IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Tallest Palm You Have Ever Seen

PalmTreeDude

On August 11, 2016 at 12:04:42 AM, DoomsDave said:

Beverly Hills

Looks like Beverly Hills but I took this photo in Redlands, CA. 

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

23 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

I’m a little confused concerning the authorship of this photo: Was it taken by yourself @grant b. or by Jeff, as @Pedro 65 wrote above? :huh:

I did not take the photo you are confused about.  I was merely posting it directly in the thread so users would not have to click a link to view it.  However, I did take the other photo I posted.

Grant
Long Beach, CA

Always enjoy when this topic comes up. Some amazing tall palms out there. 

Here are a few photos that I've posted before, but I never tire looking at them. 

The first photo is a very tall Bactris gasipaes in a garden just north of Hilo taken about six years ago. 

The next two are of royal palms in Foster BG, Honolulu. Lucky lightning is a rarity here in Hawaii.   

IMG_8971.jpg

IMG_4533.jpg

IMG_4634.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

On 8/12/2016, 10:55:37, Kris said:

Now to Palmyra Palm tree visuals..

57ade2a332065_01B.FTREES_1410.thumb.jpg.

57ade2bd1d627_02B.FTREES_1419.thumb.jpg.

57ade2d59d67f_03B.FTREES_1424.thumb.jpg.

57ade2eef2dd8_04B.FTREES_1423.thumb.jpg.

57ade305912d1_06B.FTREES.thumb.jpg.b6fa8

57ade33cf307b_05B.FTREES.thumb.jpg.62f04

57ade3557411e_07B.FTREES.thumb.JPG.19d83

Love,

Kris.

Those are awesome pictures! Thank you for sharing them!! :D

• Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

Pretty sure a Washingtonia in south San Diego (along 5 fwy by main st. 6 miles from the border)   or in Todos Santos, Baja Sur.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

tallest ive ever seen are robustas in LA, tallest nearby is this monster down the street from where i work, the roots alone are about as tall as i am

image.thumb.jpeg.bd0c26e82ca7f3ff521e1cc

• Upvote 1

These are the 25 metre Carpies in my garden mentioned before. (Bit difficult to get into a spot where you can get a good photo of the full height.)

gw_n_16081402.jpg

• Upvote 2

Tallest I've seen is probably R. regia in habitat. It was hard to get a good pic of them though because of how close together everything was. 

IMG_5201.thumb.JPG.f2c659a656b6c373f2022

• Upvote 2

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

On 8/10/2016, 12:48:24, IHB1979 said:
On 8/10/2016, 12:48:24, IHB1979 said:

Here's a large CIDP at McKee Botanical Garden in Vero Beach. Also a very large Royal in the back ground, left of the CIDP.  

IMG_2700_zps53cc4d5a.jpg

Some tall Sabels at McKee Botanical Garden in Vero Beach.

IMG_2721_zpsa214f32a.jpg

Took this photo at Fairchild. Not sure of the species, but very tall.

IMG_0550_zpsizktgqdt.jpg

Here's a large CIDP at McKee Botanical Garden in Vero Beach. Also a very large Royal in the back ground, left of the CIDP.  

IMG_2700_zps53cc4d5a.jpg

Some tall Sabels at McKee Botanical Garden in Vero Beach.

IMG_2721_zpsa214f32a.jpg

Took this photo at Fairchild. Not sure of the species, but very tall.

IMG_0550_zpsizktgqdt.jpg

I'm pretty sure that the tall Fairchild palm is Coccothrinax barbadensis. Montgomery also has some really tall ones.

• Upvote 1

• 11 months later...

Let me throw a twist into this thread:  What palms, if any, can reach 40+ feet or 12+ metres in less than twenty years?  ....apart from Pigafetta.

During the biennial in New Caledinia in 2000, we were taken one day to see the Royal Palms. Being from Florida and having over twenty mature Royals in our garden we were not too excited for the day's event. That changed when we stopped and stepped off the bus. These Royals had been planted in or near 1860. I asked my wife to take a picture of me standing in front of these and to get back far enough to get the entire tree in the picture. I look like a small ant or dirt smudge at the base of these giant trees. We ate dinner at this location and were entertained with chamber music. As darkness descended our hosts fired up a large generator and lit the Royals with spotlights looking up. For anyone there is was a magical evening. I'll try and find some pictures. 

This Phoenix canariensis in Santiago-Chile  is the tallest I´ve seen.

DSCN8535.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

probably these robusta in sarasota.  however ive seen comparable sabals in crystal river

20170416_115832.thumb.jpg.e4d3cf7db394c320170416_115834.thumb.jpg.6f730e71edf3f4

• 4 years later...
On 8/10/2016 at 11:05 AM, Eric in Orlando said:

The tallest palms I have ever seen are Washingtonia in SoCA and Phoenix, AZ and Roystonea specimens in SoFL.

These are the 2 tallest Sabal palmetto I have come across;

100_2614.jpg

100_7246.jpg

Do those palms bend toward the west like they do here in Southern California?