IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

DoomsDave

yes!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Newborn (fifth one) just drawn out from community pot. 

IMG_20170901_083630.thumb.jpg.46a8b2eea0

And  all seedlings from the first batch of germinated seeds want already after two months since  germination to escape from the 20 cm liner. They are surely monsters! :o

IMG_20170901_083247.thumb.jpg.5c47220f3b

Edited by Phoenikakias
  • Upvote 2

The Baron approves of Zika

IMG_3061.thumb.JPG.35447ae5722c46df362a9

• Upvote 2

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Have gone from a short pointed "notice me" to a 4" hard green spear in less than a week!

• Upvote 1

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Hello, i've been reading on this forum for while, but when i saw your special hybrid palm seeds i had to register :lol:

I live in belgium northern part, i would say zone 8, and i would like to try these!

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2017, 2:55:54, Subwoofer said:

Hello, i've been reading on this forum for while, but when i saw your special hybrid palm seeds i had to register :lol:

I live in belgium northern part, i would say zone 8, and i would like to try these!

Thanks in advance.

shoot me a PM with your address

I have so many

I could

SCREAM

Wow, thanks a lot, i've send you a pm.

Btw, i can only find info on "Brahea brandegeei", same as "brandeegii"?

Edited by Subwoofer

Kenny,

you're lucky. The last shipments from Dave never arrived in Germany. I'll claim the German customs for this. If they are not clean and the customs officer is a jobsworth they scrap everything. It's madness that you can have kilos of seeds in your suitcase but a small envelope is a danger for them. Hopefully you get some nice plants.

Eckhard

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

Really, that's sad, there goes more of our freedom. In belgium they are starting to forbid some exotics like my gunnera manicata because it's invasive, but i have to protect it every year from the frost/dead. :s

Really, that's sad, there goes more of our freedom. In belgium they are starting to forbid some exotics like my gunnera manicata because it's invasive, but i have to protect it every year from the frost/dead. :s

I just cleaned my Frankies (and all the other seeds DD so kindly sent me :yay:) yesterday afternoon/last night! They're soaking and will go in a baggie on top of my tortoise's enclosure (near the heat and UVB light) very soon. It was fun to go through this thread and see everyone's experiences with the "Frankie eggs" :lol: Those make some gorgeous little seedlings! :wub:

This will be my first time germinating seed using the baggie method since it is winter. Is it okay to use Miracle Gro perlite? I ask because I know it is enriched with Miracle Gro. Will that damage the seed at all? :unsure: It is best to mix sphagnum with the perlite? 

@John hovancsek Look at these beauties! Will share seedlings with ya! *EDIT* Though, guess I shouldn't count my chicks before they hatch! :blink:

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

On 24/10/2017, 05:16:42, DoomsDave said:

shoot me a PM with your address

I have so many

I could

SCREAM

Dave,do you still got a a few,Croatia needs some diversity.

Pm me your address and I’ll send some 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2017, 07:47:41, Brad Mondel said:

2867081D-D623-445A-88C5-17DAE6A47092.thu

what medium did you use to plant them,mine have 2 more days of soaking and then I am going to plant them.Is sand and coco fibre ok?

Edited by CroToni
I mispelled soaking

12 hours ago, CroToni said:

what medium did you use to plant them,mine have 2 more days of soaking and then I am going to plant them.Is sand and coco fibre ok?

I used 50% peat and 50% perlite. I think sand and coco should be fine as long as you don’t over water. 

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

• 4 weeks later...

Any updates on Franken Brahea babies?

Any updates on Franken Brahea babies?

• Upvote 1

Mine are holding steady with 3 strap leaves and they still have a hint of blue  :)  They handled 30º F just fine, but I brought them inside for a few days when we dropped into the lower 20's.  No photos at the moment, but very similar to Todd's (Laaz) photo from Aug. 30.

Jon

• Upvote 2

Jon Sunder

Anyone's going palmate yet?

Mine are still blades of (fat) grass.

One of mine was covered in scale so I left it out in the deep freeze. I think I saved it :drool:

• Upvote 1

Tyler

Coastal Zone 9a

''Karma is a good girl, she just treats you exactly how you treat her"

I just snapped a photo of 2 of mine.  I hadn't noticed but it looks like a couple of new leaves make the total of 5, but still no palmate.

Jon

001.JPG

• Upvote 2

Jon Sunder

Mine have slowed down considerably, but they are in shade, on a north facing porch and it is real winter here. Notice the sprinkler next to them? It still turns on every three days beside the rainfall they receive. No way that an armata could tolerate so easily such wet conditions here.  One or two of them are on the way to third leaf. They survive so far in veru shady and cool conditions. In a sunnier - warmer spot they would probably grow quite faster. 

IMG_20180114_165401.thumb.jpg.a9415ded01IMG_20180112_125325.thumb.jpg.6742c96702

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sowed mine November in a vermiculite baggy kept at 30-35C during the day and 20-25C at night. A fair number have now popped, 4 are pushing above the soil line. Many thanks Dave.

image.jpeg

• Upvote 2

For those of you that frequent Facebook, I’ve set up a group called “Pommy palms”, where many of the palms I’ve seen since emigrating to Australia have been documented. If you wish to be a member, copy and paste “Pommy palms” into Facebook to view the page and click “Join group”.

Hi Jonathan,

that looks good. Unfortunately the seeds from Dave never arrived at my location.

Keep them going..

Eckhard

• Upvote 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

3 hours ago, Jamesasb said:

are there any seeds left of this one? i have started collecting brahea  :)

Brahea are awesome - especially in my particular location.  I don't understand why they aren't planted more here, but they are difficult to find locally for sale.

Jon Sunder

Dave today i receive the seeds of brahea,thanks a lot!

Palm enthusiast in cold climate

***USDA Hardiness Zones 7a/7b*** AHS heat zone 7***

On 1/14/2018, 7:00:14, Phoenikakias said:

Mine have slowed down considerably, but they are in shade, on a north facing porch and it is real winter here. Notice the sprinkler next to them? It still turns on every three days beside the rainfall they receive. No way that an armata could tolerate so easily such wet conditions here.  One or two of them are on the way to third leaf. They survive so far in veru shady and cool conditions. In a sunnier - warmer spot they would probably grow quite faster. 

IMG_20180114_165401.thumb.jpg.a9415ded01IMG_20180112_125325.thumb.jpg.6742c96702

Your observations are in keeping with mine.

Same deal, too much shade, too wet, they don't seem to mind.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just when I think that 3 was all I was going to get, I noticed another Frankie poppin' in the seed cresh.  Transplanted to its own digs on Friday, we'll see if it keeps going!

17 hours ago, Funkthulhu said:

Just when I think that 3 was all I was going to get, I noticed another Frankie poppin' in the seed cresh.  Transplanted to its own digs on Friday, we'll see if it keeps going!

Did you apply the secret Triode method? :blink:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

6 hours ago, Moose said:

Did you apply the secret Triode method? :blink:

Alas, none of them appear to be black....