaves have started turning light yellow. Do we think this is a mineral deficiency? I know the mix they're growing in doesn't have much of anything in it. Or something else? Thanks!

IMG_5593.thumb.JPG.fe5bd1b8ad0dfdcf9be2eIMG_5595.thumb.JPG.d3eb9866f50a85cd37adb

Edited by PaddyM
  • Upvote 1