IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis baronii

Ed in Houston

D. baronii is reputed to be cold hardy to 25F by the Dave's Garden website and rated as a 9b palm by Palmpedia.

http://www.tropical-travel.de/tropical-palms/assets/images/300DypsisLutescens.jpg

This palm should be able to grow for many years in warmer parts of the Houston area at least in micro climates. I have a fully developed understory and a SSW wall that in which these could be planted. I purchased 4 one gallon specimens of these a couple on months ago and moved them up to 5 gallon containers. Is it a reasonable risk to try these in Houston? How have they fared in Florida 9b winters?

Ed In Houston

4 minutes ago, Ed in Houston said:

D. baronii is reputed to be cold hardy to 25F by the Dave's Garden website and rated as a 9b palm by Palmpedia.

http://www.tropical-travel.de/tropical-palms/assets/images/300DypsisLutescens.jpg

This palm should be able to grow for many years in warmer parts of the Houston area at least in micro climates. I have a fully developed understory and a SSW wall that in which these could be planted. I purchased 4 one gallon specimens of these a couple on months ago and moved them up to 5 gallon containers. Is it a reasonable risk to try these in Houston? How have they fared in Florida 9b winters?

Ed In Houston

Pretty solid in 9b California...have had them in the ground 4-5 years with no damage or issues any winter.  So far they have only seen down to 30 degrees-ish though.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

That's a nice looking palm. I'd give it a try, but nobody has them for sale around here... It looks like a clumper so even if it gets frozen to the ground it should come back. :greenthumb: 

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

14 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

That's a nice looking palm. I'd give it a try, but nobody has them for sale around here... It looks like a clumper so even if it gets frozen to the ground it should come back. :greenthumb: 

I purchased mine from Floribunda, 8 bucks for a one gallon plus S&H.

I also considered the clumping characteristic as a plus for coming back from a freeze.

Ed in Houston

That is a nice looking palm, did not realize they were that hardy.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

1 hour ago, RedRabbit said:

I've heard that D. baronii isn't the best choice for Florida, but I am aware of a few people who've had success with it. Hopefully the black stem variant eventually makes it's way over here for trial. 

• Upvote 2

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I planted one last fall and my biggest concern was that it would fry come summer because it's in a spot where it catches an hour or so of afternoon sun. I'm impressed so far, I think these guys may be tougher than they look. Good luck with yours!  

image.jpeg

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Zeeth said:

I've heard that D. baronii isn't the best choice for Florida, but I am aware of a few people who've had success with it. Hopefully the black stem variant eventually makes it's way over here for trial. 

Ahh, thanks Zeeth! After watching some of my palms really struggle this summer I'm going to stick with stuff that's happy here like B. alfredii.

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

4 hours ago, Zeeth said:

I bought mine from a grower in CA and they were represented as "black stem", I guess it's too early to tell but they look more "red stem" to me. 

3 hours ago, topwater said:

I planted one last fall and my biggest concern was that it would fry come summer because it's in a spot where it catches an hour or so of afternoon sun. I'm impressed so far, I think these guys may be tougher than they look. Good luck with yours!  

image.jpeg

Great! I had somehow imagined that I must be the only one in Texas that was interested in trying to grow this palm. Last winter was not a challenge to it's cold hardiness. I plan on planting mine next late February or early March.

Ed in Houston

Ed:

Hmm. Pusheth thou the zones and see what happens!

The D. baronii in my garden suffered serious damage in the big freeze of 2007, but that was four days of 27 F, with no canopy. They haven't been tested since. (Hard to believe it's been 10 years, almost. Geez.)

I think they'd be well worth a try in Hugetown, though make sure they have good drainage.

If they do freeze back, they likely won't come up from the stumps like lutescens do. Lutes pup from the base and a beheaded specimen will grow anew. Baronii split and grow two heads; in my experience beheaded specimens croak.

Floribunda palms has some nice ones; maybe go halvsies on a Floribunda order with some palm buds?

I think your big problem will be the eventual Blue Norther of Doom that sends temps into the teens. Could be this winter; could be next century. Maybe grow in a 20-gallon tub and haul into the garage in case of the cold?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 3 weeks later...

It's very hard to compare New Zealand to USDA zones as the extremes of heat and cold (especially in the North Island) don't exist. I live in an area classified as 9(a) and relatively inland (auckland is only an hours drive away and is 10(a) to 10(b) in sheltered places), coldest night this winter was -4C (around 25F) and mine had no visible damage. I find they are slightly more tender than my archontopheonix cunninghamiana.

The attached photos are some more mature specimens in Auckland.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by HASNZ38S
  • Upvote 8

• 5 months later...

My tiny D. baronii made it through the winter fine, it took a low of 28f and a 9 hour freeze that absolutely nuked two much larger, well established D. lutescens. The palms are no more than ten feet apart.   These guys are both in a unprotected area on the north side of my house that faces miles of open water so they get blasted by freezing wind and covered in salt spray when cold fronts blow through.  I think D. baronii is going to be a great 9b/9a palm in southeast Texas, it definitely should be grown more.  The green one is the baronii seedling, the fried one is a six foot tall lute:

IMG_1624.JPG

IMG_1625.JPG

• Upvote 3