IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pal Meir

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2023 at 2:20 PM, Pal Meir said:

Which one is the better Christmas tree, the Christmas palm or the Lytocaryum insigne😇

LytocaryumvsAdonidia.thumb.jpg.003ac54cc831cc6e1e2b8d583e089c9a.jpg

I think I know what you want us to answer....definitely agree it's a prettier more festive tree. 

• 1 month later...

In what kind of soil would you plant S. hoehnei.... I have just recieved a small seedling. 

49 minutes ago, kristof p said:

In what kind of soil would you plant S. hoehnei.... I have just recieved a small seedling. 

How small is your seedling? Photo pls!

Fine pine bark + Seramis + LECA + LECA on bottom of pot:

N16112016-10-162017-09-02.thumb.jpg.d14e5ee83e361f9306fc0549da2e3ee6.jpg

• Like 2

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

10 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

How small is your seedling? Photo pls!

Fine pine bark + Seramis + LECA + LECA on bottom of pot:

N16112016-10-162017-09-02.thumb.jpg.d14e5ee83e361f9306fc0549da2e3ee6.jpg

It is just now starting making it's eophyll leaf so it is still very small. I will make a picture this weekend when I pick it up at my parents home. I always let my plant orders go to my parents adress because they are always home.

I have read all your experiences with the former Lytocaryum species. You have done great work with these!!! I already have seramis and pine bark (2-8mm) but I could not find LECA around here. Would some shards from broken clay pots be any good to put on the bottem? I also have lava grit (2-3mm), Would you add this mineral rich lava grit in the soil? 

I also have 2 small L.  weddellianum seedlings coming my way and in my propagator I have 5 germinated L. insignis seeds that I will plant in this soil mix this weekend :). My Lytocaryum collection is almost complete.  

Edited by kristof p

11 hours ago, kristof p said:

It is just now starting making it's eophyll leaf so it is still very small. I will make a picture this weekend when I pick it up at my parents home. I always let my plant orders go to my parents adress because they are always home.

I have read all your experiences with the former Lytocaryum species. You have done great work with these!!! I already have seramis and pine bark (2-8mm) but I could not find LECA around here. Would some shards from broken clay pots be any good to put on the bottem? I also have lava grit (2-3mm), Would you add this mineral rich lava grit in the soil? 

I also have 2 small L.  weddellianum seedlings coming my way and in my propagator I have 5 germinated L. insignis seeds that I will plant in this soil mix this weekend :). My Lytocaryum collection is almost complete.  

There is a thread only for L hoehnei:

Don‘t set the seedlings in pots that are too large or too deep. The first pots I normally use are 8x8x9cm ones. L weddellianum has roots which go down deeper, the other two have flat root systems because they grow on rocks, L insigne grows on very steep slopes with permanent fresh water (from water falls or clouds). — Lava grit may be very similar to LECA, but 2-3mm is too fine for a bottom layer.

• Like 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

On 2/22/2024 at 4:58 PM, Pal Meir said:

There is a thread only for L hoehnei:

Don‘t set the seedlings in pots that are too large or too deep. The first pots I normally use are 8x8x9cm ones. L weddellianum has roots which go down deeper, the other two have flat root systems because they grow on rocks, L insigne grows on very steep slopes with permanent fresh water (from water falls or clouds). — Lava grit may be very similar to LECA, but 2-3mm is too fine for a bottom layer.

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.thumb.jpg.1df3aef7564b49d3f6807e8dc5648582.jpg

Today I have put the germinated L. insignis seeds in small containers containing 1/2 pine bark and 1/2 seramis. I placed them under the plant lights where I grow up my small pepper seedlings during this time of the year. Temperatures are around 25°C/26°C with the lamp on and 16°C/18°C at night with the lamp off.  I will place some foil on top of the pots to keep the moisture level high until they show up above ground ;) . The seeds sprouted in 8 days btw! Very fresh seeds

insignis.thumb.jpg.802623ec5f9a0ed544b64e2e2dfae9ec.jpg

Edited by kristof p
  • Like 1