IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

DoomsDave

Seeds came two days ago. Thanks again Dave! Will keep you updated on their germination. 

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Arrived last week.  

Thanks, Dave!

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Received the seeds today! Any advise on how long to soak the seeds for? Any other tips? 

Thanks, Dave!

Golfing by day and palm stalking at night

DC:

Maybe soak for a day, and plant each one in a separate small pot instead of community pot. THey may take a L O N G time to germinate (year?) so don't throw them away till the seeds rot.

The reason for the separate pots is that it's going to be a lot easier to work with them than if you have to untangle (and break) roots from a community pot.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Received mine last week. Thanks Dave. Also the seeds are not cleaned, you want to remove the outer shell or they will take a looooong time to germinate.

2 minutes ago, Laaz said:

Received mine last week. Thanks Dave. Also the seeds are not cleaned, you want to remove the outer shell or they will take a looooong time to germinate.

I experimented: I cleaned half and left shells on for the other half.

I honestly can't see the difference. Mother nature doesn't remove them.

BUT!

We'll see. A good number of them fell off the plant before I could harvest, and I suspect I'll have a few sprouts popping up. (And Frankies for the PSSC Auction.)

I left them with the husks on for the multitude I sent out  because it's hard for me to shell them. (Old-age [fecal material].) I want as many people all over the world to try some Al Franken Braheas.

I recommend putting each one in a little pot or Dixie cup, which make them easier to handle when they grow, fewer losses from root breakage. I've been advised by my anonymous Brahea Bud that they may take a long while to pop - up to a year.

But, worth the wait.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

19 hours ago, southpacific73 said:

Just got the seeds today Dave. Thank you :Dso much 

I'm dying of curiosity to see if they'll make it up there!

• Upvote 1

On 12/9/2016, 9:42:12, DoomsDave said:

I experimented: I cleaned half and left shells on for the other half.

I honestly can't see the difference. Mother nature doesn't remove them.

BUT!

We'll see. A good number of them fell off the plant before I could harvest, and I suspect I'll have a few sprouts popping up. (And Frankies for the PSSC Auction.)

I left them with the husks on for the multitude I sent out  because it's hard for me to shell them. (Old-age [fecal material].) I want as many people all over the world to try some Al Franken Braheas.

I recommend putting each one in a little pot or Dixie cup, which make them easier to handle when they grow, fewer losses from root breakage. I've been advised by my anonymous Brahea Bud that they may take a long while to pop - up to a year.

But, worth the wait.

About the husk, I dare recommend that it not be removed, as long as the seed stays in the fresh air for overwintering. Husk is fibrous and serves as a sponge to store moisture from rainwater around the seed for the germination in the coming warm season. But only under free sky...

7 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

About the husk, I dare recommend that it not be removed, as long as the seed stays in the fresh air for overwintering. Husk is fibrous and serves as a sponge to store moisture from rainwater around the seed for the germination in the coming warm season. But only under free sky...

I'm removing half and leaving half.

3 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

@DoomsDaveTry to imitate dispersal by rodents or birds?

I'll let other, braver souls try that.

• Upvote 1

I've already PM'd Dave, but will post here as well for posterity: Dave's Brahea hybrid seeds arrived in Japan this past week. Soaked now for 3-4 days. I've removed the outer skin of 3, and left skin on rest. Now into individual nursery pots.

JT

• Upvote 1

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)

Seeds arrived here at 9/7 but I have gotten hold of them just today. Thanks Dave and one or two preliminary remarkable on them. They are slightly bigger than those from my Brahea armata and small than those from my Brahea aculeata. They have minimal pulp however in contrast to the fruits from both aforementioned Brahea spp. Perhaps because it receives not enough water, or rather because of its hybrid mature or even because it is haunted by the pitbull beneath, who knows...

Edited by Phoenikakias
  • Upvote 1

Seeds arrived yesterday. Thanks Dave! I hope to have lil' frankies soon ^_^

08053.gif

Seeds arrived today. Theirs jackets are off and I'm teaching 'em to swim now!

Many thanks again Dave, will keep you posted on progress good or bad:interesting:

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

What was anybody's germination rate for these?  Time?  

I got a late start and I'm wondering how long I should wait before I give up.

5 hours ago, Funkthulhu said:

What was anybody's germination rate for these?  Time?  

I got a late start and I'm wondering how long I should wait before I give up.

I haven't had any sprouts, and I got an early start.

Kris has had one sprout so far in a baggie.

I'd wait till they rotted before giving up. They can take a while.

I had one germinate but the others got destroyed by some black ant looking bug which made tiny holes in the seed. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

sprouts

anyone?

*crickets*

19 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

sprouts

anyone?

To early for me, since I let them germinate naturally outdoors.

Mine I think are pretty close, I'll let you know.

08053.gif

I have a pot that took about three months, under the mother palms. But, they're not wasting time now, happily in the greenhouse.

• 4 weeks later...

*Bump*

I'm coming up on 5 months since receiving, nothing yet.  Anybody get something out of this batch?

3 hours ago, Funkthulhu said:

*Bump*

I'm coming up on 5 months since receiving, nothing yet.  Anybody get something out of this batch?

So far, no sprouts in the greenhouse, but still lot solid and sound. I'll wait till they mush out before giving up on them.

• Upvote 1