IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Green emergent Ceratozamias becoming available at a discounted price

cycadjungle

I am checking what interest there is on these plants, but they will take some explaining. I will be buying a large collection of these plants and want to find how many people may be interested. 

The history, in the late 90s there were a few seed distributions that were supposed to be hildae seeds. Most turned out to be the brown emergent latifolias that I had available a month or so ago. Another batch of seed turned out to be this larger growing green emergent Ceratozamia. I have seen these available in wholesale nurseries in Homestead, Ft. Lauderdale, and Stuart Florida. I also have been growing these for what is probably 18 years. I have been calling them a green emergent latifolia type, which is not correct. One they are given root room they grow as fast as a robustas, but they are not that. The nurseries I have seen them in are calling them mexicana for lack of a better name, but when you see a true mexicana, the leaflets are way too wide. We found out where the seeds came from, but I don't want to make that public. These plants get a lot bigger than the latifolia. The leaves can burn at around 22f but the stems took 15f without any problems. I have been growing most if mine in 25s and get $300 for them. Smaller ones usually around $80+.

I have a lot of pictures, so we will see how I can fit them all in. Here are a couple of pictures of plants already at the nursery. More to come.

IMG_20160729_105711.jpg

IMG_20160729_105757.jpg

There are two sizes available. There are large ones in 7s that have stems around the 5-6 inch range and already have 6-8 foot spreads. This is a picture of one of the better ones to take a picture of, but the stem sizes are fairly uniform. Notice the trailer in the background for scale. Grow a couple of inches on these and about 3 flushes and they will be the $300 size. I can sell these right now in groups of 10 for $60 each and 20+ for $50 each.

IMG_20160728_112319.jpg

IMG_20160728_112329.jpg

The 3 gallon plants are still good sized. Most are going to be around the 3 inch size. Some may be close to 4 inches, but I know I will be keeping some of these to backup the bigger ones for my own future sales. These also have good sized leaves for a plant this size, about 3 feet long. These are $35 each in groups of 10 and 20+ would be $30 each. Here are two pictures of two different plants.

When it comes time, it is best to pick these up at the nursery here in Lakeland Florida. These would be expensive to ship, the larger ones, close to impossible, but they would ship pretty easily with the leaves cut off and packed like I usually do when shipping cycads.

IMG_20160728_112050.jpg

IMG_20160728_111947.jpg

Is this the same plant that was once called Ceratozamia "Pacifica"?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

No, it is not. These are much larger growing plants and a bit more cold hardy than pacifica, which is sort of a wimpy plant.  I keep up with taxonomy and location named species to be, and nobody has put a good name on these. I have been told that people have tried to go out and find these in Mexico again, and they may have been wiped out which means they may never get a real name out on them, but they make excellent landscape plants in the right area.

I guess I should ad to my listing, I am not California certified for shipping, and Hawaii and Arizona are too costly to ship to.