IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Patio makeover choices???

Palm crazy

Next year I plan on redecorating my back porch and patio area. Personally I am not a big fan of torch lights and tiki statue. I do like looking at them.  

My personal style is more global than that. I plan on doing a moroccan - bohemian style for this area. So my question is what styles are other doing? Share a picture if you like even if it is only tiki statues. I am just looking for ideas?

Thanks! 

Here are some of the ideas I have gotten for the look I am after on the internet thingy. Hopefully the photos show. 

URL]

3660701964_52ea855aee.jpg

8938e9effebffd9e2c9fd9d8af9fb162.jpg

33b0db63035b1a9d5aec6677f0b7de11.jpg

34b0abd44f3b445deead110487d2d740.jpg

That sort of design works in Morocco where it does not rain much.  It would not work for me and I suspect not for you unless you have a weather proof roof.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Roger:

That looks splendid, and it inspires me!

But, I share Jerry's concern about suitability for an outdoor area, rain or no rain. Sun can be lethal, too, especially on nice fabrics.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thanks Jerry and Dave for your comments and yes you both are right. Too much rain could rain on my parade and to much sun can bleach out fabric. I have thought all about these things in my head. 

The back porch faces north is protected by rain and strong sunlight. The wicker chair is only 10 years old but the cats have totally destroyed it so it has to be replace with a wooden chair and the rug will have to be replace with some more cool looking. 

DSC00137_zpslmoprhxj.jpg

This area will have the most moroccan lamps, some will be handmade by me other not. 

DSC00140_zpskdsj5fmy.jpg

DSC00145_zpsvit9nmtc.jpg

The swing has a large tarp 12’ x10’ in fall/winter. But the rugs and pillows will be inside during the rainy season.  Plastic will cover the top arch just incase it does rain in summer. This is also the most sunny spot so it will have the most wear from the sun. There is also some jasmine growing up the side of the swing and in time will cover the top and add some extra shade. 

Weather wise we have 8-9 months of rainy season with 3-4 very dry months in summer. So it should work. 

Sorry I won’t be able to show the after photos till next spring. But will repost again then. Really excited about this new project. 

Edited by Palm crazy

Over the weekend I started making my DIY candle lanterns. Heres a few of them, mason jar, fabric paint, rhinestones and a few embellishments. Each one cost around $6-$8 to make. 

Boho chic.

DSC00046_zpsrponqcna.jpg

DSC00012_zps01cdg6qo.jpg

moroccan style DIY’s.

DSC00057_zpsu27elttq.jpg

DSC00006_zpsgw6r1u2p.jpg

Here one I am currently working on. 

DSC00018_zpslj2gkhvi.jpg

I also pick out the rug I want for the back porch. It’s not really moroccan but the colours match the house colors and it very cool looking. 

This will be it for photos this year. 

Thanks for looking! 

Berto-Rug-1398 copy.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 2

Wow !   You are truly talented!  Good job.  Keep updating please..  Your garden looks amazing btw!

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

18 hours ago, SailorBold said:

Wow !   You are truly talented!  Good job.  Keep updating please..  Your garden looks amazing btw!

Thanks Jim, Here are two more DIY’s candle lanterns I did this weekend, they are Boho chic, LOL! 

I am going to put some rhinestones on the bottom of this one (inside the black circles) then it will be done. 

DSC00019_zps4dasniq7.jpg

DSC00009_zpse13l2zau.jpg

Also while going through some boxes in the garage I found these lights that look cool and perfect for the look I am after. These are over 10 years old and still work you can still get these at Target. 

DSC000112_zpsnoibh2h2.jpg

DSC00003_zpstgbpo1zf.jpg

This is it for now till next spring or summer. 

Thanks for looking! 

• Upvote 2

• 9 months later...
On July 31, 2016 9:45:26 PM, SailorBold said:

Thanks Jim. 

The warm dryer weather is finally here and I finished my little low budget make over. It a little shabby chic, boho back porch and swing set. Thanks for looking!

DSC00009.JPG

DSC00014.JPG

DSC00027.JPG

DSC00034.JPG

DSC00038.JPG

DSC00047.JPG

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...

Hey, Thought I would show some of my patio areas with illustration mood on the camera. I think it gives the garden a pretty cool effect. 

DSC_0032.JPG

DSC_0034.JPG

DSC_0039.JPG

• Upvote 1