IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Finally found another pot for my bizzy

Steve Mac

Yep, water pipe!

I was told years ago that clear pots are not desirable, some plants are fussier than others.

Not quite sure how I will do the transplant, very carefully I guess.

P8090003.thumb.JPG.5f926d7bfa712a4c3b3c4

• Upvote 2

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Steve...just be mindful of how to close off the bottom and the same time have good drainage too...

i still believe as long as the leaf is out of soul the depth of the pit was already adequate ... I keep mine in same pot , you re-pot it and then we will compare them in future... BTW, how is the coconut doing ? Is the new leaf fully open ?

I'll glue or jam wire in the bottom, and as for your coconut .... you tell me?

P8090001.thumb.JPG.0a79bcfdffbac226475ff

P8090002.thumb.JPG.733a4b22fd37029211ef3

• Upvote 2

Cheers Steve

Sydney....you don't even freeze there do you? .... I would just stick it in the ground with good drainage and full blasting sun.... that way you don't have to mess with the roots anymore. It will be much faster in the ground IMO.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Yes Mate you are right, If we had the space, we would, but it was just one of Lizzy's silly desires,

to have one, because she likes them. Hey I understand we have all been there.

I am a bit more practical these days, we are crowded out with canopy already, on a small block,

Unfortunately, It looks like being in a pot for a few years until a suitable place befitting it's statue can be arranged. 

Pal is not convinced that a tall pot is even necessary, he is happy to let the roots circle themselves, as a lot of people do.

Which is ok if you attend to them closely. He tends all of his pots lovingly

while we leave them and go away camping for a week or two at a time,  

I would not have any pots if it was my choice. We are getting there, with only a few more to be given away or shoved in somewhere,

and one cat to die, then we are free to live like gypsies, if it is the will of the flying spaghetti monster. :P

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

11 hours ago, Mohsen said:

It seems real happy there...

No Mohsen, that is just an act,

it misses you, it is used to being sung to sleep.

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

Changing to the deeper solid 'pot' was not too hard.

I glued some solid wire mesh into the bottom, then added a layer of scoria/volcanic rock.

Then some extra potting mix and cut the bottom off the old coke bottle pot and all the way down the side.

I then slid the lot into the new pot and then slipped out the old clear plastic one.

It is much better, easier to handle and I am no longer worried if the sun would overheat the root.  

Those stones jam the pipe upright, it is more stable than it looks.

Now when it is finally planted into the ground it will have a better chance of reaching it's potential I think.

P8110002.thumb.JPG.ec4a151ed9daa81e674ac

• Upvote 2

Cheers Steve

On 8/10/2016, 11:02:06, gtsteve said:

No Mohsen, that is just an act,

it misses you, it is used to being sung to sleep.

that was funny and Nice Steve...:lol:

3 hours ago, gtsteve said:

Changing to the deeper solid 'pot' was not too hard.

I glued some solid wire mesh into the bottom, then added a layer of scoria/volcanic rock.

Then some extra potting mix and cut the bottom off the old coke bottle pot and all the way down the side.

I then slid the lot into the new pot and then slipped out the old clear plastic one.

It is much better, easier to handle and I am no longer worried if the sun would overheat the root.  

Those stones jam the pipe upright, it is more stable than it looks.

Now when it is finally planted into the ground it will have a better chance of reaching it's potential I think.

P8110002.thumb.JPG.ec4a151ed9daa81e674ac

nice Job Steve...   :)