IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The delicious monster plant blooming

Ed in Houston

How Do You Prepare Delicious Monster?

1. Place the fruit in a paper bag or upright in a glass, stem side on top.  Let it ripen naturally – which takes 2-4 days depending on the age of the fruit and the humidity.
  2. When the scales have started to peel off, gently remove remaining scales with your fingers, revealing the soft white flesh underneath.  Warning: this may remind you of skinning an iguana or a nightmare you had as a child after watching an alien movie.  Keep in mind, the fruit coming to you is named Delicious Monster for a reason!
  3. Using a thin knife, remove the now delicate and somewhat slimy scales from the hard and inedible core.
  4. Mix into a smoothie, sprinkle on yogurt or cereal, or eat raw for an unbelievably delicious treat!

monster2.jpg.67017c1c251cf746f5b520a6ee4

monster.jpg.50db12e95c184736b60df8d7cbc3

Ed in Houston

• Upvote 3

Ed, it is so strange but monstersa are very popular garden plants here, but no one has any idea that the fruit is edible and deliciosa.

• Upvote 1

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Wow, I had no idea it was edible. My plant is starting to take on some size so I'll definitely try it when it fruits. Thanks, Ed!

How would you describe the flavor and texture? Hoping this doesn't "taste like chicken."

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

They are also called the fruit salad plant because the fruit supposedly tastes like fruit salad. To me they taste like a cross between passionfruit and pineapples. A word of caution however, only eat it in very small quantities or your tongue goes numb.

• Upvote 2

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

I would describe the flavor as banana-mango with hint of pineapple. They are dangerous to eat when not perfectly ripe (which is borderline rotten). I believe that it is oxalic crystals that cause pain/numbness to tongue and mucous membrane. In some countries the fruit is known as ceriman.

• Upvote 1

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

I have been waiting for the fruit on mine to ripen.  I have never tried them before and am unsure when I should pick them.  They are about 6 inches in length and have been on the variegated plant for about a year.  Here is a picture from today.  Are they ready to be picked?

DylanMonstera.thumb.jpg.edbdcb33d21f18c08d7da

They're ready to eat when the scales fall off. Problem is they start to ripen at one end of the fruit while the other end is still unripe. So you eat them progressively. People put them in a paper bag, scrape off the ripened part and put the other part back into the paper bag.

Funny thing is that they flower and fruit better in a colder climate. Here I've had them for years and they never flower. But my Monstera adansonii and Monstera siltepecana both flower regularly.

They take exactly 1 year to ripen . As the fruit matures it slowly droops from an erect stance,

to a horizontal position, and will be pointing down when ripe .

• Upvote 1

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

I remember eating the fruit when I was a child. Served with ice cream it was delicious. I've not tried it since even though my monstera in my old garden is very productive.

I first saw these fruits in my home town of Geelong , and tried them in Melbourne .

Was surprised the fruits did not get much bigger in ideal wet tropical conditions .

• Upvote 1

How cool, I had no idea, this is the standard split leaf Philodendron you're talking about, not Epipremnum aureum? thanks, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

On 8/23/2016, 1:14:39, Kim said:

How would you describe the flavor and texture? Hoping this doesn't "taste like chicken."

lol

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

On 8/28/2016, 8:13:06, edric said:

How cool, I had no idea, this is the standard split leaf Philodendron you're talking about, not Epipremnum aureum? thanks, Ed

Monstera leaf are much more than 'split' usually showing many perforations  Ed

Thanks Michael, ya, it's the same as the ones between my house and the neighbors, 80% on my property, I've been taking care of them for years and they're huge, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

On 8/23/2016, 8:11:04, Ed in Houston said:

How Do You Prepare Delicious Monster?

1. Place the fruit in a paper bag or upright in a glass, stem side on top.  Let it ripen naturally – which takes 2-4 days depending on the age of the fruit and the humidity.
  2. When the scales have started to peel off, gently remove remaining scales with your fingers, revealing the soft white flesh underneath.  Warning: this may remind you of skinning an iguana or a nightmare you had as a child after watching an alien movie.  Keep in mind, the fruit coming to you is named Delicious Monster for a reason!
  3. Using a thin knife, remove the now delicate and somewhat slimy scales from the hard and inedible core.
  4. Mix into a smoothie, sprinkle on yogurt or cereal, or eat raw for an unbelievably delicious treat!

monster2.jpg.67017c1c251cf746f5b520a6ee4

monster.jpg.50db12e95c184736b60df8d7cbc3

Ed in Houston

Nice garden Ed - I'd like to see it next time I visit my sister in Atascocita.  Maybe her Monstera deliciosa is bearing fruit also...

Jon

Jon Sunder

It is common to eat the fruits here in Malta, I have not tried them myself but have been told they taste a cross between banana & pineapple...

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

And don't eat the thin black dividers between the beautiful little fleshy segments either, they make your tongue numb too.

i think that they taste like custard apple and pineapple mixed.

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.