IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

E. Horridus flush

TexasColdHardyPalms

One of my little seedlings threw an odd orange/red colored leaf. These receive bi montly applications of osmacote with micros so i am a littler perplexed at the color.  

20160726_120632.jpg

• Upvote 4

On 7/26/2016, 10:07:35, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

One of my little seedlings threw an odd orange/red colored leaf. These receive bi montly applications of osmacote with micros so i am a littler perplexed at the color.  

Interesting color.  While I don't have the experience of looking at many flats of E horridus seedlings, I have enough experience to recognize it isn't a typical color one would expect.  Will be interesting to set that one aside or mark it's container to see what it does over time.  I have an E horridus x woodii, which had a little bit of salmon in a very yellow flush, both on the main plant and the pup.  I assumed it was some influence of either the woodii or something latent brought out by the hybridization.  I also use Osmocote, but not as frequently as bi-monthly, more like once every 4-5 months.20160506-104A1581.thumb.jpg.c2eedb89b0db

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Ill post an updated pic of the leaf to show color once it has hardened off.

I like the pots and setup. Great for cycads. 

18n. Hot, humid and salty coastal conditions.

Yes, I came up with that solution.  Plastic pallets with a wood frame and goat wire to promote drainage, root air pruning and cheaper than the trays that hold the pots and allow the roots to circle and bind up.  I primarily use this house/setup for Bismarckia liners to keep all of the roots inside the pots due to their root sensitivity. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Ill post an updated pic of the leaf to show color once it has hardened off.

Another Encephalartos of the Eugene complex which flushed an interesting yellow, but has hardened off to the normal blue green.  It is one of two species, and I believe it is middelburgensis.  I had both the middelburgensis and nubimontanus in bands adjacent to one another, and moved them up to citrus pots without marking them.  After moving them around, I forgot which was which, but as they mature it should be readily apparent.  Back on point though, I don't recall previous flushes being quite this light in color, but the mature hardened off leaf now matches the color of the previous flushes. 

So the reason for sharing this photo is more to focus on the sometimes inconsistency of the color from flush to flush on seedlings.

20160502-104A1477.jpg

• Upvote 1

The leaf is starting to harden off and the color persists. Here is an updated pic...

20160802_195308.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well, its flushing again, same orange flush....  I went ahead and repotted it with new soil and added new osmacote. 

The light green leave is the old orange emergant leaf. 

20160908_154403.jpg

2 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

its flushing again, same orange flush....  I went ahead and repotted it with new soil and added new osmacote. 

The light green leave is the old orange emergant leaf.

Sounds like a good call.  That yellow leaf doesn't look as healthy as the previous leaves, so my guess is that you are on the right track thinking it is a nutrient issue.  I might have waited for it to complete pushing out that new orange leaf.  Good luck with getting it back to the nice blue one expects from hardened off horridus leaves!

What i dont understand is why it is flushing regularly if there is a nutrient issue. Also not mentioned is that the root system looked very good.