IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pal Meir

4 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Spring is coming: 11°C 50%. The first day outdoors this year:

5aa2955dbf356_N1401082018-03-09P1040366.

Very nice! I'm getting the garden ready for my palms too. I'm thinking of making some sort of shaded and windprotected area, but still allowing bright light to reach the plants. The insignes can't wait to go outside!

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

As Lytocaryum insigne is growing in its habitat on rocky slopes the main roots are mostly spreading horizontally near the surface of the soil:

5ab283836fc58_N14082018-03-21P1040393.th

You mentioned this horizontal rootgrowth during one of our converations and I've been planning to repot my insignes into wider containers since. It's an interesting adaptation to it's habitat. I am under the impression that L. hoehnei is also digging less deep into the soil than L. weddellianum or many Syagrusses. And probably is also more horizontally oriented with its roots.

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1402 is also moving again. I bought him inside the house after one night -4C gave l.wedd  next to him  30%leaf burn.

Insigne had zero damage but this palm is precious and not for experimenting oninsigne.thumb.jpg.ae48f5e9d18e1530da0714

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Jamesasb said:

1402 is also moving again. I bought him inside the house after one night -4C gave l.wedd  next to him  30%leaf burn.

Insigne had zero damage but this palm is precious and not for experimenting on

But beware of wet feet and/or over-fertilizing, especially when the weather is cold or the days are short!

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

i remember what happened to yours in the beginning of winter so i'm really careful of wet feet. Also the pot itself is porous and breathable so any wetness comes through the side of the pot just incase

i havent given any feed yet  this year, when would you feed 1402 and would it be soluble or slow release feed?

Edited by Jamesasb

I am using liquid mineral feed, very diluted, depending on the weather and the growth rate from end of March to September regularly, and during the dark season only when it is growing ca. once per month.

No. 1404 is doing good. Got a new pot some time ago and a new spear is opening. I took it inside because of rough weather. Last night some large trees in the neighbourhoid got blown over... I guess I can take it outside again.

20180501_200245.thumb.jpg.d7f0470317add1

It's enjoying the company of his big pregnant cousin.

20180501_201908.thumb.jpg.41d9b393d31e94spear opening

The little ones that I germinated myself and allmost killed, are doing good too!

20180501_201804.thumb.jpg.0977455c01751a

• Upvote 4

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

25 minutes ago, Kai said:

No. 1404 is doing good. Got a new pot some time ago and a new spear is opening. I took it inside because of rough weather. Last night some large trees in the neighbourhoid got blown over... I guess I can take it outside again.

It's enjoying the company of his big pregnant cousin.

spear opening

The little ones that I germinated myself and allmost killed, are doing good too!

That’s good news with your L insigne. — We too had thunderstorms here; only one L weddell (N°1303) which was last year outdoors from March to December I could leave outdoors even on these stormy days.

• 2 weeks later...

i remember Jeff saying they are quite old, i will find out how old. i will take more photos for you once the weather clears up.

16 minutes ago, knell said:

i remember Jeff saying they are quite old, i will find out how old. i will take more photos for you once the weather clears up.

Could it be from *2011? That year was the first time RPS offered seeds of this species:

5b099a491000a_N1101-032011-10-08IMG_6467

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Kai said:

Could this be an adaptation to brighter and windyer outside conditions?

Yes, that may be one reason, but the main reason was the cold damage (sleet with wet snow) during last December, I think.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a younger L. insigne originated from Rio de Janeiro state. I think when it get older the amount of tomentum increases

P_20180722_140432_vHDR_On.jpg

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

The whole palm

P_20180722_140452_vHDR_On.jpg

• Upvote 1

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

This was my fastest growing L.insigne (Rio de Janeiro st.) from the same batch as the palm in the pics before this. Shows similar amount of tomentum then the palms originated from Espírito Santo state

P_20180722_140923_vHDR_On.jpg

• Upvote 2

P_20180722_140807_vHDR_On.jpg

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Alberto said:

This was my fastest growing L.insigne (Rio de Janeiro st.) from the same batch as the palm in the pics before this. Shows similar amount of tomentum then the palms originated from Espírito Santo state

P_20180722_140923_vHDR_On.jpg

When did it germinate? Also in 2014 as mine?

I bought them as seedlings from  e-jardim nursery so I don't know when they were germinated. I bought the seedlings in march 2013

1 hour ago, Pal Meir said:

WhatPushing spear of 19th leaf:

5b54b6c93f8e9_N14012018-07-22P1040772.th

The tomentum is not so spectacular as on @Alberto’s L insigne, but also very nice: ^_^

5b54b75bdc470_N14012018-07-22P1040774.th

What was the origin of this seeds ?

On 22/07/2018, 19:46:03, Pal Meir said:

@Alberto PS: The reason why i am thinking that they are from RJ is: Other PalmTalkers ( @Flow, @Jamesasb ) had received seeds of L weddellianum instead of L insigne that year from RPS. And there are no L weddellianum in ES.

yes the seeds i recieved were indeed L.wedd

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...