IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cycas thouarsii x cupida

Tracy

I wanted to share this cool looking and vigorous growing hybrid Cycas.  I've not seen Cycas cupida available here in Southern California, so can't compare my hybrid to that parent, but I do have several Cycas thouarsii, so have a good sense of what they should look like and how they perform over time.  Cycas thouarsii x cupida has an attractive upward V shape in the way that the leaflets are held as opposed to the normally flatter or sometimes even a little droopy ends to the leaflets on some C thouarsii.  The color of the hybrid is also a bonus, being more bluish than the greens of its mother plant.  Final observation on my hybrid is that the leaflets seem narrower when compared to the leaflets of the mother plant.  The previous flush began in January, and the new flush is about to unfurl as you can see.  Bottom line, its a hybrid I would recommend.20160719-104A3962.thumb.jpg.6634170246e120160719-104A3963.thumb.jpg.db0381195277

• Upvote 4

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

That's a great looking hybrid, Tracy, love the color!  I am really getting into Cycas now...I had previously discounted them due to how common C. revoluta are...but that's changing now.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

The color is pretty blue, even before we see the new flush. Makes me want to see an update in a month :greenthumb:

Looks great. I was recently sent a photo of a thourasii x cairnsiana that is drop dead gorgeous as well.  Thia hybrid appears to keep the bkue color for quite a long time. 

photo.JPG

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Mandrew968 said:

Weird! the flush is green but the old leaves are blue... very cool..

The Cycas thouarsii x cupida does the same thing, turns blue as it hardens.  The earlier flush has progressed and is now unfurling.  Looks like the new leaves will be significantly longer than the previous flush was (bluer tinted leaves below holding leaflets in the V shape off the rachis).

20160728-104A4004.jpg

• Upvote 4

Thats a beauty!

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

6 hours ago, Mandrew968 said:

Tracy, I would be so proud of that thing. Nice plant!

I was at George Sparkman's ( cycads-n-palms.com getting something else, and I don't recall if I asked him about an unusual hybrid or recommendations on Cycas that he was growing, but he mentioned this plant to me.  When he showed me the little bands, he told me that if  I wanted to get a different Cycas than the ones I already had, that I should give serious consideration to one of the little band size he had.  I'm glad I followed that recommendation.  I know he grew them up larger and carried them for a few years thereafter, but I believe his website now indicates that he has sold out of them.  The last ones he had listed were 15 gallon size and from the same generation as mine.  Perhaps he will or has a new batch coming up or someone else will give the cross a go.  You can always check with George and see if he has done the cross again and will have any plants to sell in the near future.

Both these crosses were done by Greg Holzman. They are both fast growers. One of mine flushes 3 times a year.

• Upvote 2

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

That is correct, Greg did the original crosses. Later I did the cross with Cupida but not Cairnsiana and the last ones of those sold just recently. It was not as easy as doing it in Hawaii since the mother plant needed to be in a heated greenhouse to make it work. I was just able to get some seed to set on a C.micholitzii pollinated with C.cairnsiana but at this point one seed fell out of the cone and germinated in the pot the motherplant is in and the others are still in the cone.

• Upvote 2

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Nice work George. I have had bad luck crossing my various Cycas. Think I need help on timing. Not as easy for me to see as Encephalartos or Zamias. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2016, 6:23:12, LJG said:

Nice work George.

I'll second that!  As the flush pushes forward, it's almost double in size as the previous flush, although not quite.  It's also losing the green and going bluer.  More green on the underside of the leaves and bluer on the top side.20160810-104A4041.thumb.jpg.6f8d62369d2c

• Upvote 4

• 2 months later...
On 8/11/2016, 4:02:24, Mandrew968 said:

Keep the updates coming!

Had to share the nice color its showing now that that flush has completely hardened off.  It's also a little different perspective, looking down the plant.20161024-104A4483.thumb.jpg.98c33cf40830

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Tracy said:

Had to share the nice color its showing now that that flush has completely hardened off.  It's also a little different perspective, looking down the plant.20161024-104A4483.thumb.jpg.98c33cf40830

That is really cool!  

I have one myself but I sort of neglected it.  It is still very healthy but soil slid down the hill and covered the caudex, and even though it is small it is suckering.  I need to fertilize it and when it gets bigger I can sell the suckers.

4 hours ago, rprimbs said:

even though it is small it is suckering

I have to ask, because small is a relative term.  How large was the caudex when it began to sucker?  My C thouarsii all have begun to create an upright caudex after attaining maximum width before they began suckering.  I have another of this hybrid, which is only about a 2" wide caudex and this one is about 4" based on eyeballing (no calipers).  Neither of mine is pupping yet.

3 hours ago, Tracy said:

I have to ask, because small is a relative term.  How large was the caudex when it began to sucker?  My C thouarsii all have begun to create an upright caudex after attaining maximum width before they began suckering.  I have another of this hybrid, which is only about a 2" wide caudex and this one is about 4" based on eyeballing (no calipers).  Neither of mine is pupping yet.

Mine's about 2 inches.  But I would have to dig it up to be sure.  It is pretty small.  I suppose I could post a picture of it.. :blush:

16 hours ago, rprimbs said:

I suppose I could post a picture of it.. 

Yup!  You should be getting some good color on it with the added inland heat too!

• 9 months later...

I managed to locate and purchase one of these a few months ago. It is about to flush a second time and i expect the color to change quite a bit after being in full texas sun all summer.  The cupida genes seem to REALLY help the leaves from burning. All of my edule and revoluta are sun burned but this one is a champ thusfar. 

20170723_165731.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I managed to locate and purchase one of these a few months ago. It is about to flush a second time and i expect the color to change quite a bit after being in full texas sun all summer.  The cupida genes seem to REALLY help the leaves from burning. All of my edule and revoluta are sun burned but this one is a champ thusfar. 

20170723_165731.jpg

nice score!

I need to get mine in the ground soon

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 1 month later...

Updated pic of new flush still hardening off and I included a piece of revoluta leaf for color contrast. This plant has been in full sun all summer and responded amazingly well IMO.  All my revolta that arent partially shaded are yellowed and burned from the sun, but this one soaks it all in.  This flush initially came out a lime green and then started to get that baby blue tinge to it after 3 weeks or so.  I expect it to get a little more baby blue coloring in the next week and the color comes out even more in person.  It look like it has filled up the 15G pot with roots so I expect this plant to flush at least 3 times a year going forward and rapidly gain size as I just started to increase the fertilizer dosage to it.

20170923_140054.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Updated pic of new flush still hardening off and I included a piece of revoluta leaf for color contrast. This plant has been in full sun all summer and responded amazingly well IMO.  All my revolta that arent partially shaded are yellowed and burned from the sun, but this one soaks it all in.  This flush initially came out a lime green and then started to get that baby blue tinge to it after 3 weeks or so.  I expect it to get a little more baby blue coloring in the next week and the color comes out even more in person.  It look like it has filled up the 15G pot with roots so I expect this plant to flush at least 3 times a year going forward and rapidly gain size as I just started to increase the fertilizer dosage to it.

20170923_140054.jpg

Joseph, nice looking plant. Do you think it will tolerate the coldTexas winters?  Or will you bring it in/protect it during the coldest months. The reason I ask is because I used to have a cycas thoursaii that flushed 3 times a year, however when winter came, it would defoliate every time. I ended up getting rid of it because I wanted something that wouldn't defoliate.  I am curious to see if the cupida gene of the hybrid will make it more cold hardy than the cycas thoursaii. If so, this cross is definitely a plant I would like to add to my collection. 

Thourasii are total wimps and no one knows much about cupida as they are virtually nonexistent outside of their natural range.  However I know that Cairnsianna and coutsianna will take lower 20's without frost before burning so I would expect this hybrid has to be more cold tolerant than thourasii. With that said there is no way this one makes it here unprotected and it will go in the greenhouse this winter and then in the ground next year with all of my mature encephalartos, dioon, etc collection.  That area "cycad mountain" will be covered each winter.  The encephalartos don't seem to be willing to cone in pots/boxes here due to what I think is probably extreme root temperatures.

On 8/15/2017, 5:57:18, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

20170723_165731.jpg

I was just noting the color of the caudex on your plant, which appears quite sun bleached compared to the bright orange mine exhibits.  Mine looks like it's getting ready for another flush later this autumn.  I guess that depends on what sort of weather we get.

20170920-104A7540.jpg

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Tracy,

Are you getting multiple flushes per year on this hybrid?

Definitely.  I would have to go back to confirm the interval, but I'll guess at about a flush every 7 months.  Not too different in growth pattern than I'm experiencing with my pure Cycas thouarsii.  Definitely a vigorous grower for a Cycad.

11 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Tracy,

Are you getting multiple flushes per year on this hybrid?

Definitely.  I would have to go back to confirm the interval, but I'll guess at about a flush every 7 months.  Not too different in growth pattern than I'm experiencing with my pure Cycas thouarsii.  Definitely a vigorous grower for a Cycad.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Verdict is in. These are not frost hardy. 

20171101_113540.jpg

Ouch!  Maybe you should dig it up and move it into the greenhouse.

1 hour ago, rprimbs said:

Ouch!  Maybe you should dig it up and move it into the greenhouse.

Its in a pot, we just didn't move it before the frost.  Now we know it is as leaf hardy as a banana (or thourasii)  when it comes to frost.  

bummer!

it should bounce back soon since their are profuse flushers.

Sunset zone 24

• 1 month later...
On 11/1/2017, 11:53:09, Josh-O said:

bummer!

it should bounce back soon since their are profuse flushers.

This didnt take long....

20171214_162844.jpg

• Upvote 2

On 12/14/2017, 3:15:05, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

This didnt take long....

20171214_162844.jpg

A big sigh of relief :D!  Mine has decided to wait just a little longer to flush despite some unusually hot and dry temperatures this last several weeks. 

• 4 weeks later...

I saw a little of this last winter, but it really seems to be oozing an excess of starch after the last 48 hours of rainfall.  Too much water in a short time I'm guessing.  It's due for a flush soon as it has been a while, but I'm guessing with this release of energy, it will probably hold off until weather warms in late winter or early spring.

20180110-104A8280.jpg

20180110-104A8281.jpg

20180110-104A8285.jpg

20180110-104A8282.jpg

• Upvote 3

On 1/10/2018, 9:07:05, Tracy said:

I saw a little of this last winter, but it really seems to be oozing an excess of starch after the last 48 hours of rainfall.  Too much water in a short time I'm guessing.  It's due for a flush soon as it has been a while, but I'm guessing with this release of energy, it will probably hold off until weather warms in late winter or early spring.

20180110-104A8280.jpg

20180110-104A8281.jpg

20180110-104A8285.jpg

20180110-104A8282.jpg

It looks like it is about to explode. Should be quite a few leaves on the next flush. 

On 1/10/2018, 9:07:05, Tracy said:

20180110-104A8280.jpg

20180110-104A8281.jpg

20180110-104A8285.jpg

20180110-104A8282.jpg

maybe your caudex sneezed?  :D

Sunset zone 24