IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

DoomsDave

Hello, everyone:

I have a nice crop of hybrid Brahea seeds, free shipping worldwide to all who want, no charge.

These are large seeds, so I won't be able to get many in an envelope.

As the pictures show, this thing is big. It was planted from a very sad-sack 7 gallon in 2006 more or less. It's now the better part of 30 feet (10 m) tall, about 12 - 15 feet (4 - 5 M) across the crown, and about 60 cm (2.5 feet) across the base. The Shoe is 32 cm, 12.5" long.

I really don't know if these will come true or not. This palm is far bigger than either of the parents, which I think are B. armata and B. brandeegii.

Full sun, regular water for fastest growth, will survive serious desert conditions. (Sahara? Saudi Arabia? Atacama? No problem!) Please don't plant under utility wires!

I've been advised to plant each seed in a deep pot or cup to avoid disturbance of the roots when small. I've also been advised to wait till the plants form a number of leaves before trying to move them; they survive root breakage better that way.

GIVEAWAY INSTRUCTIONS

PM DoomsDave

Put "Brahea seeds" in the message line

Give me your full mailing address.

IMG_4675.thumb.JPG.ec3193d84bb9430e370cdIMG_4676.thumb.JPG.4b93c6a0da8b1e71d2e3fIMG_4677.thumb.JPG.32155e544aad89da66149IMG_4680.thumb.JPG.564fa6f0b0a2ecf2f5ae0

• Upvote 7

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

There's a good number of seeds.

These should grow in a wide range of places: South America, South Africa, South Australia, Northern California, Northern Ireland . . .

• Upvote 3

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

There's still plenty to be had.

The best things in life are FREEEEEE, like your mattress . . . . .

• Upvote 2

Still available

Still free

• Upvote 1

PM sent

:D 

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

There's more if you want!

Don't be shy, just ask.

I want to Franken Brahea the World!

muah ha ha ha ha, etc.

• Upvote 1

freeeee

Any left for a small botanical garden down on Miami Beach?

2000 convention center Dr. Miami Beach, Fl. 33139 is our address. Anything is ALWAYS appreciated! Thanks in advance!

• Upvote 1

Just now, Mandrew968 said:

Any left for a small botanical garden down on Miami Beach?

2000 convention center Dr. Miami Beach, Fl. 33139 is our address. Anything is ALWAYS appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Please shoot me a PM!

So you don't lose out.

Even Al Franken Approves!

Al Franken Official Senate Portrait.jpg

• Upvote 3

He still approves!

Still available!

doink

oink

ink

Still available, send an address!

Come and get 'em . . .

REQUEST SEEDS FROM DAVE!!!  

still collecting requests

I think yours is in there

That was more an command to everybody else!

On 8/24/2016, 6:37:31, Funkthulhu said:

That was more an command to everybody else!

I guess y uo're not in there . .

If you want some, send a PM with address

I've seen this in person and I believe they should be spread worldwide.  Thanks for the offer Dave! Always good to receive some fresh seeds sprout! ☺

• Upvote 1

On 8/27/2016, 4:17:22, DoomsDave said:

I guess y uo're not in there . .

If you want some, send a PM with address

Weirdness, bumped my PM

Yo yo yo yo!

Mailed the seeds today!

About 30 envelopes, each with about 9 seeds in it. They're a bit big, and I want to spread them around.

NOTE A FEW THINGS:

The seeds are covered with a shell; if yuo throw them in the water they'll float. Crack off the shell and the little nut will sink.

Plant each one in a separate small pot, like a Dixie Cup. This way, yuo'll be able to transplant them easier.

They take about a week in the US and 2 -3 overseas, usually. I didn't clean them (hands hurt, alas) but they should be good. And if not, well, no harm no foul. I've been advised to expect germination over the winter; some this year, some later.

IMG_4698.thumb.JPG.e64880bbff6cf2fdc146f

• Upvote 4

Here's a pic of the envelopes, piled in my Lair Chair.

One of them is going to France. Others are going to Texas, California, Florida, England, Croatia, Netherlands, Japan, NEBRASKA! etc.IMG_4708.thumb.JPG.b00fba73d52047aaef070

Zika the Cat approves! Well, she approves of everything . . .

IMG_4706.thumb.JPG.eb4df5992326efcc9ec5f

• Upvote 7

Kommandant Komfy also approves!image.thumb.jpeg.f117f93cd0e243aec9bc48a

• Upvote 10

So let me know when you get them, and when they sprout.

I've had the gratification of seeing other seeds sent to others grow up and hope the same happens here.

Keep a couple of other things in mind:

These are hybrids and they may turn out to be either non-viable or have a low viability rate. Hope not. The little nuts sink like stones.

The goal was to spread them as far and wide across the globe as possible.

There's more seeds but I want to give others who might be interested a chance to get some, too.

Thanks to all for your participation in this great experiment.

• Upvote 2

Hopefully we'll get some Young FrankenBrahea :bemused:

download (22).jpg

• Upvote 3

Tyler

Coastal Zone 9a

''Karma is a good girl, she just treats you exactly how you treat her"

2 hours ago, Xhoniwaters1 said:

Hopefully we'll get some Young FrankenBrahea :bemused:

download (22).jpg

If they come true, it will be like that, without the stitches . . . .

• Upvote 1

Hopefully I will be able to make a collection. You need at least 3 alive to make a collection. :D

Tyler

Coastal Zone 9a

''Karma is a good girl, she just treats you exactly how you treat her"

There's still a few left.

Let me know, Joe, or Jo.

Received seeds yesterday, they are soaking up for planting right now.

Thanks again Dave, I look forward to raising these monsters.

2 hours ago, knell said:

Received seeds yesterday, they are soaking up for planting right now.

Thanks again Dave, I look forward to raising these monsters.

You're welcome!

I look forward to watching them grow!

Spanning the globe to Brahea-cize it . . . .