IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dioon spinulosum variegated- CONFIRMED

BS Man about Palms

Sooo.. I was digging through old threads and found I picked this up, or more accurately spotted it working a sale for Phil at Jungle Music, waaaaay back in March, 2008

varspin002.thumb.jpg.bedd081d614c6e0f7ba

The older leaf appeared to have variegation, but the newest did not. It was decided it was likely variegated, but to not fertilize it or keep it in the sun..

PS- was surprised to see that, a) my photobucket link was still working, B) that I had so many cool old pics there..

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

The next leaf it threw about a year or so later looked promising.. (sorry it looks so rough, its probably 3 years old or more?)

20160724_113334.thumb.jpg.4f5bf9a2400db6

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Then, the next TWO leaves (all thrown roughly a year apart) appeared to have no variegation :(. When I looked closer, it appeared that maybe it was variegated on one side and when it was not throwing from that side , the leaves would be normal?

20160724_113347_1469390981676.thumb.jpg.

(Note, pic would not load at first, explaining next post)

Edited by BS Man about Palms
Added pic

Well, For some reason , the 2 "in-between" leaves are not loading... ? 

BUT, I THINK I have CONFIRMATION of variegation on my newest leaf!!! B)

20160724_113354.thumb.jpg.843d309cc3e707

• Upvote 2

Thanks Jim. I was lucky to spot it. And keep it alive for 8 years!  lol  I sooo want to fertilize it, but I just occasionally add some mulch.  and I WISH it was a hirsutus!

Post it to Gene Bill, he "Loves" variegated plants and it'll grow so fast there :)   Pete

I hope a botanist will chime in, but my rough guess is this an unstable chimera. Hopefully as it holds more leaves you will consistently see variegated leaves. I have debated trying to hunt out similar variegated cycads as seedlings, but you need a good eye and some luck to find these in a flat of cycads in liners. Great find!

• Upvote 1

I think I'd be disappointed if I had one and it  turned variegated. I think they look so much better all green. 

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

I used to have a variegated revoluta, half of it was variegated and half was green. I think the caudex was a chimera. I sold it a few years ago so I'm not sure of its status. 

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

That's pretty cool looking and I'm not a huge variegated plant fan....unless it is obvious that it is variegation and not just disease or poor nutrition. That....looks variegated....kinda like that "faceshow" variegation on Rhapis sp. that Garrysten has on his website. 

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Yeah, I'm the same way David. I think half the stuff I see in nursuries, etc is from malnutrition, not true variegation. I don't know much on the actually causes or forms, but to me it seems like a "corner" of the seed/plant has the variegation, and when It throws a leaf to that side, it comes out variegated. It is very slow. 

I happened upon a variegated agave type plant the same way, it had a "corner" variegated.  It finally threw a flower/seed? stalk, and the little puplets or whatever they are called, were all evenly variegated, on the other side or areas, they all looked normal. I now have two ones starting to get up to size a bit. (The plant had been hacked and was about to be removed, so I was lucky to get them from a customers yard)

WOW Bill!  That is awesome.  I have been hunting and inquiring about one of these for ages.  Only came across 1 so far, but it was apart of a collection, and had already sold........  Still looking to this day.......;)

DSC_1487.JPG

• Upvote 2