IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

you cant really "zone push"...

trioderob

Governor Jerry Brown is also an ex-Jesuit seminarian.

Wonder how god would call satan? And how either would answer?

The diety net?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

3 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Governor Jerry Brown is also an ex-Jesuit seminarian.

Wonder how god would call satan? And how either would answer?

The diety net?

The last few times those phones rang they were collect calls. Ironically, it was on the poor mortals' dime.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Just now, GottmitAlex said:

The last few times those phones rang they were collect calls. Ironically, it was on the poor mortals' dime.

LOL

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave and GmA,

it might be a bad timing to step in here but I thought - now or never;) - to express what

I think of this very interesting matter...

1. the statement of this thread and "what I think in general":

Well, I think that you can not PUSH zones (e.g. the tropics) in the meaning of planting something tropical

in non-tropical areas to make them tropical - that`s what the term "zone-pushing" in my opinion literally suggests...

I think, historically, vegetation in an area is a RESULT of climatic conditions as a matter of fact. (But on the other

hand, a rapid change of a local vegetation may have an influence on the meteorological situation, e.g. in the

Amazon area - as well.)

2. exceptions:

As mentioned before, there are zones within zones (colder, wet areas in the tropics or even dryer ones and so on)

with a huge range of variations or diversifications, that are - at least in my opinion - constantly moving due geological

developments. Those zones are giving someone (interested) the opportunity to pick up something out of those areas and

to grow it successfully under his/her local conditions.

3. further exceptions:

Another interesting aspect is, that until now geographically totally separated areas may have developed a very similar

climate during the last centuries, so that you can grow something from area A in area B successfully without much

caretaking [e.g. probably a Beccariophoenix alfredii in Cal]

4. futher/further exceptions ;)

Furthermore it should be kept in mind that there are a lot of microclimates that allow to grow e.g. tropical plants in

geographically non-tropical areas without much assistance or caretaking.

5.futher/further/further exceptions ;);)

And here is, where this forum and its members come into play - people who caring about their palms more than others and

who try to make the surrounding conditions as suitable as possible to grow them successfully - supported by a large community

of enthusiasts worldwide...:greenthumb:

So, after all, a long statement put in short words:

There is a white and black area without doubt, but with a definitely huge area of grey as well.

best regards

• Upvote 2

Thank you Palmfriend. Your conscientious opinion is sobering, refreshing and gives hope. 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

• 5 months later...
On 8/10/2016, 3:10:04, SailorBold said:

lol..  Are you trying to get a rise?  I zone push because I want to see if it can be done..and try things in my climate that haven't been attempted before..  If it works out... great..  if not.. that's ok too.  My high desert climate is difficult for any plant...  once the sun goes down.. the temperature drops like a rock... which creates its own challenges. Filifera will grow here.. is it the ideal climate?  No not at all.. but if you provide a more ideal condition than it would get elsewhere.. than perhaps it will grow better than its natural habitat.

Albuquerque has the 2nd (worst?) largest Urban Heat Island effect in the US..    That changes the climate locally.. so it also changes what might be possible to cultivate.  That's why I do it. 

CNT4F5LWsAEh8RA.png

Agreed on "pushing", which might actually be trialing if done well!

While I wouldn't plan on global climate change to boost you or I even one USDA zone this century, trying plants naysayers never tried or don't get is worthwhile. As your urban forest of cold-climate and/or mesic species declines even more, you can only benefit using every xeric, native and adapted tree. 

No offense intended towards you - that image on the ABQ urban heat island looks dubious; I was baffled finding it last summer. Daily and long-term climate records in the SW and ABQ, and how the Sunport is set into desert grassland along well-ventilated Tijeras Arroyo w/ little built area, imply a weak UHI at most. I also couldn't find the "rural area" stations and their periods of record referenced; until I see that, my guess is they used cooler areas to back up their hypothesis (Santa Fe, Grants, Cedar Crest, or even the Crest), not representative locations. Las Vegas NV, El Paso, Miami, and Phoenix are some strong UHIs.

The online Western Regional Climate Center is good to compare ABQ to places at similar elevations W of the central mountains...i.e. rural Bernalillo, Belen, Placitas, Los Lunas, Socorro, Laguna Pueblo...little difference. If ABQ increased 22F while those didn't, that image is onto something. Other than the cool '60's to '80's period, it's changed little from the 1890's to now, not even 5F, and some of that is moving from downtown to the current SE heights.

MesoWest is good to verify daily weather, each county can be sorted by elevation, and they archive data. One can see the same patterns over and over, where ABQ is like or unlike, and even the few valley stations much warmer or colder than most of town, the foothills, or the E Mtns.

21 years as a landscape architect on projects in ABQ and the SW, my 2 homes, and countless others'...plus other plant and weather nerds back to the 1950's...and little to nothing plant hardiness-wise changed. Only more plants thriving, tried by folks like you or I, many unavailable 20 or 50 years ago.

I've enjoyed your posts and others', and I look forward to dialoguing more!

Edited by Desert DAC
I missed a few items
  • Upvote 2

People who follow the conventional wisdom will never learn anything new.  It doesn't matter that conventional wisdom will be correct 19 out of 20 times.  We are looking for #20.

I remember when Dypsis decipiens first became widely available to palm horticulture.

At that time no one had any accurate idea about its true level of frost hardiness. 

• Upvote 5

San Francisco, California

12 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

People who follow the conventional wisdom will never learn anything new.  It doesn't matter that conventional wisdom will be correct 19 out of 20 times.  We are looking for #20.

I remember when Dypsis decipiens first became widely available to palm horticulture.

At that time no one had any accurate idea about its true level of frost hardiness. 

100% agree, Darold.  And, I love the fact that you so graciously enable me with rationale to continue my zone-denial madness! :D

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

1 hour ago, Ben in Norcal said:

100% agree, Darold.  And, I love the fact that you so graciously enable me with rationale to continue my zone-denial madness! :D

madness??

More like a disease :mrlooney:

:floor:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

1 hour ago, Darold Petty said:

for sure:greenthumb:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

If you had experienced during your career as palm grower more than once a destructive cold spell, I bet that after second, or mostly third incident, you would become very restraint.

Are you talking about zone pushing?

Or zone envy?:D

I really comes down to how much

and how big you want to protect,I didn't just say that!

:violin:

• Upvote 2

On 1/16/2017, 7:11:06, Darold Petty said:

Yes, there are "tropical" plants that "hardy" in southern California.  I am thinking of fruit trees.  Durians and mangosteens are out of the question -- except for in greenhouses -- but jackfruit, sapadilla, and star apple (The Vietnamese call it something like 'milk fruit) can be grown and fruited with no protection.  At least at my house.

And I plan on continuing to attempt coconuts.

• Upvote 2