IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Tallest Palm You Have Ever Seen

PalmTreeDude

What is the tallest palm tree you have ever seen? For me, I have seen this HUGE Washingtonia robusta (on the east coast) in front of a hotel a few years back and it was truly amazing how tall it was.

• Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

Whoo, good question.

The tallest in my garden, far and away, is caryota urens at about 70 feet.

I once saw another urens in downtown Los Angeles, next to a skyscraper, and it was 12 - 13 stories tall, 120-130 feet.

I've seen hundred foot CIDPs.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

5 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Whoo, good question.

The tallest in my garden, far and away, is caryota urens at about 70 feet.

I once saw another urens in downtown Los Angeles, next to a skyscraper, and it was 12 - 13 stories tall, 120-130 feet.

I've seen hundred foot CIDPs.

Woah! Please post a picture of the caryota urens! 

PalmTreeDude

The one in LA was cut down years ago.

I'll have to wait till tomorrow to get a pic of my specimen, which is seeding.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I have seen a Jamaican Tall coconut palm growing up through the jungle canopy on the island of St. John in the Virgin Islands back in 1986 that was probably 100 ft. to 110 ft. tall, and I have seen some very robust Jamaican Talls on the south side of Lake Okeechobee in South Bay or Clewiston back in 2000 or 2001 that were probably at least 80 ft. tall.  There were also some 100 ft. tall very robust Florida Royals there too on the south side of the lake.

• Upvote 1

On my place I've got a number of Carpies that are 25 metres tall and two Coconuts a little bit taller than those. But the tallest palm I'd say was a Coconut I saw growing in a valley behind Stratford near Cairns that would have been well over 30 metres. It would have been protected by Mount Whitfield from cyclones and strong winds generally. Haven't particularly noticed it in recent visits though.

Here is the tallest Sabal I have ever seen, installed in a landscape--Raymond Jungles did this, down on Miami Beach.

sabal.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Hard to get a judge of the size, but it's taller than the building. I always get a kick out of seeing huge specimen palms that are considered slow and not a tall palm.

sabal2.jpg

• Upvote 2

Here is a very tall Sabal palmetto. And it was a night pic. (Can't really see exactly how tall it was in the picture, but this thing was massive!)

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

Here's a large CIDP at McKee Botanical Garden in Vero Beach. Also a very large Royal in the back ground, left of the CIDP.  

IMG_2700_zps53cc4d5a.jpg

Some tall Sabels at McKee Botanical Garden in Vero Beach.

IMG_2721_zpsa214f32a.jpg

Took this photo at Fairchild. Not sure of the species, but very tall.

IMG_0550_zpsizktgqdt.jpg

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, IHB1979 said:

Here's a large CIDP at McKee Botanical Garden in Vero Beach. Also a very large Royal in the back ground, left of the CIDP.  

Some tall Sabels at McKee Botanical Garden in Vero Beach.

Took this photo at Fairchild. Not sure of the species, but very tall.

That's a wonderful CIDP specimen for Florida. When they're perfectly grown like that, they are some of the most magnificent palms IMO. Around my area, they are so underwhelming in size and constantly overpruned or burnt from cold.

Various Washingtonia robusta in Florida, I've even seen some obscenely tall ones there like those in California, and it never ceases to amaze me that they haven't been struck by lightning or leveled by a hurricane.

The tallest palms I have ever seen are Washingtonia in SoCA and Phoenix, AZ and Roystonea specimens in SoFL.

These are the 2 tallest Sabal palmetto I have come across;

100_2614.jpg

100_7246.jpg

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

The tallest Coccothrinax barbadensis I have seen, at The Kampong in Miami;

2015-01-23094-1.jpg

• Upvote 3

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

ive been to the valle de cocora in Colombia and its a must see for any palm tree lovers. pictures do not do it justice57ab6e8345b7a_Ceroxylonquindiuense-Valle

• Upvote 12

Grant
Long Beach, CA

This is the only picture I could find on my work computer from that trip.  I must have kept it for a background wallpaper.

post-6225-0-14344200-1344571840.thumb.jp

• Upvote 10

Grant
Long Beach, CA

image.thumb.jpeg.1e439e49ff55ee64872b195

Washingtonia robusta in Southern California of course but I did see a very very tall Sabal palmetto at Disney world in Orlando. 

• Upvote 4

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

6 hours ago, Brad Mondel said:

image.thumb.jpeg.1e439e49ff55ee64872b195

Washingtonia robusta in Southern California of course but I did see a very very tall Sabal palmetto at Disney world in Orlando. 

Beverly Hills

• Upvote 1

Here are two photos I took before I really got into palms,

At that times I had already liked the way they look and how they somehow influenced a scenery/spot with their sheer existence.

That one was taken on Rarotonga in 2005...

069-Rar-day2.thumb.JPG.4bd0748a2adff17cb

...and this one around Christmas in 2007...

128-Dec25-SR.thumb.JPG.6c7777fe19d5de543

with this awesome looking Borassus flabellifer at Angkor Wat in Cambodia.

best regards

palmfriend

• Upvote 4

The tallest palms I've seen in person were these coconut palms (I guess Hawaiian tall) in Honolulu near Waikiki.

DSC01712.JPG

DSC01714.JPG

• Upvote 2

In Peradeniya Botanical gardens in Kandy, Sri Lanka we saw some really tall palms when we visited the place a few years ago. I wasn't too addicted into palms then and I don't have many photos. That day was raining and the quality of the photos is not the best.

DSC00964.JPG

DSC00966.JPG

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, grant b. said:

ive been to the valle de cocora in Colombia and its a must see for any palm tree lovers. pictures do not do it justice57ab6e8345b7a_Ceroxylonquindiuense-Valle

I’m a little confused concerning the authorship of this photo: Was it taken by yourself @grant b. or by Jeff, as @Pedro 65 wrote above? :huh:

• Upvote 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

There is a nice collection of large palms at Hearst Castle in California; mainly Washingtonia and Phoenix.  Great palm landscaping ideas there too.

2016-08-12_08-54-57.jpg

2016-08-12_08-58-59.jpg

2016-08-12_08-59-51.jpg

2016-08-12_09-00-09.jpg

2016-08-12_09-00-34.jpg

• Upvote 6

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

Hi,

The tallest palm that i have seen and photographed are Corypha Macropoda(belonging to C.Utan family) and Borassus Flabifier Palm.And what my eyes saw,those photos taken never justify it..

Here are stills of Corypha Macropoda Palm at its final stage !  This palm is clearly visible from to 2 to 3 kms distance.

C.M_04.thumb.jpg.b687bb3c814a1a8f8b2a04c

C.M_016.thumb.jpg.9168d7bd116b01ab8507d8

C.M_017.thumb.jpg.934a16d3a8ed71613f4918

C.M_014.thumb.jpg.e70b2c8811ccee2cb22cb1

C.M_013.thumb.jpg.1bad66e5bd2efb8d280696

• Upvote 4

love conquers all..

43278.gif