IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

NorCal Becariophoenix fenestralis Update

Jim in Los Altos

Becariophoenix is such an interesting genus. Here in Northern CA (Bay Area) B. Alfredii is an easy grower. B. fenestralis is thought to be difficult up here though. Here are two of my three that have done well for a couple of years in the ground. My third one, not pictured is a more recent aquisition. I love the juvenile "Windows" foliage and hope it continues for a while before becoming completely pinnate

image.thumb.jpeg.87f7d3043d5fb464e4de740image.thumb.jpeg.67c533ba4514c5c1551c470.

• Upvote 5

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Nice Jim! I have not tried fenestralis yet, but alfredii and madagascarensis have done great. Thinking of getting a large madagascarensis next weekend.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

1 hour ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Becariophoenix is such an interesting genus. Here in Northern CA (Bay Area) B. Alfredii is an easy grower. B. fenestralis is thought to be difficult up here though. Here are two of my three that have done well for a couple of years in the ground. My third one, not pictured is a more recent aquisition. I love the juvenile "Windows" foliage and hope it continues for a while before becoming completely pinnate

image.thumb.jpeg.87f7d3043d5fb464e4de740image.thumb.jpeg.67c533ba4514c5c1551c470.

Once again, grown to perfection Jim.

I won't show my wind ripped specimen but it's getting tougher and hasn't died which is good.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Jim, this thread reminds me you are about due for your end of summer picture update!

• Upvote 3

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

1 hour ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Jim, this thread reminds me you are about due for your end of summer picture update!

Next month I'll put something together.:D

• Upvote 4

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Those wonderful leaves are what grabbed me at a Jungle Music sale many years ago. They're just so lush & unique looking. Great growing Jim.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

such a fun palm to watch grow. when they go pinnate they look even more like a coconut than Alfredii to me.

good job Jim

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Alright, you have convinced me to try one Jim...just gotta figure out how much exposure to give it.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

1 minute ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Alright, you have convinced me to try one Jim...just gotta figure out how much exposure to give it.

they like part day sun when they are young. they will eventually take full sun when they mature. I have fried some by putting them in full sun. Placement on this guy and is important.

Do you have a spot that gets morning sun or all day filtered sun? That big one I have at the Vista garden only gets half day sun

Sunset zone 24

1 minute ago, Josh-O said:

they like part day sun when they are young. they will eventually take full sun when they mature. I have fried some by putting them in full sun. Placement on this guy and is important.

Do you have a spot that gets morning sun or all day filtered sun? That big one I have at the Vista garden only gets half day sun

Good to know, Josh, thanks - I have an idea!

Ben Rogers

1 minute ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Good to know, Josh, thanks - I have an idea!

sweet!

post pictures when you get it in the ground :)

Sunset zone 24

Lovely Jim!

I still frown slightly seeing my cow chewed leaves, but adding time and cutting the overhanging branches (that I can reach) has allowed more sun and better growth here. Another one I should re photograph.

Cindy Adair

• 5 months later...

What is the recommended soil for a Fenestralis? Sand? 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

5 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

What is the recommended soil for a Fenestralis? Sand? 

In nature they grow in laterite clay.

• Upvote 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)