IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butia Eriospatha x Jubaea

Bananengeknl

Looks like it wants to go in the ground.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Nice!   Totally amazing trees.  I am still a bit confused on Butia.. but no doubt that palm will be spectacular..

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

Is there an advantage to crossing these two, or just purely aesthetics? Nice looker.

Cheers, Barrie. 

On 12/8/2016 19:36:30, Las Palmas Norte said:

Is there an advantage to crossing these two, or just purely aesthetics? Nice looker.

Cheers, Barrie. 

The cross could led to a nice palm (check out on google to see some pics) and it's also interesting due to the hybrid vigor, getting a highier growth rate that a plain butia o jubaea

08053.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I wish I could get my hands on one of those in the UK. That is on the top of my wish list, keep us posted as to its hybrid vigour.:greenthumb:.

Old picture of my juabea x butia.  Plant that sucker in a big pot.  Mine is in a large rubber trash can.

IMG_4538 (2).JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

God bless America...

and everywhere else too.

On August 15, 2016 2:29:29 AM, Sanips said:

The cross could led to a nice palm (check out on google to see some pics) and it's also interesting due to the hybrid vigor, getting a highier growth rate that a plain butia o jubaea

In my climate pure butia is much faster growing than any hybrid, but the hybrids are diffidently hardier than pure butia. Thats what I’ve noticed for me. Should be the same for you Barrie. 

Edited by Palm crazy

17 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

In my climate pure butia is much faster growing than any hybrid, but the hybrids are diffidently hardier than pure butia. Thats what I’ve noticed for me. Should be the same for you Barrie. 

Sure, Hybrid vigour is not always guaranteed. Thanks to share with us your own experience in your climate.

08053.gif

Sanips most of my feather palms are only 5 years old, all my older ones died about 10 years ago so I am starting over with new ones. The climate here is very marine and a lot cooler in summer than most other places in USA. And very grey and rainy in fall- winter, which reminds me moss growing season is just about to happen since the nights are cooling off more now and we recieved some rain finally after 6 weeks with out any. 

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎14‎/‎09‎/‎2016‎ ‎20‎:‎09‎:‎52, Palm crazy said:

Sanips most of my feather palms are only 5 years old, all my older ones died about 10 years ago so I am starting over with new ones. The climate here is very marine and a lot cooler in summer than most other places in USA. And very grey and rainy in fall- winter, which reminds me moss growing season is just about to happen since the nights are cooling off more now and we recieved some rain finally after 6 weeks with out any. 

Your climate seems  very similar to mine on the  Welsh coast from what you say. What palms can you grow successfully in your yard/garden.

Jungle Jas. I think wales is 8b, I am in 8a. So theres that, but my spring weather will be slightly warmer than yours and my winters are wetter and summers dryer than yours I believe. I just grow the usual hardy stuff. Trachy, butia x J, jubaea x B, chamaedorea radicals, sable bermudana, BXQ, chamerops, that pretty much all I can grow here. But I think your winters are warmer over all than mine, even though are highs and lows are pretty close in winter. 

I would guess your summers are hotter than mine, normally we only get 10 to 20 days above 20C which means some palms grow very slowly but do not get killed by the winter weather. Therefor we don't grow Sables as they just don't grow.

• 4 months later...